Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Club Membership(s) Possibility

Options
  • 29-10-2020 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hello,

Apologies for all questions I've been asking here on the Shooting forum just trying to educate myself on the laws related to firearms before I hop into it.

I'm wondering if it possible (although financially unreasonable) to join two clubs and benefit off both. For example, joining a club in Kerry that allows use of Pistols or a Centrefire rifle whilst being in a Rimfire Club in Dublin and using both clubs benefits allowing you to get a gun that can be either a rimfire, centrefire, or pistol. Even if you only attend one, such as the local club that permits you to get rimfire rifle.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

All ranges are required to have for inspection, bi-annually, records of attendance of it's members. That means if you join however amount of ranges and only attend one, but use the others to acquire a license that you wouldn't have gotten by being a member of the range you DO attend you may lose the license to those firearms.

IOW joining a range is not good enough. You must attend because, and this leads me onto the second problem, when you applied for the license for the firearm you declared its use for target shooting on the range and to not use it for such would/could be classed as a fraudulent application which if the non attendance does not draw a revocation of the license, the fraudulent application will.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 29 TrimeTime

Cass wrote: »
    All ranges are required to have for inspection, bi-annually, records of attendance of it's members. That means if you join however amount of ranges and only attend one, but use the others to acquire a license that you wouldn't have gotten by being a member of the range you DO attend you may lose the license to those firearms.

IOW joining a range is not good enough. You must attend because, and this leads me onto the second problem, when you applied for the license for the firearm you declared its use for target shooting on the range and to not use it for such would/could be classed as a fraudulent application which if the non attendance does not draw a revocation of the license, the fraudulent application will.

That makes sense. Would attending both and using each firearm interchangeably between ranges be a problem? Seems like a hassle not worth it if you have to attend both but still curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

TrimeTime wrote: »
    That makes sense. Would attending both and using each weapon interchangeably between ranges be a problem? Seems like a hassle not worth it if you have to attend both but still curious.

Not trying to nit pick lad but its not a weapon its a firearm.

Not trying to nit pick lad but its not a weapon its a firearm.

Thank you for the correction, probably best I try not to let my habits get the better of me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

That makes sense. Would attending both and using each firearm interchangeably between ranges be a problem?
    Only if the range is not authorised to use the caliber you intend to use on it.

IOW if you had a 308 and wanted to shoot it in Courtlough who don't allow it, then it's a range issue. However you could shoot it in An Roicht. You can also shoot the 22 in An Roicht so why would you join Courtlough? Get my point?

Join the range, as lads have said in other threads, that offer you the most of what you want to shoot. That also means what you intend to shoot in the future. IOW look for a range that offers what you are going for now, and may go for in the future. If thats is a 308 then look for a range that allows anything up to 308.

If you want something short term remember ranges have yearly renewals so you can joint Courtlough for a year or two, and when you want to move up to a higher caliber that they allow joint another range and let Courtlough's membership lapse and the arger range will suffice for both calibers.
    Seems like a hassle not worth it if you have to attend both but still curious.
    It can be, but some do it. Some ranges even offer discounts if you are already a member of another range. Some lad will join their local range for easy and quick shooting and then another range that caters to the discipline they shoot not as frequently such as the Midlands for F-class.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Perfect! You've been a great help, thank you! Once I get myself a car that would be an idea I could look into. I really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

There are plenty of reasons to be a member of multiple ranges.

I am a member of three.

Midlands for pretty much everything

Courtlough for days I'm off mid week, plus a lot of my mates shoot there and don't want to travel to Midlands

Balheary because they have a juniors league for clays which my son does.

I shoot rimfire at them all, pistol at Courtlough and Midlands and centrefire at Midlands.

As Cass mentioned above, if you are applying for a licence based on target shooting and specify a range and use the range then there will be no issue.

If you specify a range and don't use it then where we're you using the firearm. And if you weren't using the firearm then you don't need it.

PSXDupe wrote: »
    Balheary because they have a juniors league for clays which my son does.

Do you know what age range Balheary's juniors league cater for? I've a sibling who is a bit younger and interested.

Good to know that being a member of different ranges isn't unusual, and has its benefits, I can especially understand being a member of Midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Do you know what age range Balheary's juniors league cater for? I've a sibling who is a bit younger and interested.

Good to know that being a member of different ranges isn't unusual, and has its benefits, I can especially understand being a member of Midlands.

Under 21s are classed as juniors in balheary. Junior membership is usually about €70. Pre covid balheary had junior coaching sessions where the club gave free clays to the young shooters. You just had to pay for your ammo. So it cost about €12 for the ammo, you got to shoot 50 clays and free coaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Just join harbour house in kildare and you can shoot rimfire shotgun, pistol and centrefire rifles at 100m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭JP22

juice1304 wrote: »
    Just join harbour house in kildare and you can shoot rimfire shotgun, pistol and centrefire rifles at 100m.

Yes, spot on and they have un-restricted clubs rifles you can use, they also have (for a small fee) storage facilities.

juice1304 wrote: »

That was exactly my plan. Noticed it was same distance as Courtlough and just had a larger range of firearms.
    Under 21s are classed as juniors in balheary. Junior membership is usually about €70. Pre covid balheary had junior coaching sessions where the club gave free clays to the young shooters. You just had to pay for your ammo. So it cost about €12 for the ammo, you got to shoot 50 clays and free coaching.

Interesting. Not sure if I should join. I'm 18 and plan to stick with a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

... Interesting. Not sure if I should join. I'm 18 and plan to stick with a club.

That junior membership deal looks good to me, why wouldn't you join on that basis?

If you like the club, you'll stay long term, if you don't settle there, you'll have had the benefit of a year's clay shooting and probably some decent coaching, to get you started, at a very reasonable price.

My sugestion is to get permissions from your relatives that have land and apply for a firearms licence for both hunting and target.

As time goes on, sure, the land may be built on, but you might also get to know other land owners in the meantime, and get permission to shoot on their land, in the future etc.

Thanks,

G.

garrettod wrote: »
    That junior membership deal looks good to me, why wouldn't you join on that basis?

The price certainly is v affordable. My concern however is I'd love to shoot a rifle and afaik clay shooting is shotguns right? My interest in learning to shoot shotgun pales in comparison to rifles. If they do rifles too(which I couldn't see) then happy days though.

In relation to licensing I've heard it from many, imma just put it on license for target shooting and hunting. I'm quite worried however about how difficult it is to obtain a license still, it is almost surreal you can obtain a firearm license here in Ireland. I've never even seen a gun before. Always wanted to learn to shoot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

The price certainly is v affordable. My concern however is I'd love to shoot a rifle and afaik clay shooting is shotguns right? My interest in learning to shoot shotgun pales in comparison to rifles. If they do rifles too(which I couldn't see) then happy days though.

In relation to licensing I've heard it from many, imma just put it on license for target shooting and hunting. I'm quite worried however about how difficult it is to obtain a license still, it is almost surreal you can obtain a firearm license here in Ireland. I've never even seen a gun before. Always wanted to learn to shoot though.

Yes, clay shooting is with shotgun, that's correct.

Given the circumstances that you find yourself in, the best starting point, is to go for a coupe of beginner lessons, at a couple of the ranges, get an introduction to both shotgun and rifle, handle both, then decide.

Many of the ranges offer 50 - 100 round sessions on both shotgun and rifle, with supervision/coachig. You'll see it offered on their websites.

If you do things the right way, there's no reason for concern about getting a licence - various posts above refer.

However, if you've never even seen a firearm before, not alone shot one, then it may be a bit early to narrow it down to just one discipline, particularly given you'll need to sort out transport, storage, permissions etc.

You've seen mention above about a bus that will take you relatively close to Courtlough, there's also a bus that takes you to Newtownmountkennedy, which would then leave you with a circa 1km walk up the hill, to Hilltop. That's two ranges that offer individual supervised sessions, and reachable by public transport, to get you started (once the lockdown eases, obviously).

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

garrettod wrote: »
    Yes, clay shooting is with shotgun, that's correct.

Given the circumstances that you find yourself in, the best starting point, is to go for a coupe of beginner lessons, at a couple of the ranges, get an introduction to both shotgun and rifle, handle both, then decide.

Many of the ranges offer 50 - 100 round sessions on both shotgun and rifle, with supervision/coachig. You'll see it offered on their websites.

If you do things the right way, there's no reason for concern about getting a licence - various posts above refer.

However, if you've never even seen a firearm before, not alone shot one, then it may be a bit early to narrow it down to just one discipline, particularly given you'll need to sort out transport, storage, permissions etc.

You've seen mention above about a bus that will take you relatively close to Courtlough, there's also a bus that takes you to Newtownmountkennedy, which would then leave you with a circa 1km walk up the hill, to Hilltop. That's two ranges that offer individual supervised sessions, and reachable by public transport, to get you started (once the lockdown eases, obviously).

To be honest this is the best advice going through out your various posts.
    Once you make the requirements as laid down in the firearms license application form in the various sections o which covers everything like residency, mental health, criminal record, character reference, security, valid reason for ownership, appropriate land permission / club membership etc, etc then you are deemed suitable to hold a firearms license, so in reality there are a few checks and balances to weigh up for each application.
    Now to be brutally honest, by your own admittance you have no experience or knowledge first hand with firearms of any type, so hopefully you can reflect on your previous posts as to thier, understandable, naivety. You must learn to crawl let along walk before you run. I say this as not to be a dick but to save you from a expensive mistake or venture into the shooting world where even experienced lads get stung. One thing about this game is the very, very little return you get other then pleasure and experince, out of shooting other wise it can be a money pit that can suck you dry. Many lads hunt/shoot all there lives with the same firearms and kit, others are gear junkies (and nought wrong with that). But other lads will spend your money quickly for you and before you know it your into a couple of grand only to discover 6 months later shooting is not for you or your circumstances don't support it. Then you will see very little of that hard earned money come back to you when try to move on the kit.

Take the last posters advice spend the money on a few experiences before committing.

To be honest this is the best advice going through out your various posts.
    Once you make the requirements as laid down in the firearms license application form in the various sections o which covers everything like residency, mental health, criminal record, character reference, security, valid reason for ownership, appropriate land permission / club membership etc, etc then you are deemed suitable to hold a firearms license, so in reality there are a few checks and balances to weigh up for each application.
    Now to be brutally honest, by your own admittance you have no experience or knowledge first hand with firearms of any type, so hopefully you can reflect on your previous posts as to thier, understandable, naivety. You must learn to crawl let along walk before you run. I say this as not to be a dick but to save you from a expensive mistake or venture into the shooting world where even experienced lads get stung. One thing about this game is the very, very little return you get other then pleasure and experince, out of shooting other wise it can be a money pit that can suck you dry. Many lads hunt/shoot all there lives with the same firearms and kit, others are gear junkies (and nought wrong with that). But other lads will spend your money quickly for you and before you know it your into a couple of grand only to discover 6 months later shooting is not for you or your circumstances don't support it. Then you will see very little of that hard earned money come back to you when try to move on the kit.

Take the last posters advice spend the money on a few experiences before committing.

I had every intention on giving it a good few shots before admitting myself to it. I really enjoy learning about laws in Ireland and whilst I was thinking about guns I like doing a lot of research, good for me and for other people who are interested. I'm not 100% getting a gun, it is in the case I really enjoy it after I go a good few times. I understand what you mean and thank you. It's one of those things I knew very little about and thanks to boards and other research, I know quite a bit.

Given the fact I don't enjoy wasting money, trust me, I've no intention to lol. I do especially understand the absolute sink it is for cash tho. Which is a concern of mine. I do need to be careful.

Advertisement