Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mac forum - General chit chat/idle banter

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Bah, thought my 2015 iMac had a HDMI port...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

OSI wrote: »
    Has Thunderbolt so a €10 cable will sort you.

I've ordered this cheapo thing, coming from Galway. Looking to see if I can connect my Nikon DSLR as a webcam.

There are things like CamLink too, but I'll try low cost first.

Anyone use anything for to do lists?

Just downloaded Todoist: To-Do List & Tasks and Microsoft To Do, will see what they're like.

Fired up the 2008 iMac. Boot speed is pretty good, though it does have an SSD. Used it for Zoom on Tues and will do so again tonight. Screen needs a clean.

Haven't decided on what to do with the 2007 Macbook, it still works. :o

Hooked up the Nikon DSLR. Certainly looks better than the inbuilt 720p and it's picked up by Zoom.

However, camera batteries don't last long. I see some bloke on Youtube recommended picking up a dummy battery

Also, the shot info and menu info is on all the time. Must be a way of turning that off.

Edit - found it. Now to find a gorilla pod or similar.

• Advertisement

I've a wired large size keyboard for the 2008, tbh prefer the feel of typing on it compared to the smaller bluetooth ones.

SD card slot on the 2015 doesn't seem to work. Tried a few tips from Youtube, no joy.

Whenever I use Team Viewer it ends up that I've 3-4 of its icons in the dock, only one active/highlighted. I've tried uninstall/reinstall. This doesn't happen with other apps. It also opens at login/restart, even though I'd told it not to.

OSI wrote: »
    Is it listed under your Login Items?

Nope.

Used methylated spirits to clean some sellotape residue off the back of my machine. Worked well enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Used methylated spirits to clean some sellotape residue off the back of my machine. Worked well enough.

WD40 is great for getting off tape, label or adhesive residue.

WD40 is great for getting off tape, label or adhesive residue.

Was told it's good for maintenance of PVC windows too, otherwise they can run into issues.

My iMac's keyboard is getting a bit squeaky and funny to feel. Probably hammering away at it all through Covid has put it through its paces.

Work's been asking us to get our devices encrypted. I don't have a company machine, just my iMac. IT came back and said that they're already encrypted, is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

If FileVault is enabled (within your security settings), yes. If it’s not, maybe you are using some third party solution instead. Otherwise you’re hard drive isn’t encrypted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Anyone waiting on new Macbooks? My 12-inch MB is starting to really show its age. Interested to see what the redesigned MBP is like.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

big yup, my mbp died a battery and charge port death this time last year - got it “fixed” but it’s still iffy and is currently dead as its intermittently taking a charge, hopefully it’ll charge at some point before the new ones are released

Post edited by pleasant Co. on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I wish they'd bring back the 12-inch MacBook. The current 13-inch Air is great but not quite as portable. The Air is expected to get a redesign next year but I don't think I can wait that long.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

That niche is occupied by the iPad/magic keyboard combo these days, so it’s more like “when is macOS coming to the iPad Pro”

Finally saw one of the new iMacs in the flesh, certainly a smaller footprint than the previous gen.

Something weird going on with my iMac's keyboard. The letters q-p just stopping working. The keyboard's at 90%. I turned it off and on, restarted the machine too, but it's made no difference. Not sure if I accidentally pressed something to knock out those keys. Luckily, still have my USB keyboard from my previous machine. I'll see about resetting the Bluetooth one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Would love a new MPB even though I have an M1 from 2020 already. The screen looks incredible but I just couldn’t justify the price tag. Also my MBP handles my workload absolutely fine. Still, always that desire for new tech!

Does Calendar look different now or am I misremembering?

iPhone 15 Pro Rumored to Feature Under-Screen Face ID System From Samsung

iPhone 22 thought to be just a cardboard box and an Apple sticker.

lol, very '80s. I can't imagine many people did this, but the idea that you could was a big deal for the time.

An old user Apple manual from back in the day.

Tim Cook bio by Apt - Pupil Apple Fanboy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOBVL2Jr_Lw

Finally got around to doing a spring clean of my HD as it said I only had about 230GB left (1TB Fusion). Bloomin' video files, webinars, etc...

Now back to having 682GB free and more if I keep tidying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Order a new Mac Mini M2 yesterday at 4pm. It arrived before one o’clock today! 21 hours from order to delivery. Phenomenal service given that it shipped from England!

• Advertisement

Just spent a few minutes at the Apple store in Milan. 👀

Advertisement