Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Captain GW 7

• 28-10-2020 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Whos your pick for captain this week?

Captain for GW7? 153 votes

Jiminez
    0%
    Zaha
    0%
    but1er 1 vote
    De Bryune
    1%
    Bosco26Gary Gurney 2 votes
    Werner
    0%
    Salah
    0%
    Mane
    35%
    maddsRossie11ArmaniJeanssBenzinoeoghan104big_showShanotheslayerEvil_ClownNabyLadisthemanAll in allFromvertLuapMorzadecDice75MikeCork2009MR NINEGreen&RedCartman78How Soon Is Nowmectavba 55 votes
    Grealish
    1%
    GBXtony1980 2 votes
    Calvin Lewin
    0%
    Rodriquez
    1%
    Walter WhiteBleating Lamb 2 votes
    Fernandes
    0%
    Rashford
    1%
    Miley ByrneArealred 2 votes
    Aubameyang
    0%
    ThewhiteJesus 1 vote
    Kane
    0%
    Son
    35%
    Mr.Nice GuyRoddy23[Deleted User]RikanddsmythyGus IveyF1ngersShaneUplhealy2000banteescotchyryanp3chris445COHshineon23x43r0beaver111joeyboy11manual_manmightyreds 55 votes
    Bameford
    20%
    SkySterPáidmachiavellianmeelefantpatmacDubh Geannain[Deleted User]clawAce2007mailrewopcorcaigh07Father HernandezJust_MagiclazywholedaregoknealecatCapt. AutumnyogmeisteritsnotmyfaultGetWithIt 31 votes
    Vardy
    1%
    toutsciantheod 2 votes
    Other
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Darksoul

Son
    Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Whos your pick for captain this week?

Spurs have a nice fixture so either Kane or Son.

Bamford is on fire and could do well also.The rest of the fixtures I can't see any other players realistically.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Bameford
    Son for me currently.

Between Kane, Son and Salah.

Salah at home v West Ham (who've had a good start) and Spurs v Brighton. (who've had a relatively poor start)

Fancy Spurs to put more past Brighton, Son/Kane is a toss up. Son for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Have Kane/Werner/Salah/Son so it'll be a tough call. Currently on Salah I think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Mane
    Salah looked more dangerous than Kane last week. Not much to choose between WH and Brighton, with similar XG against. Liverpool with a better xG at home than Spurs.

TAA looks back to his best so perhaps a slightly more potent right side now, where Liverpool have been a bit more reliant on the left.

Salah has an excellent record against WH.

Leaning towards Salah but it's a tough call, could be persuaded if anyone has a decent Kane argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Morzadec wrote: »
    Salah looked more dangerous than Kane last week. Not much to choose between WH and Brighton, with similar XG against. Liverpool with a better xG at home than Spurs.

TAA looks back to his best so perhaps a slightly more potent right side now, where Liverpool have been a bit more reliant on the left.

Salah has an excellent record against WH.

Leaning towards Salah but it's a tough call, could be persuaded if anyone has a decent Kane argument.

I’m sticking with Salah. Like you say Salah passed the eye test over Kane which is always a good sign.

Salah also had 1 off the post, 1 disallowed (marginal offside) & in the first few minutes an Egan interception prevents a tap in.

Salah has a great record v West Ham.

I appreciate Kane is on fire but so too has Salah, he arguably could of had more assists this season but for poor finishing.

Brighton are not at all bad, Palace are on form & Brighton completely played them off the park.. absolutely battered them with only getting 1 shot.

Though the big concern is they conceded 3 to Chelsea & United and 4 to Everton - however I think very unlucky in the Chelsea/United game to concede that many.

West Ham are playing well, have accumulated a good chunk of points for the fixtures they had put 3 by Wolves & 4 by Leicester .. so I think they’ll play with a little bit more freedom & openness as they are confident & not in dire need of points!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Newbie20

I have Salah, Mane, Kane and Bamford. Leaning towards Liverpool vs West Ham. I still feel I just can’t trust Spurs. I’m wondering should I chance Mane? He has 4 goals and 2 assists in the 5 games he’s played. I was thinking about sticking with Salah for most games but seeing as Mane is only owned by 9.6% I’m tempted to go with that as a differential. Any advice?

Mane
    Newbie20 wrote: »
    I have Salah, Mane, Kane and Bamford. Leaning towards Liverpool vs West Ham. I still feel I just can’t trust Spurs. I’m wondering should I chance Mane? He has 4 goals and 2 assists in the 5 games he’s played. I was thinking about sticking with Salah for most games but seeing as Mane is only owned by 9.6% I’m tempted to go with that as a differential. Any advice?

It's a really tough call. Mane has looked more dangerous when both are on the pitch as you say. But Salah has penalties and it's not like he's not looking sharp himself.

Honestly Salah will almost certainly outscore Mane this season. Because of penalties and because he just scores slightly more points in general (even in 19/20 when Salah didn't take pens, everyone was raving about Mane and Salah was left out of the team of the season, Salah equalled Mane for goals but got 9 more assists). I do think that over the course of the season captaining Salah is likely to get you better returns, but over any one week it's very close to a toss up so if you're feeling good about Mane it's not an insane choice - could be worth researching if WH are weaker on a certain side or if they are conceding goals down a certain side.

The differential argument I've never really understood at this stage of the season. Just go with the option you think will return most points (unless you're chasing a manager of the month prize or something?). Or if you just like the fun element of being able to cheer for pure points. Going for differentials that you think are less likely to score points than a higher owned player is a recipe for getting left behind, honestly it's a word that would never enter my mouth until about GW25 at the earliest, I can't understand it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Aubameyang
    was tempted by Bameford but voted Rashford

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

Mane
    Salah or Kane aswell. I guess the potential extra 2 points per goal & 2 for a CS swing it to Salah i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Bameford
    Son

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭joeyboy11

Son
    Salah again and pray for my first captain haul of the season!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

at the moment I have captaincy on Lookman (Fulham) - its a bit of a gamble, battle of the bottom, lookman looked very threatening last week....but I may chicken out and change it in the final few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭siblers

at the moment I have captaincy on Lookman (Fulham) - its a bit of a gamble, battle of the bottom, lookman looked very threatening last week....but I may chicken out and change it in the final few hours.

Don't. Fulham are awful

siblers wrote: »
    Don't. Fulham are awful

So are west brom, so it's the battle of the bad, I fancy Fulham to get something and lookman looks like he will click soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Newbie20

It's a really tough call. Mane has looked more dangerous when both are on the pitch as you say. But Salah has penalties and it's not like he's not looking sharp himself.

Honestly Salah will almost certainly outscore Mane this season. Because of penalties and because he just scores slightly more points in general (even in 19/20 when Salah didn't take pens, everyone was raving about Mane and Salah was left out of the team of the season, Salah equalled Mane for goals but got 9 more assists). I do think that over the course of the season captaining Salah is likely to get you better returns, but over any one week it's very close to a toss up so if you're feeling good about Mane it's not an insane choice - could be worth researching if WH are weaker on a certain side or if they are conceding goals down a certain side.

The differential argument I've never really understood at this stage of the season. Just go with the option you think will return most points (unless you're chasing a manager of the month prize or something?). Or if you just like the fun element of being able to cheer for pure points. Going for differentials that you think are less likely to score points than a higher owned player is a recipe for getting left behind, honestly it's a word that would never enter my mouth until about GW25 at the earliest, I can't understand it!

Cheers, lot of good advice there. I know what you mean about differentials. The league I have most interest in this year with my friends is a head to head league and a lot have Salah so that’s why I was thinking a bit that way even this early! But I think you’re right that overall Salah is a slightly safer bet and I did say to myself that I’d try and stick with him for the season bar the few difficult fixtures. If I stick with him for most of the season, he’ll let me down the odd time but probably not too often.

So are west brom, so it's the battle of the bad, I fancy Fulham to get something and lookman looks like he will click soon.

But I can't see how he will outscore Kane, Son, Salah etc

Don't. Fulham are awful

I do and don’t agree.

They are woeful defensively but I’ve been quite taken with their attacking play.

The last 2 games I watched they could have easily scored a few goals.

And they will need to score goals as they will no doubt concede in most games they play so they will have to attack.

klopparama wrote: »
    I do and don’t agree.

They are woeful defensively but I’ve been quite taken with their attacking play.

The last 2 games I watched they could have easily scored a few goals.

And they will need to score goals as they will no doubt concede in most games they play so they will have to attack.

True but I also think West Brom are a lot more solid at the back. I think having Lookman is enough of a differential without needing to captain him. Although i guess it does stop you trying to choose between Salah, Son etc which is a tough call

But I can't see how he will outscore Kane, Son, Salah etc

He doesn't need to outscore them, all I want from him is to bring in points, if he gets 3 bps and clean sheet points, it's the equivalent of a goal, but if he assists/scores it will be enough to bring green arrows.

Just for the record.... I'm currently sitting around the 2millionth place in rankings, I'm not going to challenging for overall winner of even close, I play the game to have a bit of fun.

Through the years I have found it consumes too much of my time to do the required research to compete in money leagues, I do join a few but only to keep myself entertained, my highest finish is around 100,000th back in 2011/12 .

Last week I should have left my captain alone and not changed ...but because of reading that Salah was going to have a great week etc massive points haul... I panicked and changed away from bamford (it was set to bamford for his game against villa -which failed- but I was so close to having a hat-trick captain ... Which I haven't had in possibly over 10yrs)

This week I hear the same voices shouting Kane, Salah etc all going to have good scores, but the reality is, ... On any given gameweek... I might be right, this weekend...could be that gameweek.

Salah and the others are also playing champions League/Europa League in midweek, so fatigue from travel should contribute to the lack of consistency from those players.... Granted Kane and son only got 45 and 30mins respectively but.. they also lost their game and only scored 1 goal between them last week when people were saying they would get 3/4 , the players are not playing free flowing football, my own stubbornness is stopping me getting rashford/martial, grealish, Koch, klitch... All if which I think could do well over the next few gameweeks.

I think Chelsea -if they can keep another clean sheet - will be the team to keep an eye on for players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Bameford
    Is son now a risk after a very poor performance from spurs last night..... Might just stick to Salah now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,765 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Son
    Those who own Son/Kane or both, but are captaining Salah. Let me know what the thinking (or any relevant stats) was that swung you in that direction. Still very undecided and I don’t even own Kane yet.

Mane
    CSF wrote: »
    Those who own Son/Kane or both, but are captaining Salah. Let me know what the thinking (or any relevant stats) was that swung you in that direction. Still very undecided and I don’t even own Kane yet.

I had a post further up (yesterday I think) arguing for Salah, but there's not much in it. It's a tough call but I own all 3 and am going for Salah

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Mane
    I had a post further up (yesterday I think) arguing for Salah, but there's not much in it. It's a tough call but I own all 3 and am going for Salah

I went Kane > Son > Salah. I'm so so torn. It's on Salah now. I'l be honest it's because he's topping some polls and I fcuked up last week with a -4 for Aguero so I dont feel like gambling two weeks in a row. Also, Salah on pens (vs Son) and I'm thinking he can't blank two gws in a row...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Mane

Mise.

I went with Salah out of pure fear. Higher ceiling than Son/Kane for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭cizolin

Going with Sterling

• Registered Users Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Mane

Have Kane but probably going to Captain Salah.

Went with Salah last week as well and despite him and Liverpool in general misfiring a bit he could easily have had a significant haul.

He looks sharp and while Liverpool are a bit ropey defensively I feel they're going to click up front soon and West Ham at home seems like a good opportunity.

And I'm a Liverpool fan fwiw.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Bameford
    Son for me currently.

Between Kane, Son and Salah.

Salah at home v West Ham (who've had a good start) and Spurs v Brighton. (who've had a relatively poor start)

Fancy Spurs to put more past Brighton, Son/Kane is a toss up. Son for now.

This game :D

Gone for Kane (C), Salah (VC)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Bameford
    9 am this morning - Son
    5 minutes ago - Salah
    Now - Kane

I'm closing the FF tab nnnnnnnnnnow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Mane
    Had it on Kane but have switched it to Salah now. Let's go Salah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Son
    So torn between Kane and Salah. Nothing wrong with Son either. Nor Mane for those who have him.

There's is no pre decision right or wrong here.

On Kane now purely because I think West Ham's defence might be slightly better than Brighton's.

Brighton interestingly have the biggest discrepancy between goals conceded and expected goals conceded alongside Liverpool. Their clean sheets are not far away but probably not against Tottenham!

Advertisement