Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Staff - Civilian Digital Forensics Investigators

Options
  • 29-10-2020 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭

There was a piece in the Examiner on Tuesday about some imminent Digital Forensics Investigators vacancies as part of the civilian Garda Staff in the Garda Cyber Crime Bureau.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-40071755.html

I haven't seen them advertised anywhere yet, but the role sounds interesting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

That could me a tuff enough gig mentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭CFC1969

That could me a tuff enough gig mentally.

It would,nt be that bad ...

Digital Forensics works on the basis of isolating yourself from the issue, just investigate the evidence and create timeline, and artifacts worthy of comment

More financial , not much of the darker stuff that people normally associate with DFIR

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

What kind of qualifications would you need to apply?

It's interesting and yes of course some content will be disturbing but it still has to be investigated.

What kind of qualifications would you need to apply?

It's interesting and yes of course some content will be disturbing but it still has to be investigated.

There are many industry based ( SANS, EC Council etc .. ) and Academic courses on DFIR

UCD MSc on Digital Forensics has a track specifically for Law Enforcement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

CFC1969 wrote: »
    UCD MSc on Digital Forensics has a track specifically for Law Enforcement

It's the only track now, UCD haven't run the civilian MSc in DIFC for the past 2 academic years.

My only issue is that this is possibly going to be something stupid like €30k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

There's a great book - "Incident Response & Computer Forensics" by Kevin Mania et al - if you want to see if this subject is for you.

It's the only track now, UCD haven't run the civilian MSc in DIFC for the past 2 academic years.

My only issue is that this is possibly going to be something stupid like €30k

Thanks for the update Zoe Clever Barmaid

Do you know why they stopped the civilian track?

CFC1969 wrote: »
    Thanks for the update Dogg Munde

Do you know why they stopped the civilian track?

I don't I'm afraid, it was 2017 when I finished it and I haven't heard why they stopped it. I suppose it could be temporary, it was a very good course.

One of these units is going in to Wexford apparently. Still haven’t seen the roles advertised online anywhere.

Cyber crime unit to operate from Wexford - WexfordPeople.ie
    https://m.independent.ie/regionals/wexfordpeople/news/cyber-crime-unit-to-operate-from-wexford-39782272.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

One of these units is going in to Wexford apparently. Still haven’t seen the roles advertised online anywhere.

Cyber crime unit to operate from Wexford - WexfordPeople.ie
    https://m.independent.ie/regionals/wexfordpeople/news/cyber-crime-unit-to-operate-from-wexford-39782272.html

I believe there is to be one in each Garda region, of which there are now four.

• Advertisement

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I believe there is to be one in each Garda region, of which there are now four.

That's what I thought myself, but the article specifically mentions Wexford & Wicklow only which is a division, and also mentions divisional "cyber" units.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Seems to be a lot of openings for Garda Staff lately, some interesting positions too.

JKerova1 wrote: »
    Seems to be a lot of openings for Garda Staff lately, some interesting positions too.

Where are you seeing them advertised?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Anyone know where these positions or similar are advertised?

Subscribed to mail to from public sector jobs but have never seen them come up.

Advertisement