Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lock down Go Safe Vans

• 28-10-2020 9:33am

I noticed this the last lock down as well, and it seems to be the same this time around. Now that the network traffic has reduced considerably the Go Safe vans are much more prevalent on the still relatively busy motorways. Not only more prevalent, but also in places that would not be the usual haunt. Fish/Barrel/Quotas come to mind.

Go Safe Vans are far less visible during the hours of dark, especially placed in dark areas just after a lit up section due to eyes getting used to darkness again and the light absorption quality of the Go Safe Van paint.

This morning around 06:30 on the M7 just passed the Birdhill junction going to Dublin was a Go Safe Van. I passed at a 130 km ph cruise control setting, 124 km ph GPS and I was passed the van before seeing it.

I'd say it's borderline whether I get a ticket, but the purpose of this is to highlight the significantly greater Go Safe vans on the motor ways.

There was another Go-Safe Van nearer to Dublin and you could hardly miss it.

So, what I'm saying is... don't be a fish :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You're making up your own speed limits and want to warn people that gosafe are still operating. How altruistic.

You're making up your own speed limits and want to warn people that gosafe are still operating. How altruistic.

The stated purpose of Go Safe vans is to encourage people to slow down. So, by my highlighting their increased presence is a public good within the spirit of their design.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Go Safe Vans are far less visible during the hours of dark
    funny that.

a riposte which would make your point moot - you had your car on cruise control at a speed higher than the speed limit.
    my advice: don't do that, and then complain about the infrastructure that's been put in place to discourage you from doing that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

So, by my highlighting their increased presence is a public good within the spirit of their design.
    how very altruistic of you, to break the law and then complain that your law breaking is not being prosecuted in the manner you want.

funny that.

a riposte which would make your point moot - you had your car on cruise control at a speed higher than the speed limit.
    my advice: don't do that, and then complain about the infrastructure that's been put in place to discourage you from doing that.
    how very altruistic of you, to break the law and then complain that your law breaking is not being prosecuted in the manner you want.

Where did I complain? I'm highlighting so others dont fall foul.

You may take it that I'm implying Go Safe are doing it keep numbers up - you'd be correct. But, I'm not complaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Go Safe Vans are far less visible during the hours of dark, especially placed in dark areas just after a lit up section due to eyes getting used to darkness again and the light absorption quality of the Go Safe Van paint.

If you completely miss a brightly coloured go safe van, then you are not concentrating enough and probably should get rid of CC and slow down.

I personally dont have a problem with going a little over the limit on a national road or motorway, however I do have an issue whenever the person driving is not dialed into the situation they have created.
    How do you expect to slow for a hazard? Wake up.

If you completely miss a brightly coloured go safe van, then you are not concentrating enough and probably should get rid of CC and slow down.

It was fully dark. You do realise the vans appear brightly coloured in day time and specifically have paint work that doesn't reflect light. I was fully awake.

specifically have paint work that doesn't reflect light.
    they're black? or invisible?

they're black? or invisible?

You're far too old for the passive aggressive behaviour. Go back to your P45rant persona. It's not too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

It was fully dark. You do realise the vans appear brightly coloured in day time and specifically have paint work that doesn't reflect light. I was fully awake.

Lol, you missed a van on the side of the road while letting cruise control drive at illegal speeds at night but it's the paint on the vans fault.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Lol, you missed a van on the side of the road while letting cruise control drive at illegal speeds at night but it's the paint on the vans fault.

What's too hard to understand? The vans are not made to stand out. They are more active on the relatively busy motorway during the lock down.

Lol? If that is laugh out loud (and you're not in a genuinely funny group that think that's Lots of Love :p ) funny you really are feeling the effects of lock down.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I noticed this the last lock down as well, and it seems to be the same this time around. Now that the network traffic has reduced considerably the Go Safe vans are much more prevalent on the still relatively busy motorways. Not only more prevalent, but also in places that would not be the usual haunt. Fish/Barrel/Quotas come to mind.

It's worth remembering that we had a high fatality rate on the roads during the last lock down. I think I heard on the radio during the week that we have already exceeded the number for the whole of last year with two months still to go.

You're far too old for the passive aggressive behaviour. Go back to your P45rant persona. It's not too late.
    you're making claims that make no sense, it's not 'passive aggressive' to call you out on them.

go safe vans are white with stripes on the side. the notion that they're painted with paint that does not reflect light is bizarre.

e.g.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/gosafe-drivers-paid-12-per-hour-to-risk-abuse-and-assault-1.4020010

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It's worth remembering that we had a high fatality rate on the roads during the last lock down. I think I heard on the radio during the week that we have already exceeded the number for the whole of last year with two months still to go.

I do appreciate speeding can be a sensitive topic and I didn't mean to be insensitive. I do think Go-Safe vans are better suited to genuine accident black spots. Motorways are relatively safe compared to other roads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

Why are you driving at an indicated 130 km/h (real speed 124 km/h)?

The whole point of speedometers that over read is so you won't be mistakenly driving over the speed limit.

Why don't you set the cruise control to126 km/h which will be a real 120 km/h?

you're making claims that make no sense, it's not 'passive aggressive' to call you out on them.

Asking a question that you know the answer to - are they painted black... okay, we can agree to disagree on that.
    go safe vans are white with stripes on the side. the notion that they're painted with paint that does not reflect light is bizarre.

e.g.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/gosafe-drivers-paid-12-per-hour-to-risk-abuse-and-assault-1.4020010

The van was not reflective. That's just anecdotal on my part I appreciate, but I can only report on what I saw (or didn't as the case may be).

Re your link. I've no issue with the drivers. I don't condone any mistreatment of these drivers. I understand they are merely going where management tell them to go. Anybody taking it out on the van drivers are despicable.

Why are you driving at an indicated 130 km/h (real speed 124 km/h)?

The whole point of speedometers that over read is so you won't be mistakenly driving over the speed limit.

Why don't you set the cruise control to126 km/h which will be a real 120 km/h?

Thanks for your query. I'll consider it and get back to you. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What are you so hung up on this non-reflective paint for if it even exists? Should they be lit up so you can reduce your speed in time to avoid a fine and then go back to breaking the law when you've passed them?

Thanks for your query. I'll consider it and get back to you. :rolleyes:

So you're openly admitting to speeding?

So you're openly admitting to speeding?

Yes. And I was the second shooter on the grassy knoll. Book me Danno!

• Advertisement

Yes. And I was the second shooter on the grassy knoll. Book me Danno!

If a person openly admitted to breaking any other law or advocated such, they'd be banned fairly sharpish, why is it different for speeding?

If a person openly admitted to breaking any other law or advocated such, they'd be banned fairly sharpish, why is it different for speeding?

Have you ever broken the speed limit? Ever?

Have you ever broken the speed limit? Ever?

I don't deliberately set my Speedo above the limit.

You will lose control at such a dangerous speed.

I don't deliberately set my Speedo above the limit.

Are you saying speeding without using cruise control is acceptable?

You will lose control at such a dangerous speed.

Is that a prediction or a wish? I've never lost control of my vehicle. And you should contact the German law makers to let them know that all German motorists that travel over 120 kmph will lose control of their vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

you'll waste all the time you save going over the speed limit by posting about it here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

I'd your driving legally nothing to worry about??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭blackbox

When did Go Safe vans start patrolling motorways?

what a completely ridiculous thread.

They advertise their locations in advance.
    They have unmarked 'test' vans in place in advance of the enforcement vans
    They are only on straight roads which means they can be seen from far away
    They are white with yellow stripes and their identity painted on them
    THey are on the road that has the highest speed limit in the country

FFS OP, grow the **** up.

what a completely ridiculous thread.

They advertise their locations in advance.
    They have unmarked 'test' vans in place in advance of the enforcement vans
    They are only on straight roads which means they can be seen from far away
    They are white with yellow stripes and their identity painted on them
    THey are on the road that has the highest speed limit in the country

FFS OP, grow the **** up.

I'm all grown up, thanks. What do you mean by advertising in advance. They no longer need to have signs up in advance - that rule was changed at the last time they updated the locations. If you look up the roads they cover it's practically the entire network. Again, I've no problem with Go Safe vans, I do think they could be better distributed to more dangerous roads. If that's immature I'm guilty as charged.

• Advertisement

blackbox wrote: »
    When did Go Safe vans start patrolling motorways?

They always have, afaik.

Advertisement