Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ted Lasso [Apple]

• 16-09-2020 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt10986410/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

New show about an NFL coach who becomes the manager of a Premier League team. It is absolutely glorious. Haven't laughed this much in years. Watched 6 episodes last night. Also you don't have to be into football (the football is only a side show, it's a perfect comedy about life) but if you are it's even better. Get on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Really enjoying the show easy watch but so funny

• Registered Users Posts: 37,713 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Was critical of it at the start but grew on me and enjoying it. Its starting to get deeper into the overall story and its a bit dark

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I am enjoying this series, I remember Ted Lasso when he appeared on NBC Sports a few years ago. They kept some of the material in the Apple shows

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'm four episodes into this and I love it! It's so charming and feel good, it reminds me The Good Place in its tone. The only thing that takes away from for me is that the team is meant to be in the Premier League, I think they should've chosen a lower league but it's a very, very minor quibble.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It's getting better every week..

.. supporting cast are all excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Septa Unella has glammed herself up a bit now that she owns a football club!

es39pify3dj21.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I'm four episodes into this and I love it! It's so charming and feel good, it reminds me The Good Place in its tone. The only thing that takes away from for me is that the team is meant to be in the Premier League, I think they should've chosen a lower league but it's a very, very minor quibble.

Yeah agree maybe should have gone Championship club, but I suppose for the US audience Premier League makes sense. It's great though, lovely warmth to it as well as some brilliant lines.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Nate the Great!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Nate the Great!
    Nick Mohammed is brilliant.. his appearances on '8 Out Of 10 Cats' are always impressive!

Can't find his Jurassic Park Theme Tune but that's hilarious too!

• Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I find Jason Sudeikis can be hit and miss but the reviews for this seem to be good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I just happen to be looking out for random series that I never heard of, will give it a go. usual rules apply, I'll give it 2 episodes to impress me, then we'll see

It's got a lot of heart, definitely worth watching.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I find Jason Sudeikis can be hit and miss but the reviews for this seem to be good

It really is excellent and it's not what I was expecting from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Buttros

Been watching this all along. Has been a pleasant surprise. Really enjoyable. Gets better as it goes along as you start to like the various characters and want them to win

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

This was great, can't wait for the next series

I enjoyed commentator Arlo White's notes for that crucial final game!

Man City No 5 Paddy O'Gara
    Owns a Bodhran shop in Doolin

etc

https://twitter.com/arlowhite/status/1312159699916128257

https://twitter.com/arlowhite/status/1312159842644107264

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Really brings the feel good factor. You'd want to be a level 5 cynic for it not to bring a smile to your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

One of the best shows around right now.

If you enjoy hearing people gush about things you like as much as I do, the slashfilm podcast talked about this show for about half an hour on their latest episode and made some interesting observations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I watched it week to week when it was released and coming home from work on a Friday to watch this was just perfect. Nothing too complex but loveable enough to care about.
    The ending to the series was really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Very enjoyable, much better that what I had thought it would be. As mentioned earlier, would make a bit more sense if it was a lower league team but that wouldn't translate as well to the Americans.

Reminds me a bit of After Life without all the preaching nonsense, it's a mixture of being very sentimental and pleasent but also being quite crude. There are parts where it feels like it could be a PG comedy and other times where it's aimed just for adults but it works quite well having the mix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

Just finished watching this. It is not something I would have been naturally drawn to but after reading the good reviews I said I'd give it a go. Have to say it's the most enjoyable show I've watched in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

If you don't give a crap about football, would you still enjoy this? How central is the sport - does it take up much time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

ixoy wrote: »
    If you don't give a crap about football, would you still enjoy this? How central is the sport - does it take up much time?

Hate football, premiership/champions league? crock of **** with bunch of overpaid tossers. might watch a world cup but that's about it.
    Loved this show and really hits you in the feels

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

KilOit wrote: »
    Hate football, premiership/champions league? crock of **** with bunch of overpaid tossers. might watch a world cup but that's about it.
    Loved this show and really hits you in the feels
    Great, that's exactly the answer I wanted!

ixoy wrote: »

Nope, you don't need to even like football. Ted Lasso himself as never coached "soccer" before. It's a workplace sitcom, the workplace just so happens to be a football club. I think all in all there are 2 out of 10 episodes that focus on matches, maybe 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Watched it over the weekend. It's... good? I think. I'm still mixed on it. It's pretty cheesy, plots resolve too quickly and easily and it feels like nearly everyone is just right all the time. As another poster said, it reminds me a lot of After Life but minus the forced bleakness Gervais tries to bring it all back to constantly which throws it off balance.

Yet the characters here are a lot more likeable and interesting and you do genuinely want to see them do well, and I really did want to keep watching it.

Will definitely watch the next season, but I'm just conflicted because I know in nearly every other show these things would annoy me too much, but here they just... work, most of the time anyway.

Penn wrote: »
    Watched it over the weekend. It's... good? I think. I'm still mixed on it. It's pretty cheesy, plots resolve too quickly and easily and it feels like nearly everyone is just right all the time. As another poster said, it reminds me a lot of After Life but minus the forced bleakness Gervais tries to bring it all back to constantly which throws it off balance.

Yet the characters here are a lot more likeable and interesting and you do genuinely want to see them do well, and I really did want to keep watching it.

Will definitely watch the next season, but I'm just conflicted because I know in nearly every other show these things would annoy me too much, but here they just... work, most of the time anyway.

This is an interesting point because I saw this is there the show not creating conflict for conflict's sake, for instance the one night stand in any other show would have dragged out for several episodes but here it's "resolved" quickly because as the show points out, there's nothing to resolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

FunLover18 wrote: »
    This is an interesting point because I saw this is there the show not creating conflict for conflict's sake, for instance the one night stand in any other show would have dragged out for several episodes but here it's "resolved" quickly because as the show points out, there's nothing to resolve.

It was more of the smaller things I'm referring to;
    Robbie Williams can't play at the big event so Ted gets a street musician who turns out to be amazing... Ted challenges Giles from Buffy to a darts match but it turns out Giles is great at darts but also turns out so is Ted who easily pulls off a finish most pro darts players would struggle with... Danny Rojas' injury...

It just always feels cheap and easy. It tries to create tension but then instantly dismisses it.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    It was more of the smaller things I'm referring to;
    Robbie Williams can't play at the big event so Ted gets a street musician who turns out to be amazing... Ted challenges Giles from Buffy to a darts match but it turns out Giles is great at darts but also turns out so is Ted who easily pulls off a finish most pro darts players would struggle with... Danny Rojas' injury...

It just always feels cheap and easy. It tries to create tension but then instantly dismisses it.

It just always feels cheap and easy. It tries to create tension but then instantly dismisses it.[/quote]

Ah ok I see what you mean but I think that's quite common for shows of this nature,
    the band cancelling and having to find a replacement feels very tropey and I really liked the darts moment because it said a lot about Ted and his world view but agree the whole if I win you don't come to any matches was a quick fix but again I hated that Giles character and most shows would keep him around for the drama but I appreciate that they didn't go down that route.

There's no doubt the show requires a complete suspension of cynicism but that's what I loved about it. Each to their own though.

Advertisement