Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Podcasts

• 09-08-2018 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

I know there is probably a thread for this somewhere but I couldn't see a recent one.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for gaming podcasts?

I'm currently listening to Giant Bombcast and Pretty Good Gaming Podcast, but feel there is probably better out there.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,434 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I listen to a lot of podcasts in work. Games podcasts include:

Kinda Funny Games Daily (daily podcast during the week)
    Kinda Funny Gamescast (usually Monday)
    Nintendo Voice Chat (late on Friday)
    Whats Good Games (Friday afternoon)
    DLC (Monday)
    Kotaku Splitscreen (Thursday)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Retronauts(focuses on a game, genre or series per episode/s, this week's one was BioShock so it ain't always 8/16 bit), Game Scoop(it's IGN but better than their platform dedicates stuff), Final Games (rotating guests essentially pick 8 desert island games) & I listen to Dad and Sons which is a podcast with SuperBunnyHop that isn't 100% gaming and not for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Manning3000

Thanks for the above, I'll add those to the list now.

I'm the same listening to them during work and need a break from Wrestling podcasts and Unsolved Murder podcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Filthy Casuals is an aussie general gaming podcast. It's fairly good craic. There's a bit more of an emphasis on comedy but I don't think it skimps on detail or industry news.

Crate and Crowbar covers a bit of general gaming but focuses mostly on PC games, with former and current employees from RPS, PC Gamer UK, as well as Tom Francis, who's an indie game developer who made Gun Point and Heat Signature. They've a pretty good background in the industry, game design and so on.
    They also do a separate podcast about Warhammer called Miniatures Monthly, if you're into that sort of thing.

Three Moves Ahead is an in depth podcast about strategy games that features a fair few designers and developers from the industry that give their insights, as well as the normal hosts. I've enjoyed their back catalogue hearing them talk about titles like Civ, Starcraft and such.

There's also a bunch of podcast/video game essay youtube channels I watch, including Noah Caldwell-Gervais, Mark Brown - Game Maker's Toolkit, Raycevik, Joseph Anderson, Noclip.
    Some might require more attention and aren't really the sort of thing you can have on in the background at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Giant Bombcast and Giant Beastcast would be on my regular rotation, they're a bit more cynical than some other podcasts, mainly because they're all close to 40 years old, and in recent years have been skewing towards playing smaller indie titles - indeed any game I've bought on their recommendation has been enjoyable. They do cover the mainstream stuff also, but tend not to get swept up in pre launch hype.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Can't recommend these highly enough...

Easy Allies https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZrxXp1reP8E353rZsB3jaA

Mostly the former GameTrailers folks. OK on the technical insight but more "personality driven" content these days

SIFTD siftd.net or https://www.youtube.com/user/SIFTDGAMES

Strong on the technical aspect (Game industry stuff) but lacking a little in the personality driven stuff, feels more mature but the weekly podcast (Gameface) is locked behind a small paywall unless you wait a few extra days and catch it on YouTube. Worth the cash IMO

Game Informer https://www.youtube.com/user/gameinformer/featured?disable_polymer=1

The weekly podcast is The Game Informer Show, great all rounder with a meaty hour long community emails section

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Sacred Symbols (a PlayStation podcast) from Colin Moriarty formerly of IGN & Kinda Funny. Episode 1 & I may not go any further after he said that Detroit is his GOTY so far. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

The only one I listen to is Cane and Rinse. They take a classic game every week and discuss it in depth.

It’s an English podcast as well, which helps. I can’t stand American podcasts as the hosts almost always fancy themselves as comedians and end up talking sh1te for half the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

It’s an English podcast as well, which helps. I can’t stand American podcasts as the hosts almost always fancy themselves as comedians and end up talking sh1te for half the show.

Splitscreen by the guys at Kotaku is a great podcast. They’ve moved their “off-topic” material to the end of the show for those not interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Some great new additions to my podcast list there, thanks lads.

ps - Agree on the UK vs US thing. Find it very hard to warm to US podcasters. The only major exception being Weekend Confirmed back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Slightly off-topic of sorts but I am surprised anyone can make a living doing a podcast now seeing as how there are so many

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,705 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Slightly off-topic of sorts but I am surprised anyone can make a living doing a podcast now seeing as how there are so many

Most are supplemental to another publication.

Others like Retronauts are so good they can survive off patreon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Most are supplemental to another publication.

Others like Retronauts are so good they can survive off patreon.

Impressive.
    Listening to them right now with their Bioshock podcast. I also have their YouTube channel on it the background. Says 837 views for their latest video that was uploaded over a year ago. Very impressive.

What's their secret? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I like these lads. They often mention licensing, business model, source code, dependencies and other things that I practically never hear anyone else talk or even care about. Also highlight game news that is extremely niche like the openMW update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭brady12

i do alot of driving and just wondering what gaming podcasts do ye listen to? currently listen to kinda funny games & IGNs beyond which are good .find giants bomb too long and boring at times.also tried colin moriartys podcasts but turned two them off after 5min pure sh@*e talk.recently fell over ex game informers podcast 'the MinnMax show' ,its VERY good .actually talk about games, no egos not like some other ones who just ramble about themselves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,705 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Again retronauts is by far the best out there but it's all old games (10 years old or more).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’d give a second nod to The Crate and Crowbar, which covers a far broader range of games than most other podcasts I’ve found - any podcast that can spend 20 mins enthusing over A Monster’s Expedition is good in my book. Chilled British accents makes a difference from over-excited American ones (with all due respect to the many great American podcasts!). Also always enjoy hearing from Tom Francis, who I think has a particularly keen perspective on design.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Shout out to Tandem Legends if you're anyways into Zelda. Basic pitch is two friends (a veteran and a newbie) play through the entirety of the Zelda series in timeline order - chunking off episodes in terms of dungeons and whatnot. It's super deep-dive material - from lore implications to design trends within the series and everywhere in between. It's given me pause to reconsider certain things on a number of occasions. It's also got the benefit of being well produced with a pair of engaged host that have an easy chemistry with one another, so it's a very easy listen.

Advertisement