Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Foldup Threadmill for zwift

• 19-08-2020 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

Looking for recommendations on a fold up threadmill to use with zwift.

Any recommendations? Price range, ideally under a 1000 but could stretch to 1500.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not sure on current treadmill models or pricing, I think they have gone a bit nuts on the prices in the last few months. Main thing you want is a decent motor of at least 3.0 CHP if I remember rightly.

Zwift is mildly entertaining on the treadmill, and free which helps, I've just had it running on my phone and use a Zwift foot pod that someone loaned me. Wouldn't use it for the main distraction on the treadmill though, get a telly or decent sized tablet stuck up infront of you and watch that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The zwift footpod is supposed to be rubbish, and Stryd is supposed to be great (but €220+). Is there any middle-ground? I know you can get a new Garmin which supports a re-broadcast virtual run activity (which would work with my Garmin Ant+ footpod), but for something that's just a fool-around folly (zwift for running), the only options seem to be pretty expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I have the Zwift footpod and it's working perfectly fine for me.

I can't EXACTLY tell how accurate it is but compared to my outdoors runs it all looks pretty much in line. Also, I've been using the same battery since March and haven't had to change it yet.

One more thing, my Reebok ZR8 treadmill has a 2 HP motor, and it's been going fine for years. Max speed is 16 kph / 10 mph, which is just a tad too slow for fast intervals but all in all I'm very happy with it, and it's been going for years (I guess I just jinxed it).

Zwift is a complete game changer when it comes to indoor training. There is n way I would have lasted without.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

The new Sole treadmills connect directly to Zwift without need for a footpod. Would be right in your price range also and are more than capable of a treadmill. You really need to be looking at 3.0HP and above imo. The Sole F63 would be perfect for you imo.

If you aren't going for a smart threadmill then the Zwift branded Footpod is rubbish. I use the NPE Runn to connect and it works great.It's a little device that you fix to your treadmill and it reads the speed of your belt and sends it to Zwift.I also have a Stryd but don't use it that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭jfh

• Advertisement

The zwift footpod is supposed to be rubbish, and Stryd is supposed to be great (but €220+). Is there any middle-ground? I know you can get a new Garmin which supports a re-broadcast virtual run activity (which would work with my Garmin Ant+ footpod), but for something that's just a fool-around folly (zwift for running), the only options seem to be pretty expensive.

Like I mentioned above this is what I use.

https://npe-inc.com/runn-smart-treadmill-sensor/?gclid=CjwKCAjwm_P5BRAhEiwAwRzSO8k9Jx_4qT5o3IGGt2Hu81Q7nB4JMPqMMh2zH8YNBJ8ta25a-Ks3BBoC1V4QAvD_BwE

ewc78 wrote: »
    Yeah, I read about that on the zwift site, and it's interesting, but it won't send data to Garmin Connect/Strava, right? Or does the zwift app send your activity in its entirely (including the runn sensor data) to Strava afterwards?
    Foldup Threadmill for zwift
    Also, for the love of god.... There's no 'h' in Treadmill. It must be an Irish invention. Every time I see it, across the treads threads in this forum, it's like daggers in my eyes. :)

Yeah, I read about that on the zwift site, and it's interesting, but it won't send data to Garmin Connect/Strava, right? Or does the zwift app send your activity in its entirely (including the runn sensor data) to Strava afterwards?

All your data will be sent to Strava from Zwift. You can also connect the Runn to your Garmin watch if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The new Sole treadmills connect directly to Zwift without need for a footpod. Would be right in your price range also and are more than capable of a treadmill. You really need to be looking at 3.0HP and above imo. The Sole F63 would be perfect for you imo.

If you aren't going for a smart threadmill then the Zwift branded Footpod is rubbish. I use the NPE Runn to connect and it works great.It's a little device that you fix to your treadmill and it reads the speed of your belt and sends it to Zwift.I also have a Stryd but don't use it that much.

Does the f63 connect to zwift automatically? See one for 600 on adverts.

Does the f63 connect to zwift automatically? See one for 600 on adverts.

It does but only the newer 2020 models do, pre that they don't.
    I think they are around €1200 new.
    I honestly don't work for them but mcsport.ie are very good to deal with. They do the Sole treadmills in Ireland.
    I don't have a Sole myself but I have bought other equipment off mcsport.ie

• Advertisement

It does but only the newer 2020 models do, pre that they don't.
    I think they are around €1200 new.
    I honestly don't work for them but mcsport.ie are very good to deal with. They do the Sole treadmills in Ireland.
    I don't have a Sole myself but I have bought other equipment off mcsport.ie

Out of stock there. Wife bought a nordic track bike off them, gathering dust🀣

BTW when I say connect directly to Zwift it just means whatever speed you set on treadmill that will be your speed on Zwift. It won't automatically change the incline or anything like that as Zwift doesn't allow that on any treadmill.

Out of stock there. Wife bought a nordic track bike off them, gathering dust🀣

Seems to be hard to find any fitness equipment in stock anywhere at the moment.

BTW when I say connect directly to Zwift it just means whatever speed you set on treadmill that will be your speed on Zwift. It won't automatically change the incline or anything like that as Zwift doesn't allow that on any treadmill.

Thanks for that info. Saw something called kinomap and ifit also. Any info on them?

Thanks for that info. Saw something called kinomap and ifit also. Any info on them?

Yeah I have Ifit. I have a Proform Pro 1500 treadmill. Bought it just before everywhere went to ****e in March!
    Ifit Is good but its a subscription service. I got a year free and I dunno yet if I'll renew it. I was able put the full Dublin Marathon route for example into it and the treadmill mimics the whole course inclines and declines and shows you the google streeview of where you are on the course, so it is kinda cool that way. You can basically put any course you want in the world into it and the treadmill will automatically change incline. There are also workout classes on it a bit like Peleton but I haven't tried any of them at all and I doubt I will.
    I'll probably use it more come winter but I actually haven't been on the treadmill all that much over summer but once winter kicks in ill be on it more with Zwift and probably give ifit another go.

Yeah I have Ifit. I have a Profrom Pro 1500 treadmill. Bought it just before everywhere went to ****e in March!
    Ifit Is good but its a subscription service. I got a year free and I dunno yet if I'll renew it. I was able put the full Dublin Marathon route for example into it and the treadmill mimics the whole course inclines and declines and shows you the google streeview of where you are on the course, so it is kinda cool that way. You can basically put any course you want in the world into it and the treadmill will automatically change incline. There are also workout classes on it a bit like Peleton but I haven't tried any of them at all and I doubt I will.
    I'll probably use it more come winter but I actually haven't been on the treadmill all that much over summer but once winter kicks in ill be on it more with Zwift and probably give ifit another go.

What is the advantage zwift has over ifit?

What is the advantage zwift has over ifit?

Well Zwift is free for one! Good Community on Zwift also, I've been on it from the very early days of running on it. There is a great Zwift runners Facebook page also. I've gotten to know a good few of the runners through it.
    Also with Ifit you need a compatible treadmill usually Nordictrack or Proform,but you can use Zwift with any treadmill once you have a footpod or the Runn sensor that I have.
    If I was buying again I'd probably go with the Sole over the Proform even though the Proform I have is far more powerful than the Sole(3.8hp vs 3.0hp)as like I said I haven't really used ifit as much as I thought I would,but ill give it another go over Winter.I usually just connect to Zwift when I get on treadmill.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I hav had a couple of trial goes with ifit and just found it a pain to use. Awful to create a route on, pain to link it up with you garmin, can't get your run data off their app easily or at all.

The amount of time wasted just trying to get the thing setup on either the treadmill or the spin bike really didn't make me want to pay them for a subscription. Would like the idea of being able to run real world routes on the treadmill, buy the pain of using the ifit system wasn't worth it for the end result.

So I picked up a Runn and have stuck it on my treadmill, unfortunately around the same time I picked up a hamstring injury, so I've only managed a mile or two. I'm glad to have some accurate reporting of distance and pace (Garmin Ant+ footpod is a mess). So how do you get the most out of Zwift? Do you follow the training plans? Are there races/group sessions that help with motivation? How accurate are people's reported stats? Is there cheating? I've taken a brief look, and I don't think running around a virtual world will whet my whistle, so wondering if the is more compulsive reasons to give Zwift a go as a runner. Anyone care to share their experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

So I picked up a Runn and have stuck it on my treadmill, unfortunately around the same time I picked up a hamstring injury, so I've only managed a mile or two. I'm glad to have some accurate reporting of distance and pace (Garmin Ant+ footpod is a mess). So how do you get the most out of Zwift? Do you follow the training plans? Are there races/group sessions that help with motivation? How accurate are people's reported stats? Is there cheating? I've taken a brief look, and I don't think running around a virtual world will whet my whistle, so wondering if the is more compulsive reasons to give Zwift a go as a runner. Anyone care to share their experiences?

Take up cycling.

• Advertisement

zico10 wrote: »
    Take up cycling.
    Yeah, but...

I did a 5k training plan, which got my 5k time back down to 19 minutes from 21 (basically chopped 2 or 3 years off my ever advancing age again), albeit on a treadmill, so not sure how much that would translate into a road time. It was a very handy way to spend some quality time during the lockdown without having to worry.

I have done a couple of group runs and races but didn't really get into it. See for yourself if you like it.

Stats seem totally accurate as far as I can tell. Not sure about cheating; since I wasn't too bothered about racing, I would not have cared anyway.

Compared to cycling on Zwift, running is definitely a bit behind, both in numbers doing it as well as the general quality of the setup. But it's still a complete game changer compared with treadmill running while staring at the wall in front of you.

No luck on a treadmill side yet. Not much stock around. Got rid of the indoor cycle bike though, wife bought it new for 550, sold it for 300, so did well.

Was looking at this one :https://www.sports-tech.uk.com/laufband-fx300
    And this one:
    https://www.sports-tech.uk.com/treadmill-f37
    Its ultra slim which might suit my house more. Any opinions on it?

Its ultra slim which might suit my house more. Any opinions on it?

The smaller the treadmill, the bigger the chance to fall off. I'd prefer a bigger one, to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Klopp

Looking at options for a treadmill with a motor of 2.5hp or more. I had my eye on a Proform Pro 1500 when lock down first came in and now i cant find one anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭thehairygrape

Hi. Best treadmill: not sure. Basically, the best you can afford. But, one bit of advice I was given is not to forget the height of the treadmill with you running on it. Not a problem if indoors, but may be a problem in some sheds/home offices.

Klopp wrote: »
    Looking at options for a treadmill with a motor of 2.5hp or more. I had my eye on a Proform Pro 1500 when lock down first came in and now i cant find one anywhere?

I have moved on from the Proform and now i am looking at the Nordictrack T 9.5 and the BH Fitness F9R Dual Treadmill.

Any other recommendations?

I have a Nordictrack (c1750), and it's a very robust piece of kit. One word of caution - the iFit subscription stuff basically means that you can't create any kind of a workout on the treadmill - 'manual workout' is the only real option, which means making manual adjustments between sections of a workout (e.g. reps). Grand if you're just planning on using it for general training runs, but I bought mine specifically for workouts, so it's a bit of a pain. Features that might at first glance sound interesting (like running google street view routes) are basically just a load of crap, so shouldn't factor in your decision making process. All you should care about is the ability for the treadmill to function as a treadmill, and forget about any bells and whistles.

I have a Nordictrack (c1750), and it's a very robust piece of kit. One word of caution - the iFit subscription stuff basically means that you can't create any kind of a workout on the treadmill - 'manual workout' is the only real option, which means making manual adjustments between sections of a workout (e.g. reps). Grand if you're just planning on using it for general training runs, but I bought mine specifically for workouts, so it's a bit of a pain. Features that might at first glance sound interesting (like running google street view routes) are basically just a load of crap, so shouldn't factor in your decision making process. All you should care about is the ability for the treadmill to function as a treadmill, and forget about any bells and whistles.

I was looking at a Nordictrack and the subscription put me off, i read it would not work without the sub which makes zero sense thinking about it again. I don't mind entering in my workouts manually if the option is there for entering programs that would be a bonus. I have a budget of 1500e and mulling over between Sole F63, Sole F65 and the BH F9 dual. I want one that is reliable for plenty of use midweek.

• Advertisement

Klopp wrote: »
    I was looking at a Nordictrack and the subscription put me off, i read it would not work without the sub which makes zero sense thinking about it again. I don't mind entering in my workouts manually if the option is there for entering programs that would be a bonus. I have a budget of 1500e and mulling over between Sole F63, Sole F65 and the BH F9 dual. I want one that is reliable for plenty of use midweek.
    It works fine without the sub, just most of the features they advertise have limited usefulness without a sub (workouts, wifi, 10' touch screen, google maps integration etc.). Simple is definitely better. Decent motor, good sized running platform, enough speed, fans (if you need 'em). Bluetooth Heart rate integration/display is handy - saves you looking at your watch.

Advertisement