Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Orange Whip Swing trainer - thoughts?

Options
  • 26-10-2020 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

I have been trying to decide if this is worth it or not. Thinking that it might be good to keep swinging on the patio during lock down.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=orange+whip+golf+trainer&crid=1Y7VZDA902WI1&sprefix=orange+whip+%2Caps%2C144&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_12

A friend had one a few years ago and I liked the feel of it.

My thoughts on it are that it might help with:
    1. Balance - I have a tendency to lift my right heel/foot. Might be able to use it for drills to build the muscle-memory for this.
    2. Lag - The right-foot issue tends to let the hands take over to correct, resulting in both blocks and pulls. The whip effect is supposed to help you to wait for the lag in the wing
    3. Swing speed - 53 soon and thought that this might be a good aid to try to maintain swing-speed.

Anyone have any experience? Worth it?

(Note: I have seen Chinese versions cheaper)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

BraveDonut wrote: »
    I have been trying to decide if this is worth it or not. Thinking that it might be good to keep swinging on the patio during lock down.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=orange+whip+golf+trainer&crid=1Y7VZDA902WI1&sprefix=orange+whip+%2Caps%2C144&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_12

A friend had one a few years ago and I liked the feel of it.

My thoughts on it are that it might help with:
    1. Balance - I have a tendency to lift my right heel/foot. Might be able to use it for drills to build the muscle-memory for this.
    2. Lag - The right-foot issue tends to let the hands take over to correct, resulting in both blocks and pulls. The whip effect is supposed to help you to wait for the lag in the wing
    3. Swing speed - 53 soon and thought that this might be a good aid to try to maintain swing-speed.

Anyone have any experience? Worth it?

(Note: I have seen Chinese versions cheaper)

You won't regret buying it. They are extremely good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭macslash

Was looking at this also. Looks good by all accounts. It's just a bit dear?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I was recommended one of these also, but have been looking at a 40gbp version, which I guess is a knock off, but hopefully reasonable quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jimjim12

This is the one I have, can't recommend it enough. It's great for warming up and keeping my swing in sequence. https://gleesonsport.ie/shop/golf/pure-2-improve-tempo-trainer/

• Registered Users Posts: 38 NedBagg

jimjim12 wrote: »
    This is the one I have, can't recommend it enough. It's great for warming up and keeping my swing in sequence. https://gleesonsport.ie/shop/golf/pure-2-improve-tempo-trainer/

Find it really good.. gives you great feel for tempo but also as a great warm up before you play... would recommend...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

How does that work?
    There’s no video to show you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

I’ve had one in the bag for years but the skilz version which is less than half the price. Great for warming up and keeping your tempo in check

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

jimjim12 wrote: »

Think I'll go for this one.
    Would rather give the business to an Irish shop than Amazon.

Is there much of a difference between the two I wonder??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

I have the yellow one, I find it very good esp for warm up.
    It does impact your swing though, since buying it I have a big miss left which I never had before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Im not so sure how useful they are - Its not like you are getting concrete feedback when you are doing it right - Feel I could put 10 different swings on it and get similar feedback

Item I have is the Pure 2 Improve Tempo Train 40" bought in McGuirks, but reckon they are all pretty similar.
    https://www.mcguirksgolf.com/p/pure-2-improve-tempo-train-40--/dfh1713one%20%20os

If you want it purely for warming up and loosening the muscles then its probably fine, but you could do the same with a club or 2 no doubt.

BraveDonut wrote: »
    Think I'll go for this one.
    Would rather give the business to an Irish shop than Amazon.

If you are going for one and specifically the one linked to this comment, just note they come in more then 1 length.

I have a 40" one (mid iron) and the one you were looking at is 48" (driver).
    Be sure to select the one you think you need the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Im not so sure how useful they are - Its not like you are getting concrete feedback when you are doing it right - Feel I could put 10 different swings on it and get similar feedback

Item I have is the Pure 2 Improve Tempo Train 40" bought in McGuirks, but reckon they are all pretty similar.
    https://www.mcguirksgolf.com/p/pure-2-improve-tempo-train-40--/dfh1713one%20%20os

If you want it purely for warming up and loosening the muscles then its probably fine, but you could do the same with a club or 2 no doubt.

Sorry but I dont understand this comment, the flexi shaft stops you swinging from the top with your arms and forces you to start the downswing with your body - you feel it if your sequencing isn’t right so I’d say it absolutely provides feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jamfer

I bought the Orange Whip during the last lockdown. Yes, it is a lot more expensive. You could buy the Skllz one or the Pure2 one and pocket the price of a lesson. But, it would always be there. The what if. And then later you'd end up buying the Orange Whip anyway. So just buy it. I found this comparison to be particularly useful in making my decision.

What the Orange Whip has done for me is slow me down. I am a high handicapper (and getting higher ;-)) and struggle a lot with timing of upper and lower body and really getting the core involved. Since introducing the Orange Whip I am now able to get the power into the ball. My Shot Scope is reporting longer drives on average now. I'm using lessons to get them more onto the fairway, but that's a different thing. Getting the tempo. Getting the muscles used to the movement, working on the muscle memory, these are all the things I get to do now that the range and course are cut off.

jamfer wrote: »
    I bought the Orange Whip during the last lockdown. Yes, it is a lot more expensive. You could buy the Skllz one or the Pure2 one and pocket the price of a lesson. But, it would always be there. The what if. And then later you'd end up buying the Orange Whip anyway. So just buy it. I found this comparison to be particularly useful in making my decision.

What the Orange Whip has done for me is slow me down. I am a high handicapper (and getting higher ;-)) and struggle a lot with timing of upper and lower body and really getting the core involved. Since introducing the Orange Whip I am now able to get the power into the ball. My Shot Scope is reporting longer drives on average now. I'm using lessons to get them more onto the fairway, but that's a different thing. Getting the tempo. Getting the muscles used to the movement, working on the muscle memory, these are all the things I get to do now that the range and course are cut off.

Interestingly, that review made me decide on the sklz one as it sounds perfect for lockdown plan of a bit of strength and flexibility work without affecting tempo to much and maybe even helping with it. Not too concerned with the cost, but looking at the hip bar trainer and the ball between forearms yoke too, so worth the saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

jamfer wrote: »

What the Orange Whip has done for me is slow me down. ........Since introducing the Orange Whip I am now able to get the power into the ball.

Just curious, how can you slow down and have more power? Power is a combination of strength and speed. Less speed is less power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

He is probably talking about the feeling that you are not moving fast in order to swing fast.
    Due to the club being so flexible it gives you a real sense of club lag so to get your club head through the strike zone you need to move fast to get out of your own way.

Sometimes when you are in such a hurry to hit the ball you don't achieve clubhead speed

Exactly, feeling ‘slow’ and that your arms are miles behind where they should be is a massive power move, as your lower body is leading the swing. It’s mostly a feeling, but in theory this helps you get the lower body starting downswing and stops you hitting at the ball with your arms. What feels ‘fast’ in the golf swing, often is actually losing speed and power.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jamfer

That's it - I used whip at it with my arms and the ball was hit and away before my body was turned.

• Advertisement

Arrived today so I went and had a few swings with it.

I can immediately see how it will teach me to wait until the backswing has been fully completed before moving into the downswing - One of my issues is that I can be very fast through the transition, leading to an off-balance swing

It also shows how if you bring the club back on the inside it will begin to whip.

Looking at youtube today to see how to get the most out of it.

Having fun so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Which one did you get?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Sorry but I dont understand this comment, the flexi shaft stops you swinging from the top with your arms and forces you to start the downswing with your body - you feel it if your sequencing isn’t right so I’d say it absolutely provides feedback

It sounds like you don't agree with my comment as opposed to understand it - Would be surprised it you didn't understand what I said.

I personally don't find the device particularly useful and as I said can put many a different swing on it and get little feedback from it in terms of what is right and wrong.

Im not a hacker either..:)

My skillz one arrived today, feels nice to swing, would imagine that just after swinging it would put a good swing on next ball, hard to test it out right now.

Used this video as starting point
    https://youtu.be/PzDPDxKaXkQ

Advertisement