Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking to donate food hampers to two families in Galway for Xmas.

• 24-10-2020 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

So as the title sort of explains, I'm looking to donate a grocery shop to two families this Christmas. I recently won a little money as an award in college and although there are 101 things I could want/need myself, one of the first thoughts that came to my mind when I received news of the award is that there are families all over this country going to be in a very bad way this Christmas and they could do with this money way more than me. I would have the fleeting pleasure of buying something I kind of need.. whereas some family could have a Christmas dinner that they probably hadn't even considered was possible this year. It isn't much but it'd be enough for say two small families to buy a good Christmas dinner and some extras for the days after.

The reason I suppose I'm asking here is that I don't want to go the traditional charity route and I don't wish to offend anyone who may work for charities with that choice or anything. I just feel like I'd rather reduce my gesture down to one or two families and hopefully give them a hand through this time of year that is coming. So I'd need to find a way to figure out two families who really need help. Maybe someone can provide me ideas on how to source out these families? Maybe someone can pm me with even some candidates or places I could start asking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Messaged

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

The Galway Lions Club are great at this type of thing every year.
    Worth a shout.

http://www.galwaylionsclub.ie/?page_id=180

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Fierce decent of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭1perriwinkle

I know you said you didn’t want to go down the charity route but I would just like to mention that Cipe Galway deal with a cross selection of vulnerable groups such as the elderly, homeless and those experiencing domestic abuse (in which there has been a huge increase due to Covid), and are focused specifically on Galway city and county.
    I grant that you won’t get the direct contact you’re seeking but you will be sure that your money goes to those most in need. I don’t have any affiliation with them, I just know a bit about how they run their operations and it’s very worthwhile supporting them.
    You don’t have to give them money. They, and several other charities, are happy with actual goods donated. So if you want to see your money being spent directly you could phone them and see what it is they are in short supply of and buy a couple of trolley loads of stuff to drop off.

And we’ll done on showing such generosity and kindness, it’s lovely to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,892 ✭✭✭thesandeman

You have a typo there perri. It's Cope Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭1perriwinkle

You have a typo there perri. It's Cope Galway.
    Thank you, it is indeed Cope Galway.

Advertisement