Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Unless its a very clear night, the bridge will likely be MUCH brighter than the stars.

At a wild guess theres stacking going on in that image.... keep the camera in the same place, do an exposure of the right length to get a nice picture of the bridge, do a second exposure (10-15sec with a big aperture) to get a nice picture of the stars, then stack them, keeping only the better part of both images.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Unless its a very clear night, the bridge will likely be MUCH brighter than the stars.

At a wild guess theres stacking going on in that image.... keep the camera in the same place, do an exposure of the right length to get a nice picture of the bridge, do a second exposure (10-15sec with a big aperture) to get a nice picture of the stars, then stack them, keeping only the better part of both images.

With the light pollution around that area from the lights on the bridge there is no way you could see that amount of stars . The image of the stars is from another location and photoshopped, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Frostybrew

https://www.facebook.com/RoystonPalmerPhotography/?__tn__=%2Cd%2CP-R&eid=ARBQueX7tmJaL8kY4bJ1r7-wMjr6pPHdO85xWGWSlBWdFa8JKOxcC-Q_3VVGm0fJxD_I6TuevbmzKkCp

Yes, stacking. Confirmed by the photographer. I wonder did he get the milky way from the same location. There would be much light pollution to the right of the image as it's in direction of Waterford city, but the direction he was the camera pointed should be relatively clear. Not sure the bridge would make much of a difference to light pollution as it tends to be large urban areas that impede shots.

Frostybrew wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/RoystonPalmerPhotography/?__tn__=%2Cd%2CP-R&eid=ARBQueX7tmJaL8kY4bJ1r7-wMjr6pPHdO85xWGWSlBWdFa8JKOxcC-Q_3VVGm0fJxD_I6TuevbmzKkCp

I wonder did he get the milky way from the same location. There would be much light pollution to the right of the image as it's in direction of Waterford city, but the direction he was the camera pointed should be relatively clear. Not sure the bridge would make much of a difference to light pollution as it tends to be large urban areas that impede shots.

Not a chance, New Ross is close as is Waterford, the bridge light would also have a big effect on the light pollution.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Frostybrew

Not a chance, New Ross is close as is Waterford, the bridge light would also have a big effect on the light pollution.

Confirmed on Facebook by the photographer. The milky way was shot at the exact same time and location as the foreground. Though New Ross is close by, it is behind the camera and a small urban area; so would not cause a large amount of light pollution. Thankfully, as it must be an amazing sight to see both the bridge and the milky way at the same location.

Can't wait to travel down and experience it for myself, though will have to wait for this lockdown to end.

• Advertisement

Frostybrew wrote: »
    Confirmed on Facebook by the photographer. The milky way was shot at the exact same time and location as the foreground. Though New Ross is close by, it is behind the camera and a small urban area; so would not cause a large amount of light pollution. Thankfully, as it must be an amazing sight to see both the bridge and the milky way at the same location.

Can't wait to travel down and experience it for myself, though will have to wait for this lockdown to end.

Well I was wrong but still hard to believe.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Is there much traffic over the bridge under the current lock down?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Is there much traffic over the bridge under the current lock down?

Very little, a social media friend just posted that he was parked up at the layby and very few vehicles passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

gman2k wrote: »
    Very little, a social media friend just posted that he was parked up at the layby and very few vehicles passed.

Depends on the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

The Barrow crossing 12/04/20 (pic rte)
    lErTsuw.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

"12/04/20" - must have been taken on the way back from Aldi :)

Buzz K.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

Glad this project was done and finished before Covid-19 happened and the impact it is going to have on our motorway/roads construction in the long term. It be a long time before we see the likes of the M20 becoming a reality for example.

Makes the fact that the Dunkettle contract didn't get signed all the more galling.

The Barrow crossing 06/05/20 (pic Twitter)
    N3wnFOp.jpg

The Barrow crossing 08/05/20 (pic fb)
    eDs9X4n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Could it be that ...maybe.. ..from some angles .. those night-time illuminations are ... well .. a bit excessive. (There - I've said it!)
    Great photos though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Don't know if this has been published elsewhere.....

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/barrow-bridge-design-dispute-leads-to-185m-claim-against-spanish-companies-1004020.html

Barrow Bridge design dispute leads to €18.5m claim against Spanish companies

A claim for €18.5 million for the cost of remedying alleged errors in the design and quantities specified at the tender phase of the Barrow Bridge project has come before the Commercial Court.

The alleged errors meant the bridge was "significantly more difficult" to build and its design had to be substantially re-engineered during the construction phase, resulting in very significant additional construction cost and a completion delay of some 10 months, it is claimed.

The estimated cost of remedying the alleged deficiencies in the design phase, and the cost incurred by delay in completion, will exceed €18.5 million, the plaintiffs claim.

The proceedings are by three construction companies - Dragados Ireland Ltd, with an address at Sir John Rogerson's Quay, Dublin; BAM Civil Ltd, Kill, Co Kildare, and Dragados SA, with an address in Madrid, Spain.

The action is against three Spanish entities, Carlos Fernandez Casado SL (CFC); Eptisa Servicios De Ingeneria SL (Eptisa) and Siegrist Y Moreno SL (SYM), all with registered offices at different addresses in Madrid.

SYM is said to be in liquidation,

Among various claims, the plaintiffs allege breach of contract and negligence in the provision of design services at the tender phase in relation to the 887 metre long bridge, part of the N25 New Ross bypass.

It is claimed CFC and Eptisa formed an unincorporated joint venture to carry out design and construction of the New Ross bypass road scheme, which included the Barrow Bridge.

READ MORE
    Ibec calls for two-metre distancing requirement to be relaxed
    CFC, it is claimed, is a Spanish engineering firm involved in bridge design and it was engaged to provide design services, specifically the design and provision of quantities for the bridge. During construction it became apparent the design and/or bridge quantities prepared at tender phase were incorrect, it is claimed.

It is claimed the concrete strength class advised by CFC for the deck of the bridge at tender stage had to be increased at construction stage at great cost to the first two plaintiffs.

The tonnage of steel reinforcement, the tonnage of post tensioning strands and the overall length of longitudinal ducting increased by between 80 and 110 per cent, it is claimed.

Eptisa and SYM had each issued a design check certificate in September 2014 in respect of the CFC conceptual design, it is alleged.

The plaintiffs say the precise roles of each of the defendants may not be clear until the discovery process is completed.

When the proceedings came before Mr Justice David Barniville yesterday (Monday) he agreed to admit them to the fast-track Commercial Court list.

No objection to admission was raised but lawyers for the first two defendants raised issues whether the case was being brought prematurely, sought directions on service, and asked that the Spanish coronavirus lockdown be taken into account in relation to time schedules for legal documents.

The judge made directions for exchange of legal documents and will make further directions on a later date.

No surprise that BAM have their grubby mitts out looking for more money.
    Standard business practice for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭CoBo55

josip wrote: »
    No surprise that BAM have their grubby mitts out looking for more money.
    Standard business practice for them.
    Well, somebody made a complete bollox of the whole job from start to finish:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I have to say that its made some difference to the journey from Waterford to Wexford. I use it twice a day and its such a nice road to travel. The views are actually kinda spectacular as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

CoBo55 wrote:
    Well, somebody made a complete bollox of the whole job from start to finish

Careful now. I was told on here that the hump where the levels were wrong is a design feature.

In saying that, it is still a magnificent spectacle, especially coming in from Waterford side where the bridge just appears outta nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Careful now. I was told on here that the hump where the levels were wrong is a design feature.

That bit does always look off alright. Dunno how they didn't notice that early on to be honest.

Thanks to the bloody lockdowns I still haven't had a chance to come down and see it. Fuming.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Thanks to the bloody lockdowns I still haven't had a chance to come down and see it. Fuming.

You are not alone.

Well, perhaps you are because of lockdown, but not the only one constrained from a trip over the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Think of it as an end of lockdown treat and very much something to look forward to. A couple of tips to get the best out of your trip:

Wait for a bright clear day, preferably with the sun shining
    Stop in the official lay-bys and take a few minutes to admire the bridge and the views. There are also a couple of unofficial stopping points to consider if you are so minded.
    Drive the full length of the dual carriageway at least twice in both directions, you will see a lot more the second time.

Enjoy.

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Think of it as an end of lockdown treat and very much something to look forward to. A couple of tips to get the best out of your trip:

Wait for a bright clear day, preferably with the sun shining
    Stop in the official lay-bys and take a few minutes to admire the bridge and the views. There are also a couple of unofficial stopping points to consider if you are so minded.
    Drive the full length of the dual carriageway at least twice in both directions, you will see a lot more the second time.

Enjoy.

Which direction to do first?

My preference is from the Wexford side, you can see it in the distance and there's more anticipation for the main event.

Also, if you're making a special trip of it, you should go along the (very old) road around by the pink rock and stop underneath for a look.

A bit like lifting the bonnet on a nice looking car.

7QrUiCr.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

I know exactly where josip is coming from and he is correct about the view from the Wexford side being much more impressive and for that reason I’m going to recommend the opposite ! Save the best wine for last !!

When you approach from the Waterford Slieverue side, the ascent from the Glenmore roundabout is steep and and you exit the cutting almost at bridge deck level; suddenly and almost unexpectedly you are there ! There is a spot on the left under a brown name sign where some folk stop and take selfies, shame on them. You are on the bridge with an amazing set of close up views of the pylons and cable construction as well as distant views up the Barrow and onwards to the distant Blackstairs. You will be impressed at this point. Drive on and absorb the views on the descent, the smoothness of the surface, the rolling countryside and the river below. Stop at the layby on the left and get out and look back. Be impressed again. Then drive on at moderate pace all the way to the end of the new road (the second roundabout after the bridge, Corcoran’s Cross Roundabout) where you do a 360 and retrace your route, again at a moderate pace. This time as you approach the bridge you will stop at the lay-by on your left and again admire the bridge. Admire the sweeping curve of the approach and the elegance of the structure. Then you proceed slowly as the bridge approaches you, growing by the minute, as you close in for the final reveal. You will be conflicted as you cross the main record breaking 230m span between looking up at the pylons and the mesmerising cables and looking in the opposite direction at the Barrow as it travels lazily towards the sea. Then, when you reach the Glenmore roundabout, do another 360 and revisit the route, enjoying the elements you missed first time around.

It’s a truly amazing construction and well worth spending a couple of hours viewing it from different positions and letting the enormity of the construction sink in.

And I’d definitely second josip’s recommendation that you visit the Pink Rock road and stop below the bridge. Stand underneath, dead straight, and tilt your head back all the way. You’ll get dizzy looking up at the superstructure and the deck.

Enjoy !

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Lightscribe

There's a programme on More 4 right now about the construction of this bridge.

New:Building Giants:Record Breaking Mega Bridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Well worth a watch, great insight. Few "engineers" on here thought it was a dramatised work of fiction but I enjoyed it.

Advertisement