Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AI Hurling (Joe McDonagh, Christy Ring , Nicky Rackard and Lory Meagher Cups 2020)

• 24-10-2020 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,702 ✭✭✭✭

Note- Cant make out the Christy Ring and Nicky Rackard cups structures (Offaly conceding making it even more confusing) but if someone knows can they edit them in :)

Joe McDonagh Cup (5 teams, all play each other with top 2 going through to the final)

Round 1- Sunday 25th Oct
    Kerry vs Meath
    Antrim vs Westmeath
    Carlow Bye

Round 2- Sat 31st Oct
    Westmeath vs Kerry
    Carlow vs Antrim
    Meath Bye

Round 3- Sat 7th Nov/Sat 14th Nov
    Carlow vs Meath
    Antrim vs Kerry
    Westmeath Bye

Round 4- Sat 21st Nov
    Kerry vs Carlow
    Meath vs Westmeath
    Antrim Bye

Round 5- Sat 28th Nov
    Meath vs Antrim
    Westmeath vs Carlow
    Kerry Bye

Final- Sun 13th Dec

Christy Ring Cup

Round 1- Sun 25th Oct
    Offaly vs Kildare (Kildare awarded victory)
    Roscommon vs Wicklow
    Derry vs Sligo

Down in 2A

Nicky Rackard Cup

Round 1- Sat 24th/Sun 25th Oct
    Monaghan 2-10(16)- Mayo 3-32(41)
    Donegal 2-13(19)- Longford 1-14(17)
    Armagh vs Leitrim

Tyrone in Round 2A

Lory Meager Cup (3 teams each play other, top 2 teams in Final)
    Round 1- Sat 24th Oct
    Louth 1-15 (18)- Fermanagh 3-10 (19)
    Cavan Bye

Round 2- Sun 1st Nov
    Fermanagh vs Cavan
    Louth Bye

Round 3- 7th/8th Nov
    Cavan vs Louth
    Fermanagh Bye

Final- 14th/15th Nov

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

Results for Joe McDonagh today

Kerry 1-20 Meath 0-13

Antrim 4-25 Westmeath 1-15

A 19 point win for Antrim sees them at the top of the table. I know it is Westmeath's first game but Antrim are proving to be a serious outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

Results for Joe McDonagh today

Kerry 1-20 Meath 0-13

Antrim 4-25 Westmeath 1-15

A 19 point win for Antrim sees them at the top of the table. I know it is Westmeath's first game but Antrim are proving to be a serious outfit.

Kerry ran Antrim very close last week and 3 of Kerry’s main forwards were not playing.

I think it could be a Antrim v Kerry final. Depending on whether Carlow have everyone at their disposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Note- Cant make out the Christy Ring and Nicky Rackard cups structures (Offaly conceding making it even more confusing) but if someone knows can they edit them in :)

Joe McDonagh Cup (5 teams, all play each other with top 2 going through to the final)

Round 1- Sunday 25th Oct
    Kerry vs Meath
    Antrim vs Westmeath
    Carlow Bye

Round 2- Sat 31st Oct
    Westmeath vs Kerry
    Carlow vs Antrim
    Meath Bye

Round 3- Sat 7th Nov/Sat 14th Nov
    Carlow vs Meath
    Antrim vs Kerry
    Westmeath Bye

Round 4- Sat 21st Nov
    Kerry vs Carlow
    Meath vs Westmeath
    Antrim Bye

Round 5- Sat 28th Nov
    Meath vs Antrim
    Westmeath vs Carlow
    Kerry Bye

Final- Sun 13th Dec

Christy Ring Cup

Round 1- Sun 25th Oct
    Offaly vs Kildare (Kildare awarded victory)
    Roscommon vs Wicklow
    Derry vs Sligo

Down in 2A

Nicky Rackard Cup

Round 1- Sat 24th/Sun 25th Oct
    Monaghan 2-10(16)- Mayo 3-32(41)
    Donegal 2-13(19)- Longford 1-14(17)
    Armagh vs Leitrim

Tyrone in Round 2A

Lory Meager Cup (3 teams each play other, top 2 teams in Final)
    Round 1- Sat 24th Oct
    Louth 1-15 (18)- Fermanagh 3-10 (19)
    Cavan Bye

Round 2- Sun 1st Nov
    Fermanagh vs Cavan
    Louth Bye

Round 3- 7th/8th Nov
    Cavan vs Louth
    Fermanagh Bye

Final- 14th/15th Nov

How would the likes of Carlow, Kerry and Antrim fair our against Ballyhale Shamrocks, Ballygunnar and Na Piarsaigh for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,702 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Sat 24th Oct

Nicky Rackard Cup round 1
    At Letterkenny
    Donegal 2-13
    Longford 1-14

At Clontibret
    Mayo 3-32
    Monaghan 2-10

At the Athletic Grounds
    Armagh 1-21
    Leitrim 0-12

Lory Meagher Cup round 1
    At Darver
    Fermanagh 3-10
    Louth 1-15

Sun 25th Oct
    Joe McDonagh Cup round 1
    At Tralee
    Kerry 1-20
    Meath 0-13

Joe McDonagh Cup round 1
    At Corrigan Park
    Antrim 4-25
    Westmeath 1-15

Christy Ring Cup round 1
    At Dr Hyde Park
    Wicklow 2-19
    Roscommon 3-14

Christy Ring Round 1
    Kildare walkover victory over Offaly
    Derry walkover victory over Sligo

I looked at the Ring fixtures on GAA.ie and seen an A and B section with losers going back in, but I can’t see enough teams for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I looked at the Ring fixtures on GAA.ie and seen an A and B section with losers going back in, but I can’t see enough teams for that.

London were the 8th team but weren't able to partake for obvious reasons. Presumably this resulted in Down getting a bye to round 2A.

Looking at the GAA website and the CR format is strange. As I said above Down are straight into round 2A along with the 3 winners from this weekends games. But of the 2 losers of those 2A games, only the loser of the Down game gets to enter round 2B with the other loser being eliminated.

Seems a bit unfair that while 2 teams lose in the same round, one randomly gets another chance while one is eliminated. I know it's to guarantee Down at least 2 games but there must be a better format....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭arctictree

Looking at the GAA website and the CR format is strange. As I said above Down are straight into round 2A along with the 3 winners from this weekends games. But of the 2 losers of those 2A games, only the loser of the Down game gets to enter round 2B with the other loser being eliminated.

Seems a bit unfair that while 2 teams lose in the same round, one randomly gets another chance while one is eliminated. I know it's to guarantee Down at least 2 games but there must be a better format....

I thought it was straight knockout this year? BTW, Wicklow/Roscommon game was a disgrace. 11 minutes of injury time played when only 4 were announced.

yeah i got lost trying to figure out the format for the Ring and Rackard cups

Seems Offaly and Sligo have a small advantage going into the losers section

yeah i got lost trying to figure out the format for the Ring and Rackard cups

Seems Offaly and Sligo have a small advantage going into the losers section

Other teams will be looking for proof of tests yet :D

• Advertisement

conor05 wrote: »
    Kerry ran Antrim very close last week and 3 of Kerry’s main forwards were not playing.

I think it could be a Antrim v Kerry final. Depending on whether Carlow have everyone at their disposal.

Antrim were down 6 players including McManus for Westmeath. I agree with you on Kerry. It would be interesting to see how promotion works if they win. I think it would be bad look if they are forced into a play-off with the bottom team from Munster.

Yes. They should have kept the group stage format. It was only 3 games followed by 2 knockout games.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

It seems a bit crazy alright, but only having 7 teams doesn't help, especially if you want to guarantee each team two games.

The 'reward' for Wicklow and Kildare winning their first round games is a knockout out quarter final against each other within 7 days of playing round 1. Whereas the teams the lost round 1 get a two week break to play a quarter final, possibly against another one of the losing teams.

I think they could have had an extra playoff round on the losers side to make it fairer. It could still have been run in the same number of weeks. Both 2A losers would get a second chance, and it would have meant anyone that loses a game in round 1 would have to win two games in a row to make it to the semi final.

paul0103 wrote: »
    It seems a bit crazy alright, but only having 7 teams doesn't help, especially if you want to guarantee each team two games.

The 'reward' for Wicklow and Kildare winning their first round games is a knockout out quarter final against each other within 7 days of playing round 1. Whereas the teams the lost round 1 get a two week break to play a quarter final, possibly against another one of the losing teams.

I think they could have had an extra playoff round on the losers side to make it fairer. It could still have been run in the same number of weeks. Both 2A losers would get a second chance, and it would have meant anyone that loses a game in round 1 would have to win two games in a row to make it to the semi final.

That's how this format has run every year before 2018. The 2A losers play the 2B winners in 2 QFs with the QF winners playing the 2A winners in the SFs. It would have worked fine this year if they'd just treated it as though London gave a walkover in their 2 games.

If my maths is right it would only involve 1 extra game compared to the current format, and need no extra weekends.

Anymore clarification on what the format for CR and NR are ?

Will the losers of 2A go out of the championship this weekend ??.

Anymore clarification on what the format for CR and NR are ?

Will the losers of 2A go out of the championship this weekend ??.

In Christy Ring the losers of tomorrow's 2A match between Kildare and Wicklow are out (a crazy (plain wrong) format in my opinion), but Derry get a second chance because Down got a bye into Round 2A.
    From the fixtures of on https://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-results/:

Round 2B
    Round 1 Loser v Derry Played between 07th-08th
    Round 1 Loser v Round 1 Loser Played between 07th-08th

2B winners play 2A winners (Down and Wicklow/Kildare) in semi final.

Looks like the same in Nicky Rackard, Armagh are now out. They won in round 1 but lost today. Tyrone get a second chance after getting a bye in round 1 and losing today.

Round 2B
    Round 1 Loser v Tyrone Played between 07th-08th

2B winners play 2A winners (Donegal and Mayo) in semi final.

Today's results:
    Joe McDonagh
    Kerry 2-19 Westmeath 0-14
    Carlow 2-25 Antrim 5-16

Christy Ring
    Down 1-13 Derry 0-13

Nicky Rackard
    Donegal 3-13 Armagh 1-9
    Mayo 1-24 Tyrone 0-9

paul0103 wrote: »
    In Christy Ring the losers of tomorrow's 2A match between Kildare and Wicklow are out (a crazy (plain wrong) format in my opinion), but Derry get a second chance because Down got a bye into Round 2A.
    From the fixtures of on https://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-results/:

Round 2B
    Round 1 Loser v Derry Played between 07th-08th

2B winners play 2A winners (Down and Wicklow/Kildare) in semi final.

Looks like the same in Nicky Rackard, Armagh are now out. They won in round 1 but lost today. Tyrone get a second chance after getting a bye in round 1 and losing today.

Round 2B
    Round 1 Loser v Tyrone Played between 07th-08th

2B winners play 2A winners (Donegal and Mayo) in semi final.

Today's results:
    Joe McDonagh
    Kerry 2-19 Westmeath 0-14
    Carlow 2-25 Antrim 5-16

Christy Ring
    Down 1-13 Derry 0-13

Nicky Rackard
    Donegal 3-13 Armagh 1-9
    Mayo 1-24 Tyrone 0-9

What a balls of a format, Offaly and Sligo got the weekend off after conceding the 1st round games and there victorious opponents worse off

• Registered Users Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Kildare always seem to get the raw deal.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Is the yellow sliotar only being used in the top tier championship?

We have played two games now and the traditional white sliotar has being used

Kildare always seem to get the raw deal.

They got a draw that gave them Wicklow or Roscommon, I’d say they’re doing OK :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Legalfarmer89

Sounds like some match between Antrim and Carlow yesterday. I hope that highlights are shown on the Sunday Game. While it might be the second tier of hurling, Antrim, Westmeath and Carlow and are dual counties with serious hurling areas and hurlers who are just as good as some of their players in the Liam McCarthy, they just don't have the numbers or resources of the Liam McCarthy Counties, except maybe Antrim who could be a sleeping competitor but whose issues are geographical and historically the hurling played up there was a little bit different to the hurling in Munster and Leinster.(I remember seeing that Clarke lad for Antrim leading Antrim to an U21 victory over Wexford a few years ago which included a few current Wexford players). Serious Player.

Kerry for a football County have a mad hurling stronghold in the north of the County and have some brilliant players also.

If there is any serious ambition to promote hurling outside the top counties then this competition should be highlighted.

Put Kerry in Munster round robin if they go on to win the JM

6 teams so no rest weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Put Kerry in Munster round robin if they go on to win the JM

6 teams so no rest weeks

Only problem I'd have with that is that 3rd will come down to how much you hammer kerry by.

I think keep the 10 teams there, take the Joe Mc winners, give them home advantage and let them play off with the bottom team in their division. If they're good enough let them up.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Kildare beat Wicklow today to move into the Christy Ring semi final. Wicklow are now out. Fermanagh beat Cavan in Lory Meaghar to reach the final. Cavan play Louth in the final round with the winner making the final.

Round 2B draws for Chirsty Ring and Nicky Rackard:

https://www.gaa.ie/hurling/news/christy-ring-and-nickey-rackard-cups-round-2b-draws/

The 2B winners qualify for the semi final.
    Christy Ring Round 2B
    Derry v Offaly
    Roscommon v Sligo

Kildare and Down are already in semi finals.

This year both finalists will be promoted to Joe McDonagh, so Down and Kildare will hope to avoid Offaly in the semi final (if Offaly beat Derry). Usually in CR semi finals avoid repeat pairings if possible. Kildare will be hoping that their walkover from Offally in Round 1 counts as a previous pairing!

Nicky Rackard Round 2B
    Longford v Leitrim
    Monaghan v Tyrone

Mayo and Donegal are already in semi finals

Results from today
    Joe McDonagh
    Carlow 1-22
    Meath 1-21

Christy Ring
    Offaly 0-32
    Derry 1-12

Nicky Rackard
    Tyrone 2-19
    Monaghan 1-12

Leitrim 1-11
    Longford 0-12

Upcoming fixtures (due to be played weekend 14th/15th Nov)

Joe McDonagh Cup round 3
    Antrim v Kerry, Corrigan Park, 1.30pm

Christy Ring Cup semi-finals
    Down v Offaly
    Kildare v Roscommon

Nicky Rackard Cup semi-finals
    Mayo v Leitrim
    Donegal v Tyrone

Lory Meagher Cup final
    Fermanagh v Louth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Good effort by Meath against carlow. They seem to be fairly established now as a competitive Joe Macdonagh team (though I appreciate they would need to take another step up if they were to ever win it). What's the hurling scene like in meath? Who are the main clubs?

Good effort by Meath against carlow. They seem to be fairly established now as a competitive Joe Macdonagh team (though I appreciate they would need to take another step up if they were to ever win it). What's the hurling scene like in meath? Who are the main clubs?

Ratoath and Trim made it to the senior final this year, but they didn't get a chance to play it before the restrictions came in. Ratoath, Kildalkey, Kiltale and Trim have been the strongest in recent years. Traditionally Kilmessan and Trim would be the big 2, but Kilmessan haven't won it since 2013, and Trim since 2001. Ratoath got promoted to senior in 2016 and have been strong since. There's 12 teams in senior championship. About 40 teams played championship this year (senior - junior b). 21 were first teams, the rest B and C teams.

I think the standard of the senior championship has probably dropped a little in the past couple of years. The county team are in a funny place, probably just too strong for Christy Ring but still a little bit off being strong competitors in Joe McDonagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Out of interest only, why did the Joe McDonagh Cup get higher status than Christy Ring. In terms of status, I would have thought that there would be no-one greater than Christy Ring, so why was McDonagh not put in as a lower tier cup?

• Advertisement

Out of interest only, why did the Joe McDonagh Cup get higher status than Christy Ring. In terms of status, I would have thought that there would be no-one greater than Christy Ring, so why was McDonagh not put in as a lower tier cup?

The Christy Ring came before it and at the time was the Tier 2 championship. Then a few years later another gap emerged between hurling counties thus the McDonagh Cup was created (which was originally a qualifier group to get into the Leinster championship)

There was a B All Ireland years ago but don't knw much about that

Advertisement