Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Bride/Groom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

This may have already been asked and answered in this thread. Has anyone gotten any information regarding minimum numbers payments if they are required to have say 25 ppl by restrictions. Are you still expected to pay the difference?

We have a minimum number of 100 adults for our venue for October next year and trying to decide what to do whether to postpone or just see what happens in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Our minimum is also 100 per the contract but our venue told us that we’d be charged for whatever the maximum numbers are based any restrictions at the time. So if that’s 50 then the most we are charged for is 50. When we booked we paid an additional fee to have our venue exclusively for the weekend, If the guidelines are 50 or less then we lose the exclusivity so they can have other guests onsite ... which is just a bit of a mad situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 UnBridled

Just to give our experience. We were told by our venue that in the event of number restrictions then our price would reflect this as we'd be paying per head. The hotel had a number of packages but because we wanted a Saturday with 80 guests they created a day for us based on individual costings.

Communication with them from the moment we decided to have our wedding there has been terrible. I told myself that its because they must be so busy with the changing restrictions and dealing with lots of different couples. We received on the 15th of October. Over a month since I gave our address for it to be sent. It had a number of errors in it and also didn't make any provision for what we were told about the numbers. So I put all that in an email. I expect a response in the new year :(

I am now feeling anxious that we will have to postpone due to Covid. It just isn't the kind of day we want. I would love the bells and whistles of hair and makeup, ceremony music, band, all that jazz. Our other option is moving it to summer time (October is our month) because, well maybe we will be a level 2 then like summer gone by. It's all a guessing game at this stage.

Have any 2021 brides/grooms chosen to have a back up date on reserve?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Eskie wrote: »

We haven't but my cousin who had postponed from June '20 to May '21 has now postponed again to May '22.

Have most people been in touch with their venues during the last while? We're due to get married in June and haven't really been in touch with the venue at all and were planning to wait until January before doing so. Should we be in more regular contact though?

• Advertisement

We're Spring 2021, and were last in touch with our venue around August, I think it was. We are meant to touch base with them again around November/December.

We haven't one yet but we are waiting until the new year to see how things stand. If we were having a smaller wedding then we would have picked a different venue. One of the places I had my eye on was Butler House in Kilkenny but they had a max of 50. I'm trying not to worry too much now.

UnBridled wrote: »
    We haven't one yet but we are waiting until the new year to see how things stand. If we were having a smaller wedding then we would have picked a different venue. One of the places I had my eye on was Butler House in Kilkenny but they had a max of 50. I'm trying not to worry too much now.

We are the same. We’ll review in the new year. If we wanted a smaller wedding we wouldn’t have chosen our venue. And there’s certain things we won’t compromise on so it may mean postponing but we aren’t making any decisions just yet.

For my own peace of mind I’ve left that HIGM Facebook group and have unfollowed a lot of stuff on Instagram. Otherwise I find myself just wondering and worrying about it all constantly. It was all getting a bit too much to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

We haven't but my cousin who had postponed from June '20 to May '21 has now postponed again to May '22.

Have most people been in touch with their venues during the last while? We're due to get married in June and haven't really been in touch with the venue at all and were planning to wait until January before doing so. Should we be in more regular contact though?

We're May 2021 and have contacted them once since covid kicked off, in September, to discuss what the options were. They were great and advised waiting til January to think about which way we might go and see how things look after Christmas, so sounds like ye're on the same timeframe there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BCG89

We are March 2021 and have had a phone call with our venue. They seem really on the ball with all the new restrictions and we both felt really at ease after talking to them! Would definitely recommend getting in touch with your venue even just to run through any changes you ca expect!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 NM123

Hi all, our wedding is June 2021, I contacted our venue to get a sense of how they are handling minimum numbers etc right now. Our contract is for 80 guests. The venue is an exclusive venue, they only do weddings.
    I was informed that a new package has been drawn up for both 25 and 50 guest options. Both have an increase to the price per head, an increase to the Accommodation costs (with certain number of rooms to be taken), and on the 25 guest package, there is also now an added venue hire fee (€3500). (No venue hire fee as part of original contract).
    Also, it is mentioned that if we wanted to postpone to 2022/2023, we can do so, booking at 2022/23 price per heads (increase to both package and accommodation rate) and also would have to pay a €2000 “postponement” fee, which would keep the exclusivity of the venue. This postponement fee could be waived, but venue would no longer be exclusive (which I don’t know how this would work).
    If guidelines mean we can have 80 guests, we can stick with our original package. But banking on that is risky I feel.
    I was really not expecting this kind of response, and at this point it’s too early to call what 2021 will look like. Our next deposit payment will be due in Dec (6mths from wedding). By that point we would have to be ok with the idea of taking the risk of dealing with 25 costs/ postponing fee as it would still be too early to know what status in June would be like. I really just feel this isn’t right and we are being made pay for all the losses incurred during this year. How can these kind of additional fees and restrictions be imposed? Is anyone else dealing with this type of scenario? Thanks

NM123 that sounds really unfair of your venue, I’d be so disappointed with such massive changes like that.

NM123 that sounds really unfair of your venue, I’d be so disappointed with such massive changes like that.

Yes, it really took us by surprise. I struggle to understand how they could enforce such fees and limitations. It just doesn't seem like a reasonable approach to take and not sure where we stand now on it. I just wasn't sure if this is now the norm for similar venues, but from what i gather it is not...

NM123 wrote: »
    Yes, it really took us by surprise. I struggle to understand how they could enforce such fees and limitations. It just doesn't seem like a reasonable approach to take and not sure where we stand now on it. I just wasn't sure if this is now the norm for similar venues, but from what i gather it is not...

I read your post this morning and I was so upset for you! I can't see the justification for such outrageous fees, it's not like you just decided to postpone on a whim! It's completely unfair and unreasonable what they are expecting. I would strongly suggest contacting a solicitor and forward the information you have received from your venue regarding fees and contracts, and ask the solicitor for advice on how to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Samsung20

NM123 wrote: »
    Hi all, our wedding is June 2021, I contacted our venue to get a sense of how they are handling minimum numbers etc right now. Our contract is for 80 guests. The venue is an exclusive venue, they only do weddings.
    I was informed that a new package has been drawn up for both 25 and 50 guest options. Both have an increase to the price per head, an increase to the Accommodation costs (with certain number of rooms to be taken), and on the 25 guest package, there is also now an added venue hire fee (€3500). (No venue hire fee as part of original contract).
    Also, it is mentioned that if we wanted to postpone to 2022/2023, we can do so, booking at 2022/23 price per heads (increase to both package and accommodation rate) and also would have to pay a €2000 “postponement” fee, which would keep the exclusivity of the venue. This postponement fee could be waived, but venue would no longer be exclusive (which I don’t know how this would work).
    If guidelines mean we can have 80 guests, we can stick with our original package. But banking on that is risky I feel.
    I was really not expecting this kind of response, and at this point it’s too early to call what 2021 will look like. Our next deposit payment will be due in Dec (6mths from wedding). By that point we would have to be ok with the idea of taking the risk of dealing with 25 costs/ postponing fee as it would still be too early to know what status in June would be like. I really just feel this isn’t right and we are being made pay for all the losses incurred during this year. How can these kind of additional fees and restrictions be imposed? Is anyone else dealing with this type of scenario? Thanks

Hi NM123 , I know exactly how you feel, I think we have the same wedding venue, ? I contacted them two weeks ago and was told the very same they now have two new wedding packages for 25 /50 guests and have increased the price per head by a considerable amount. Our wedding was prosponed from this year until next March if level 3 restrictions our still in place by then (25 guests) we have to pay a venue hire fee of 3500? This was never mentioned in our original contract.

On questioning the venue about these price increases I was basically told as they our an exclusive wedding venue, the venue wasn't built to hold such small numbers, and in order for them to continue to operate currently and in the future they have to increase the prices or expect the minimum numbers in original contracts to be paid. Which basically mean they are making couples through no fault of their own foot the bill for the losses they have incurred. I think this is extremely unfair.

I would go ahead next year with only 25 or 50 guests no problem and pay the price in our original contract, but i am not agreeing to these new packages. I Will be getting onto a solicitor to see what my rights are and to see legally can the venue do this, as I feel they are breaking the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

I read your post this morning and I was so upset for you! I can't see the justification for such outrageous fees, it's not like you just decided to postpone on a whim! It's completely unfair and unreasonable what they are expecting. I would strongly suggest contacting a solicitor and forward the information you have received from your venue regarding fees and contracts, and ask the solicitor for advice on how to proceed.

Very sound advice. It's a complete breach of contract and a solicitor can best advise you on it.

Samsung20 wrote: »
    Hi NM123 , I know exactly how you feel, I think we have the same wedding venue, ? I contacted them two weeks ago and was told the very same they now have two new wedding packages for 25 /50 guests and have increased the price per head by a considerable amount. Our wedding was prosponed from this year until next March if level 3 restrictions our still in place by then (25 guests) we have to pay a venue hire fee of 3500? This was never mentioned in our original contract.

On questioning the venue about these price increases I was basically told as they our an exclusive wedding venue, the venue wasn't built to hold such small numbers, and in order for them to continue to operate currently and in the future they have to increase the prices or expect the minimum numbers in original contracts to be paid. Which basically mean they are making couples through no fault of their own foot the bill for the losses they have incurred. I think this is extremely unfair.

I would go ahead next year with only 25 or 50 guests no problem and pay the price in our original contract, but i am not agreeing to these new packages. I Will be getting onto a solicitor to see what my rights are and to see legally can the venue do this, as I feel they are breaking the contract.

Hi there, yes this sounds the exact same. I can understand that some adjustments may be needed to cover a minimum cost on the very low numbers, but feel these options are extremely unreasonable and morally wrong. We get that a bit of flexibility on either side is needed in these times, but i feel these options are taking complete advantage of the situation. Considering that under these options, the price that would be charged for a wedding of 25 guests would be the same price as 50, can hardly be justified in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

In secular countries like France you MUST go to the Mairie, or town hall and get married under civil law. After that you can do whatever you like either religious or quirky for your wedding.

The first bit is the legal bit of course. I like that approach personally.

I suppose same can be done here too, with the religious blessing afterwards if you are inclined.

We’ve just provisionally held a date for spring 2022 in case we are not in at least level 1 by April 2021. The relief is unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

In secular countries like France you MUST go to the Mairie, or town hall and get married under civil law. After that you can do whatever you like either religious or quirky for your wedding.

The first bit is the legal bit of course. I like that approach personally.

I suppose same can be done here too, with the religious blessing afterwards if you are inclined.

TBH I prefer the option here to have the solemniser come to where you are. It's just a pity it is so hard to get in the register outside of a religious organization

• Advertisement

Anyone who has bought their dresses, are you concerned that they might not suit a Covid restriction wedding?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Anyone who has bought their dresses, are you concerned that they might not suit a Covid restriction wedding?

How would it not suit? Presumably you still want to look your best on the day regardless. It shouldn't make a difference just because there is a smaller number of guests there to see it.

I'm more worried about Covid weight and not fitting into it anymore :rolleyes:

woodchuck wrote: »
    How would it not suit? Presumably you still want to look your best on the day regardless. It shouldn't make a difference just because there is a smaller number of guests there to see it.

I was just thinking of standing outside the civil registry office in an elaborate floor length gown. For me certain dress styles suit certain wedding days. I was wondering what others thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I was just thinking of standing outside the civil registry office in an elaborate floor length gown. For me certain dress styles suit certain wedding days. I was wondering what others thought.

Lots of brides wear traditional weddings gowns to civil marriages, doesn’t look odd at all. Why would it?

eviltwin wrote: »
    Lots of brides wear traditional weddings gowns to civil marriages, doesn’t look odd at all. Why would it?

Ok that's good. I was just wondering is all :)

Ok that's good. I was just wondering is all :)

You do you and I'm sure you will look beautiful in the dress you chose, regardless of where you're getting married. Have a lovely day and enjoy it all ❤️

woodchuck wrote: »

Haha, me too. I'm terrified of not fitting into the dress and it's not a figure hugging one, so I shouldn't, but it's a fairly normal anxiety I would imagine. Good ole pandemic vibes ðŸ¾

cazzer22 wrote: »
    You do you and I'm sure you will look beautiful in the dress you chose, regardless of where you're getting married. Have a lovely day and enjoy it all ❤️

Thank you :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

So, as if Covid anxiety wasn't enough, I've just found out through my hair stylist's instagram that she's pregnant! I have no idea how far along but am now worried if a new baby will impact whether she'll be available for our wedding in June! It was so hard to find someone when I first went looking that I'm very worried that I'll be doing my own hair if she can't!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

She might have a backup to cover for her?

Out of interest... how difficult is it to find someone to do hair? My plan all along was to have my brothers girlfriend do my hair (she's professionally trained). They live in Canada though. They've booked their flights for the wedding in May, but obviously I've no idea if they'll actually be able to come. I haven't booked a backup, as I don't want to throw money away on a non-refundable deposit.

We're getting married on a Sunday though, so I'm hoping if I'm stuck, I'll be able to find someone to do my hair closer to the time? :/ If they're even allowed by then...

Advertisement