Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where is the cheapest place to get Diesel - Petrol

• 21-10-2020 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi All,
    I had a look but could not find any threads featuring the above.
    Since the Budget I have been looking at the pump prices and there is some difference in price for Diesel & Petrol at various garages.
    Now the reason I was looking on here is because I haven't been out for a few days and I need to fill the auld banger today. Obviously I want the best deal for my buck, so I think it would be great if you guys post the cheapest places you come across.

Date: 15/10/20
    Diesel €1.09
    Petrol €1.18
    Garage: Castlebellingham petrol station
    Dundalk Rd, Castlebellingham, Co. Louth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Cheap Border County fuel? Hmmmm..

But I think you'll do well to veat the prices above.

Cheapest near me is 112 per litre of diesel.

Big range too, with one station at 119 for diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Is pumps.ie still going?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Few around here in tipp, where people were buying cheaper fuel and ran into difficulties with their engines. I go to a local station that has a good reputation

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Pkiernan wrote: »

Pumps around the border are that bit cheaper to entice in the NI drivers crossing the border for their road diesel. Honestly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Is pumps.ie still going?

Doesn't seem to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Is pumps.ie still going?

Site has not been update in over five years, and the App disappeared from the AppStore years ago as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you could argue that's a very narrow range, too; diesel and petrol are probably the most uniformly priced commodity you'd routinely buy, if the difference between max and min is less than 7%.

50l at the above prices would cost €56 or €59.50 - whether you'd go for the €56 option might for many people be simply down to whether they'd often pass that filling station or not.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Currently the Certa automated stations are still quite cheap so anywhere with one of those is going to have local competition. Urlingford was also infamous for being very cheap.

But realistically, unless you're already passing one you'll burn more than you save heading specifically; let alone how little you must value your own time for a long divert.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

L1011 wrote: »
    But realistically, unless you're already passing one you'll burn more than you save heading specifically
    probably not on this measure (though i'd agree on the time value one).

as per the example i gave, a saving of €3.50 would necessitate a 40km+ detour for the extra distance to burn more than is saved, money wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 w0bbles

But I think you'll do well to veat the prices above.

Not close enough to the border for that scutter, It's a genuine garage but those prices were a few days ago as stated but I shall update in a day or two.

• Advertisement

Lots of replies but not one garage address or price quoted. This defeats the purpose of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

w0bbles wrote: »
    Lots of replies but not one garage address or price quoted. This defeats the purpose of this thread.

These sort of threads have been tried before, they are not a good alternative to a proper database and end up fizzling out.

Try the most recent one on the Motors board:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057969828

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭beachhead

Is pumps.ie still going?

Not for at least a year

Vic_08 wrote: »
    These sort of threads have been tried before, they are not a good alternative to a proper database and end up fizzling out.

Try the most recent one on the Motors board:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057969828

Thanks i'll have a look.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    yeah, most people usually just keep a mental note of which filling stations are usually cheap and visit them, rather than actually trying to find the cheapest on the spot prices.

Date: 24/10/20
    Diesel €1.11
    Petrol €1.19

Apple Green:
    Dundalk Rd, Castlebellingham, Co. Louth

That's still the cheapest I have come across in & around Co. Louth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

w0bbles wrote: »
    Date: 24/10/20
    Diesel €1.11
    Petrol €1.19

Apple Green:
    Dundalk Rd, Castlebellingham, Co. Louth

That's still the cheapest I have come across in & around Co. Louth.

Cheapest in my area would be Applegreen in Enfield, Meath. Usually 5/10 c cheaper for diesel than most other places around .

There is a small place in Enfield that is around the same but would be concerned about fuel quality in smaller operators.

Advertisement