Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

.22 Confusion

Options
  • 24-10-2020 9:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭

We hear of magnum, swift, rugar etc, as my friend has got his licence I’m thinking of getting a rifle for vermin.
    Is a .223 still a .22 e.g a .223 tikka? My friend got a magnum it was belong to his uncle, he also has a swift but from googling they seem to be dinasour. Thinking a tikka .223.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭keith s

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_caliber

Some 22 rounds are center fire, some rimfire.

If your confused about whether you can use any 22 round in any 22 rifle - in short (no pun intended), the answer is no you cannot.

Have a look at Google images of the dimensions of the round and casings, you will see how different they are in overall length.

223 is probably the most popular round used as a dedicated fox rifle.
    220 swift maybe around a long time, but it's still popular in its own right and (I'm nearly sure) can legally be used for deer with the right ammo.

Both over the top for rabbits.
    Both are a solid choice for fox as far as I have heard!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

Thanks for replies, I understand you can’t use one 22 bullet in another. I learned basic shapes and sizes when I was 3 years old. I think the .223 is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Xtrail14 wrote: »
    Thanks for replies, I understand you can’t use one 22 bullet in another. I learned basic shapes and sizes when I was 3 years old. I think the .223 is the way to go.

Yeah the 223 is hard to beat for foxes. Wide range of ammo, economically priced, flat shooting, low recoil, great killing power.

There are other calibres that more powerful or flatter shooting but they're usually more expensive to shoot. Hard to justify expensive ammo when you're shooting something you're not going to eat.

Xtrail14 wrote: »

Haha, sorry didn't mean to sound condescending if it came across that way.

I didn't understand where the confusion was, but re-reading your post, I think it's actually in the names.

Tikka and Ruger are companies that make firearms - like the Ruger Precision rifle or the Tikka T3 Rifle.

Magnum refers to (generally speaking) a round with more power, in many different calibres.

Some manufacturers came up/designed rounds, like Winchester. Winchester model 70 rifle and they also designed the. 243 round/cartridge which is now made by many ammunition companies, as are the rifles are made by many different firearms companies. But the calibre is called ".243 WIN"

Another example of the is .17HMR (Hornady Magnum Rimfire) a magnum round designed by Hornady.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭GooseB

Haha, sorry didn't mean to sound condescending if it came across that way.

From my reading of this thread, you didn't come across that way at all keith s. Quite the opposite in fact.

Advertisement