Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Mitre10 cup

• 11-09-2020 6:55am
    Subscribers Posts: 40,729 ✭✭✭✭

A thread for general chat about NZ club rugby comp this season.

I see Alex ainley is starting for tasman at the ripe old age of 39.... And their back line is absolutely delicious.

Christie, hunt, telea, nankirville, fainga'anuka, reece and Jordan.

If the forwards can give those lads a platform they will be well worth their favorites tag.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭JohnniDrama

Great to see the two Irish boys involved.

Conan O Donnell with Counties and Regan with Otago.

Last year COD got to play with Sonny Bill, this year it’s Kieran Read and Dalton Papali’i.

Very cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Results so far:

North Harbour v Canterbury 29-43
    Waikato v Wellington 53-28
    Otago v Auckland 6-38
    Counties Manukau v Tasman 24-41

Big upset is Waikato beating a Wellington team with Julian Savea (who scored the opening try). Predictably the championship teams are beaten by prem teams and Tasman and Canterbury looking strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I completely missed that this comp had started until I saw some results on Facebook. I blame my wedding anniversary :mad: I assume that its on Sky. I will have make sure I set up the record for the rest of the season.

This year could actually result in the public interest and attendances rise due to the lack of rugby this year and the fact that a lot of current and former ABs will be playing. Thank you covid :D i don't expect it to get back to the heyday of the '90s but it would be good to see the fans get into it again. Still say its greatest national comp in the world.

More results:
    Northland v Manawatu 43-26
    Taranaki v Bay of Plenty 36-29
    Southland v Hawke’s Bay 16-10

Taranaki v BoP is the game that proves they need away kits. Taranaki would have had 3 Barrett brothers if Scott wasn't injured. Stags get surely their sole win of the year.

• Advertisement

Taranaki beat Canterbury 23-22 at home which means they are now the holders of the Ranfurly Shield. There were 2 sets of brothers playing for Taranaki, Beauden and Jordie Barrett, and Lachlan and Kaylum Boshier. Game is worth a watch if you have access to it.

Some more upsets:

Southland have their second win of the season over North Harbour - bear in mind they are perennial underdogs who are lucky to get a solitary win per season.
    Hawkes Bay beat Canterbury for the first time since 1983!
    Also Tasman keep rolling on and Wellington get a win.

The Ranfurly Shield match between Taranaki and Otago tomorrow should be worth a watch, intensity is always near 100% for a shield encounter.

Edit: Irishman Jack Regan starts in the second row for Otago for added interest.

Well it looks like North Harbour have reverted to being **** this season. Oh well.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,729 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Great win for otago over taranaki in the ranfurly shield game

Log o wood sitting nicely in dunedin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭JohnniDrama

Counties loose again but Conan O’Donnell started at 3 in a pack with Kieran Read.

Pretty cool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

The Hawkes Bay - Cantab game was great; I only got around to watching it late last night - what a finish! Ash Dixon is having a great season.
    sydthebeat wrote: »

Great win for otago over taranaki in the ranfurly shield game Log o wood sitting nicely in dunedin

I didn't see the game, but assume that the Barretts weren't playing for Taranaki? I saw that Taranaki's hold on the log (for all of 8 days) is the fourth lowest in log history!

The Hawkes Bay - Cantab game was great; I only got around to watching it late last night - what a finish! Ash Dixon is having a great season.

I didn't see the game, but assume that the Barretts weren't playing for Taranaki? I saw that Taranaki's hold on the log (for all of 8 days) is the fourth lowest in log history!

Most ABs weren't released last weekend as they are in camp. Ash Dixon is unlucky he is behind Taylor and Coles because he is a solid all-round hooker.

Otago have a defence this weekend against Hawkes Bay (for those unfamiliar only home games are shield games). Should be a good open game under the roof as I see they had a dump of snow over the weekend.

Great win for otago over taranaki in the ranfurly shield game

Log o wood sitting nicely in dunedin
    Not for long unfortunately...it is on the move again to Hawke's Bay. Hot potato this season.

Jack regan scores the winning try 2mins from time for otago to beat Wellington by a point (after josh ioanes conversion)

Not bad for a Birr man

Big win for Auckland over tasman during the night... 31 - 20 to put them top of the prem.

Big game tonight between canterbury and waikato..... As the loser will be left behind the leading pack.

In the championship otago have a chance to go top if they can pull out a big win over counties

https://twitter.com/TasmanMako/status/1319509590166306817

German 19 year old on the bench for Tasman. Pretty unique story, seems likely we will see him at higher levels.

Another big win for otago this morning, after stepping down josh ioane and koroni for going out on the beer.

Perfect way for the team to let the lads know they aren't undroppable.

Some big results this morning.

Canterbury being absolutely spanked by bay and then north harbour, bottom of the premiership, beating Auckland by 1 point.

Could we actually see Canterbury relegated??

Great start to the rugby this morning. The mighty North Harbour winning the Battle of the Bridge!!
    Canterbury getting spanked by the BOP was a surprise.

Watching these matches makes me homesick.

Fantastic win for otago!!

First time in 15 years to beat Canterbury

• Advertisement

That is a great result for Otago. Canterbury are having a bad year but if they scrape into the play-offs, I wouldn't under estimate them.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    That is a great result for Otago. Canterbury are having a bad year but if they scrape into the play-offs, I wouldn't under estimate them.

Either would I, but they are an injury to mitch Drummond away from being an incredibly ordinary team.

Their set piece was shocking today. Very little invention in the back line too.... compared to some outstanding play from otago (korois try was disgusting!)

Either would I, but they are an injury to mitch Drummond away from being an incredibly ordinary team.

Their set piece was shocking today. Very little invention in the back line too.... compared to some outstanding play from otago (korois try was disgusting!)

I recorded the match so I'll watch it tonight with a few beers seeing as theres no live games on. Then up bright and early for the main event.

Good to see Kieran Read won his final game in NZ with a big play on 87 minutes. Not the player he was in 2015 but still a legend of the sport.

hahashake wrote: »
    Good to see Kieran Read won his final game in NZ with a big play on 87 minutes. Not the player he was in 2015 but still a legend of the sport.

https://youtu.be/roUBccJNn0k?t=231

Southland win the battle of the ages

Southland win the battle of the ages

Now that is an upset. From wooden spoon favourites to potentially fighting for a promotion.

Well this thread got swept aside by the internationals but the Championship (2nd Division) final was played between Hawkes Bay and Northland. Was an entertaining game, highlights here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WHc_yKxdh8

Nice dramatic sky in the latter half of the game:
    https://twitter.com/Mitre10Cup/status/1332224008683589632

Tomorrow is the Premiership final between Auckland and Tasman.

That was a tight one!

Tasman retain the mitre 10 from last year with a one point win

• Advertisement
Advertisement