Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Funny/Unusual things you've seen on the golf course

• 23-10-2020 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

There was a thread like this some time ago but I couldn't find it to add to it today...

On Sunday morning we were playing a par 3 - 175yds to the pin downhill.
    One of the players hits it over the green. There is an out of bounds behind the green and you can be unlucky if it gets a bad bounce or hits the cart path.

So, he hits his provisional - into the hole!

Walks down finds his first ball, chips onto the green and then 3-putts for a scratch!

What funny/unusual things have you experienced on the course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,820 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I would think he was quite entitled to stick the 3 down on the card once he held the provisional. Why on earth would you look for the other ball

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Ronney

Seve OB wrote: »
    I would think he was quite entitled to stick the 3 down on the card once he held the provisional. Why on earth would you look for the other ball

If it was match play I'm sure you'd find the first for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Well - he did declare provisional on the tee and the ball was sitting up and obvious from the green.

All he had to do was take the provisional out of the hole

https://golf.com/instruction/rules/rules-guy-hole-out-provisional-ball-abandon-original/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Maybe he was in the 2s? You don't get paid for the Par.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I did not know this.
    I guess that he played in the spirit of the game - all 4 players could see his ball before he got to the green/hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

BraveDonut wrote: »
    I did not know this.
    I guess that he played in the spirit of the game - all 4 players could see his ball before he got to the green/hole.

The article and the OP's situation are very different.

You don't have to look for your original ball... but I'm fairly sure you can't decide to just unsee a ball in plain sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

PARlance wrote: »
    The article and the OP's situation are very different.

You don't have to look for your original ball... but I'm fairly sure you can't decide to just unsee a ball in plain sight.

Yeah, If anyone saw the ball on the path then he's playing that ball. It wasn't lost in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Pretty massive snake on a green in Naples Florida a couple of years ago. Thought someone had left a coat on the green it was that big. Looked it up afterwards and it wasn't dangerous. Still, was more wary about wandering into the bushes looking for a ball after that.
    Unusual for me I suppose, maybe not so unusual over there...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Couple of the funniest things I saw on golf course.

One fella hit a bad wedge shot then gave his bag a whack of the wedge. About a hole later you could see a puzzled look on his face as he went over the his bag and took his brand new I phone out smashed to pieces.
    I had tears in my eyes i laughed that hard!

Another time i saw some go behind a Bush on the course and punch himself in the face after a bad shot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,978 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Funny/serious.

Playing in a pro am in the US, am in the duo we were playing with was getting increasingly frustrated as round went on. He was driving the three of us nuts, late in the round he hit a bad shot and threw his club at this cart, it somehow went through the opening in the cart from one side to the other without touching it, and hit his pro on the other side. While myself and my pro, stood still with our mouths open, it took the other pro a second to register what happened, he then told the am, who he knew and had arranged to play in the am, to get the f**k off the course and never contact him again. After apologising profusely to us, we finished the round and drank loads in the clubhouse, ending up laughing about what had been one of the strangest rounds in all our lifetimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Slam dunked a hole in one...

On the temp green.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭willabur

a mate of mine threw is back out farting while trying to put his playing partner off his longest drive attempt

The only medical person they could find to help him was the local vet

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

First hole tee off. Competition with que at tee box and putting green full of players.

Awful awful drive.

Hit railway sleeper about 30 yards in front right on the edge.

Ball ended on putting green about 50yards behind tee box.

What could you do. Burst out laughing and got playing partners to clear way for me to take next shot from behind the putting green...to land it in the ladies tee. Enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Our old 1st used to be a horrible 200m uphill par 3 behind the road with carpark on right followed by trees. Putting green and Pro shop left.
    As your first shot of the day it was very intimidating, many a ball landed on putting green, one ball ended up in the pro shop.
    As a teenager I was up there early playing with my friends, managed to hit the wooden stake on the fence beside the tee box, ball went through the carpark through the main gate as the Pro was driving in.
    His first words to me were "I think you might need a lesson"

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Playing the 18th at my course with my old man a good few years back - late on a Summers evening racing against the dark. Came up short in a fluffy lie so decided to flatten a sand-wedge and flop it onto green. Absolutely skulled it - zoomed off head height across green over the (thankfully empty) putting green smacked full force into the clubhouse glass window, rebounded back across the putting green, & scooted up onto the back edge of the green!!! We walk up onto the green & my old man comments that I was a long way from pin and it was unlike me to hit such a poor shot - I was almost wetting myself he hadn't even seen my shot and don't know what he thought the loud resonating bang of ball on reinforced glass was...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

Only a few weeks ago my buddy teeing off hit the bridge we walk over and ended up 150 yards further from the hole than where we teed up. We fell about laughing and he ended up making par while we bogeyed the hole!

In the hole before that a pond at the side of the tee box, another regular playing partner though he had parked his trolley. As the trolley took off for the pond he made a grab for it and fell in himself. After we pulled him out and he exited for the clubhouse we wet ourselves laughing again

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Nothing that mad, but a friend of mine was in some trouble behind a tree on the 1st hole in Cill Dara, and tried to play through a very narrow gap. Hit it solidly enough, but hit a couple of trees, and we lost the balls flight. Both of us look around to find it, and it lands on his head about 10 seconds later (probably not 10 seconds, but felt like that). I remember i was looking right at him when it landed, and the look on his face was hilarious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Not ON the course, but we've all done stupid things, haven't we? ~30ish years ago I hit balls around a green field surrounded by houses. Skipping quickly beyond the how and why of it this is what happened (through the eyes of me as a young lad)

after somehow stupidly swing hard and connecting perfectly with a 3 iron directly at a row of houses, there I stood. Watching in horror as the ball I have just hit is flying through the air in serious trouble. Not trouble like "I might make a double here", this is worse, soon the sound of smashing windows, Screaming possibly, Sirens soon?

Stomach tense. Legs feel funny suddenly. I'm willing, silently, but with all my inner might that something happens. Something to change the direction of the ball. Miss the houses somehow. Blow wind. Go left, go right, go over them, land short! There's no wind. Do something! No chance, it's getting closer, it's going in. I'm not going to get out of this one! The last ball I ever hit in my life? Do they put kids in jail? Should I turn and run? These few seconds are taking forever. I stay put. Adrenline pumping, Transfixed.

[5 yards before slamming into the house the ball abruptly stops mid-air. Never seen anything like it before or since in my life!]

It stopped dead? Mid-air? Jerked immediately backwards. It fell out of the sky? This can't happen. It happened! It hit something? Divine intervention? Have my eyes deceived me? What about other senses, sound? I hear a sound. It's a half second later but the sound takes a moment to reach where I'm standing. A smash sound? No, A scream sound? No. It's a much lighter sound. A welcome sound? I think so. Metalic. Pingey. I hear the ball now, bouncing. The wind blows something in front of the house. I slowly piece together what happened. A power cable, a phone cable? But there's no wind, we already said that?! It takes a moment more, then starts to dawn on me. The ball has struck a power cable in front of the house and come back off it. My willing the ball to change direction actually worked. I'm saved. PHEW! I breathe a massive sigh of relief. This could have worked out much worse!

Drop another ball. Take a little bit off this next one we will.

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Not ON the course, but we've all done stupid things, haven't we? ~30ish years ago I hit balls around a green field surrounded by houses. Skipping quickly beyond the how and why of it this is what happened (through the eyes of me as a young lad).

reminds me of when i was a kid doing the same. we had a little golf course set up around the estate, from gardens to greens and vice versa. mainly short enough shots, par 3 stuff, but we did play one hole par 4 would tee off and have to go straight down a cul de sac to a little green at the end. the tee shot was blind, so we would have someone go up to the crossroads and keep sketch for any cars /people coming!

sometimes we would even play the trickiest hole, a shot over the dart line into the next estate........ would rarely finish those holes out :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

Nothing major - but some of the funnier things to happen to me on a golf course;

I skimmed a ball over a lake when I was a junior. Playing waterford castle and driving off with a wooden three wood (so a decent while ago, although it was very rare to see a wooden wood then anyway). I drilled the ball no height into the air and it was slowly dipping into the water, not going to make it over. Until it effectively bounced over the lake!

Another I enjoyed (although I should feel bad about it) was slicing a drive into a field to the right of the 4th hold in tramore. I lost loads of balls there. This particular one landed on a cows ar$e! I heard the thump and the poor thing screamed and bounced around. God knows what it thought had happened! If it was slaughtered someone must have gotten an extra tender steak. If it was a dairy cow someone got some sour milk!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Was playing with a few mates a ye as r or two ago. Mate pulled out a 7 iron and sh**ked it into the sh**e. Threw his 7 iron at his bag. Fast forward to the next hole, he gets up takes his back swing and the head falls off his driver and hits him on the head, I literally nearly pissed myself. He then gets his 3 wood to tee off and the shaft was broken on that too.
    Needless to say it was a costly round for him but we did have a good laugh that day and in fairness he was laughing himself.

Advertisement