Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bungalow build - planning

• 19-10-2020 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Is it possible to build a bungalow to a fairly good standard for 240000ish in the south east? Have been enquiring about a mortgage but I think we would be better to get plans drawn up and planning application in first? A lot of the questions the banks ask when I enquire re build cost I dont know the answer yet. We have a site already.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,966 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Is it possible to build a bungalow to a fairly good standard for 240000ish in the south east? Have been enquiring about a mortgage but I think we would be better to get plans drawn up and planning application in first? A lot of the questions the banks ask when I enquire re build cost I dont know the answer yet. We have a site already.

Yes it is.

Clever design will give you the best result for your budget

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Hereford202

Ya, I've done rough sketches. Not looking for anything fancy, probably thinking an L shape to allow for a sitting room come dining room/kitchen. But otherwise fairly standard shaped rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭muddle84

Its all about size and specification. If you want a high spec then you might have to keep the footprint down and visa versa if you're happy with a lower spec house you could look at a larger footprint.

The planning will determine what BER rating you will need so you will be governed by that to a point in terms of insulation. On average from my own experience and friends in the west of the country the average cost per square meter is around €1300 for middle of the range house so you would be looking at 180 to 190 spuare meters.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Muddle, when did build?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,966 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

muddle84 wrote: »
    Its all about size and specification. If you want a high spec then you might have to keep the footprint down and visa versa if you're happy with a lower spec house you could look at a larger footprint.

The planning will determine what BER rating you will need so you will be governed by that to a point in terms of insulation. On average from my own experience and friends in the west of the country the average cost per square meter is around €1300 for middle of the range house so you would be looking at 180 to 190 spuare meters.

the bolded bit is incorrect

your "level of insulation" is determined by the building regulations that are applicable at the time of construction, and are the same for everyone throughout the country.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    the bolded bit is incorrect

your "level of insulation" is determined by the building regulations that are applicable at the time of construction, and are the same for everyone throughout the country.

My bad! I should have said the BER report determines what insulation, specs for windows doors etc you need to meet the building regs!

BryanF wrote: »
    Muddle, when did build?

I am currently building at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Hereford202

Have prices gone up much? We're still in the planning stages. Unsure whether to build or buy. Although buying seems expensive too. What would a 3 bed bungalow be worth these days? South of the country.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Have prices gone up much? We're still in the planning stages. Unsure whether to build or buy. Although buying seems expensive too. What would a 3 bed bungalow be worth these days? South of the country.

Prices yes.
    Insulation alone has gone up near 40% since last year.
    Labour, Savin pipes and timber have all shot up.

Advertisement