Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EV for total 100km motorway daily trip?

• 22-10-2020 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Was hoping to wait another year or 2 but the turbo on my car needs to be replaced and will cost about 2000- 3000 min I'm told. So forced to look at EV sooner than I had hoped.

Have a daily drive of about 50km to work and then back home, so total of just over 100km per day. 2 days per week on motorway and remaining 3 days doing 100km on national roads. Would prefer to charge at home only.

Would either of the cars below be suitable for trips above?

2020 Leaf 40kwh
    2020 Ionic 38.3 Kwh

Should I aim for bigger battery?
    Have front yard so charging at night not a problem.
    Would like to keep car for at least 5 years, will a 40kwh battery be still good in 5 years time?

Could fix the turbo too and wait as I had planned but car is 10yrs old now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

The cars you mentioned are more than capable of your commute. A 30kW Leaf or a 28kW Ioniq will also easily cover 100km with at least 40km to spare.
    Batteries nowadays, since 2014, have much improved chemistry and should be good for many many years.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

At said, both cars you mention will be more than enough for that trip. Not much value in them new though. Ioniq38 is overpriced from the get go.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Range won't be an issue, but the 50kWh Peugeot 208 seems to be about the same price (€27k) as the Leaf 40kWh so might be worth looking at.

And the Zoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭baby fish

Thanks for replies

I'm under bit of pressure as the turbo is giving up so I might have to purchase soon,probably will have to be 2nd hand as wont be able to wait for delivery of a new one

If I arrived home with an Bev in the next few days, is charging from a normal 3 pin socket a realistic option every night? until I get the proper charging plug thing installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

baby fish wrote: »

If I arrived home with an Bev in the next few days, is charging from a normal 3 pin socket a realistic option every night? until I get the proper charging plug thing installed?

Yes, just keep an eye if socket is not overheating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭eagerv

Thanks for replies

I'm under bit of pressure as the turbo is giving up so I might have to purchase soon,probably will have to be 2nd hand as wont be able to wait for delivery of a new one

I am a bit biassed, we bought an Ioniq 28 last March. Cannot fault the car, efficient and refined.
    Will easily cover your commute, advantage of a small battery is that it will charge fairly quickly from a 3 pin plug.
    Long warranty and great value IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭zg3409

Yes. As said check plug does not get warm after 30 minutes. Try not to use an exrension lead. My Ioniq 28kWh with 110km commute consumes an average of 20kWh each night. A granny cable supplies 2kW per hour so it will take approx 10 hours to fill back up. You should plug in as soon as you get home and expect an average of 10 hours needed per day.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Should be no problem, unless you've dodge wiring to that socket. As mentioned, just be conscious of the socket overheating. Charging your car on a 3 pin (granny cable) is like boiling a kettle for 9 hours. It draws a lot of current (not half as much as a proper charge point though)

Time wise with either of those cars you're fine. You'll be charging at up to 2kW, so in a 28 or 30kWh battery, that's 15 hours to full, from empty, which you'll never do really. Evening to morning (12 hours) you'll be no bother getting it fully charged.

Have a look at your energy provider, and your energy usage. EVs 99% of the time make it more economical to switch to a night rate with your energy provider. Typically a night rate is 8-10c cheaper than a 24hour rate, while the day rate is only 1c more expensive. Considering you'll be charging at night, it will most likely make sense to switch to a night rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

2000-3000 to fix a turbo?

Is it a WRC car?

A recon turbo can be had for €400

[QUOTE= Is it a WRC car? A recon turbo can be had for €400[/QUOTE]

Not a WRC , but I probably drove it like it was!:pac:
    The quote I got was through a main dealer, independent garage probably would cheaper but I didn't know what was wrong when I went there

Will the leaf/ionic for example, car come with all leads for charging or is it just the granny plug lead as standard and then buy the rest yourself?

What effect has 4 adults on range in an Bev car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

The quote I got was through a main dealer, independent garage probably would cheaper but I didn't know what was wrong when I went there

Will the leaf/ionic for example, car come with all leads for charging or is it just the granny plug lead as standard and then buy the rest yourself?

Leaf comes with both cables, also has spare wheel (emergency type) rather than the canned stuff.

With range comes down to driving style, leaf is not efficient at motorway speeds at all. Need to be happy doing 100 105 etc. Leaf I would consider a frequent short journeys type of car. Have done long trips (2 x 450 km) which required 2 dc charges at 45 mins each on a single day. Both time dc charged got more less the same juice.

I wouldn't recommend the new ionic, look at the renault and the Peugeot, same bracket.
    If you could stretch the ionic then look at the id3 from volkswagen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

youll likely get a turbo done for 400-500! what car do you currently have? It doesnt make sense to me, you have a newish car, hence in main dealer or your car is worth very little and then are you looking to spend 30k or more on an electric?!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    youll likely get a turbo done for 400-500! what car do you currently have? It doesnt make sense to me, you have a newish car, hence in main dealer or your car is worth very little and then are you looking to spend 30k or more on an electric?!

Went to main dealer because presumed it was something small like a sensor , some orange warning lights on the dash, but then got the bad news.. car is moving okish at moment, has orange warning lights on dash and it doesnt accelerate like it did before between 0 - 3 revs. No, not a newish car , its a 10yr old avensis and has done 100km per day..... 400 - 500 for the turbo fitted? is that a mechanic at home in his garage or would you expect that at an independent garage? will try an independent garage tomorrow..

its 2500-3000 for the turbo fitted, not just for the turbo itself ....I know it still expensive but just incase it looked like it was just the turbo!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

eagerv wrote: »
    I am a bit biassed, we bought an Ioniq 28 last March. Cannot fault the car, efficient and refined.
    Will easily cover your commute,
    advantage of a small battery is that it will charge fairly quickly from a 3 pin plug.
    Long warranty and great value IMO.
    :D
    And there is me thinking size matters

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Went to main dealer because presumed it was something small like a sensor , some orange warning lights on the dash, but then got the bad news.. car is moving okish at moment, has orange warning lights on dash and it doesnt accelerate like it did before between 0 - 3 revs. No, not a newish car , its a 10yr old avensis and has done 100km per day..... 400 - 500 for the turbo fitted? is that a mechanic at home in his garage or would you expect that at an independent garage? will try an independent garage tomorrow..

I think thats what my indie charges, but he is an unbelievable mechanic and would leave any car in with him, I wouldnt main dealer near my car, rob you blind, while they pay an apprentice a few euro an hour to do the job on your car... where are you based? My mechanic is in Dublin 14, if you are dublin based and want his number, let me know.

I am all for electric cars, just be aware, you will likely lose thousands a year on depreciation and finance costs if you choose to go to a new or nearly new car...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GubbinsIE

Whatever EV you plump for should come with the cables you need, and if going 2nd hand you should make sure it does before committing to the purchase. Speaking as an old-model Ioniq 28 owner here it would be more than suitable for your needs.

Like many of the commenters here I hate to see a car written off young, but there's also a chance the economics of an EV could work in your favour with the mileage you're doing and the cost of keeping the car going.

I reckon right now comparing my old Mazda 5 brick to my Ioniq where I would previously have spent €100 on petrol I'm now spending about €15 on electricity. Add in the impact of cheaper motor tax and it might be a compelling long-term financial argument for you to switch if you can afford to.

Can't comment on the impact of 4 adults on range. I don't imagine it would be massive and you wouldn't have any issue with your 100km daily round trip.

Hope this helps.

The 3k quite is obviously obscene and a ten year old avensis is a modern car. Motor tax will be very little regardless on both cars, yes servicing etc cheaper and way less to go wrong on electric. Bit the biggest cost with cars, tends to be depreciation and finance, if you are dead set on changing car, thats fine. But financially, i reckon buying a 30k car , total cost of ownership, will be far higher than staying with avensis, particularly for first few years ...

Imo this quote is a garage looking at falling car sales and trying to get the op into something new, that they conveniently have... how much a week do you currently spend on fuel op?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Imo this quote is a garage looking at falling car sales and trying to get the op into something new, that they conveniently have... how much a week do you currently spend on fuel op?

Usually spend about 50 - 60 euro every week and travel about 500 - 600km ... Motor tax is 390euro. I don't think they are trying to get me into something new tbh.

Have contacted a mechanic over the phone who thinks it could be around 700 depending on what's wrong, I suppose that's the key bit, no point fixing it unless the cause of the problem is fixed too! Not connected to this chat with the mechanic I found a reconditioned turbo online for 300euro so will probably have a go at replacing it and get an electric car in a year or 2 when there is better selection of new/2nd hand available.

Advertisement