Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ethernet Powerline Adapters with EV Chargers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

I use these and have no issues whatsoever when car is charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Curious why you think charging a car would affect them?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

JPA wrote: »
    Curious why you think charging a car would affect them?

Any high powder draw effects them.

Electric showers for example, but it all depends on how the house is wired.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Varik wrote: »
    Any high powder draw effects them.

Electric showers for example, but it all depends on how the house is wired.

I see. An electric shower will draw more than a car charging though.
    And from the mains seems to indicate plugged in i.e. granny cable, which would draw only about 2 kW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Never noticed an issue in my house. the home charger is on a separate RCD though

• Advertisement

Random question - anyone confirm that there is no issues with Powerline* Ethernet adapters when charging your EV from the mains? Googled it but not seeing anything around this topic & my home has these adapters in place..

Here's a good one for you, from who else but the Mad_Lad :D

Those Powerline adaptors give off high levels of radio interference and if you got an Amateur Radio Licensed radio operator close by and this interference is found to be coming from your home you will be requested to remove it by Comreg failure to remove the offending device will see legal action taken, why you may ask ? well more than the Licensed radio operator, the Radio spectrum is protected by international law.

This is the same for bad cheap laptop or phone chargers bought online, or bad led lights or even bad old skool LCD or plasma TV which can interfere with Eir broadband and they have had offending devices removed from homes.

If you can at all get CAT 5 to where you need the internet do because here's another fun fact, EV charge points can and do cause RF interference, some more than others. Or WiFI extenders work better and are usually much faster these days.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Similar thing happened to my Dad I think. I think it was a security camera he got from China, but it was causing interference with something (it was a long time ago, i'm vague on the details). Guys arrived at the door asking if he had X because there's issues with Y in the area. He didn't have X, but thought for a bit and the timeline they talked about sync'd up with when he got that camera. Unplugged the camera and they checked the signal and all was good. Interesting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Similar thing happened to my Dad I think. I think it was a security camera he got from China, but it was causing interference with something (it was a long time ago, i'm vague on the details). Guys arrived at the door asking if he had X because there's issues with Y in the area. He didn't have X, but thought for a bit and the timeline they talked about sync'd up with when he got that camera. Unplugged the camera and they checked the signal and all was good. Interesting one.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-54239180

Some lad in wales had an old TV that caused his village to have broadband issues for months even after they replaced the cables.

Electronics are sensitive, I don't use the powerline as they by their nature add a bit of noise to the electrical signal which can effect sensitive audio equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,254 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Some lad in wales had an old TV that caused his village to have broadband issues for months even after they replaced the cables.

Electronics are sensitive, I don't use the powerline as they by their nature add a bit of noise to the electrical signal which can effect sensitive audio equipment.

I use them have no issues what do ever

The radio spectrum is protected by international law and so is the Shortwave Spectrum that Radio amateurs use and it's also used by many different Governments, Military, Aircraft and of course commercial radio stations and devices such as Powerline adaptors, dodgy cheap laptop/phone chargers, Camera power supplies, LED lights are made in China and are missing vital filtering components from their switch mode PSU which can even cause this interference to emit through the mains wiring causing disastrous interference for a very large distance and can knock out broadband due to the wide range of frequencies these devices effect.

The EU require certification , the CE mark but leave it up to the manufacturer to test their own equipment to ensure they comply which of course many don't and just stick on the CE mark, it's a farce much like the old NEDC emissions test.

There are many issues of interference caused by Solar PV inverters so much so that, if I remember correctly the Netherlands or Denmark banned a particular manufacturer from selling Solar PV inverters.

In my Mothers I had a Company replace a electric Gate control board because it was emitting huge levels of RFI, when I told them of the laws protecting the spectrum and told them Comreg will be informed they offered to replace the board and they did, problem solved.

There is much more activity on Shortwave today from Military because Satellites can be jammed, internet tracked and interfered with and tracked, radio mostly can't at least not to the extent internet can be tracked and if you scan the Shortwave spectrum you will sometimes hear coded messages from Military given to agents in the Field and this is real James Bond stuff, google Numbers stations.....

Anyway, buy branded stuff, replace original chargers with original, buy branded LED bulbs such as Osram and Philips and leave the no name crap on the shelf where it belongs.

I would advise anyone not to buy powerline adaptors today not just because they cause harmful emissions but because WiFi extenders today offer much better speeds over greater distances.

Even the ESB must resolve dodgy arching poles as a matter of international law that interfere with this radio spectrum.

• Advertisement

In my old estate where I lived most of my life I could not listen to the LW/MW/SW radio spectrum because of a Neighbours TV which I think was the old fluorescent backlit type LCD and I didn't say anything to them because I knew they would have thought I was nuts so before we moved out I asked one of the Sons to bring the portable radio upstairs and plug out the tv and the noise disappeared straight away, I knew it was their TV because the noise started from about 8am - 2am 7 days a week, they couldn't believe it and it was one reason I didn't get my Ham radio license because I couldn't hear anything on radio the noise was so bad but anyway, I know I really should have said it to them and offered a solution but I moved and live in a blissfully quiet area in the sticks and have wonderful Shortwave reception. :D

It just goes to show that a single TV can wipe out the entire LW/MW.SW spectrum for at least 50 meters radius.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

Powerline and VDSL might interfere, but EV charging should be fine.

Advertisement