Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Attempt at "perfect" fried eggs, question on temperatures

• 22-10-2020 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Trying my hand at a bit more cooking these days and while I can keep myself happily fed with what I know already (I think), I've decided to pick some basics to try and get a really good handle, which led me to this Guardian article (not able to link, but if you're interested and google "guardian perfect fried eggs, you'll see it) about how to cook the perfect fried egg/

The article mentions to melt the butter in a "low" heat, and to continue cooking the egg with the same - on a typical frying hob with settings of 1 - 6, what constitutes low here? I tried with 1 (didn't seem enough to really make an impact on the butter) and 2 didn't seem sufficient for the eggs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

It probably just says low so you don't burn the butter. I would have it on 3, put the eggs in the second the butter is melted then follow whatever else it says.

I would usually use a bit of veg oil, and when the egg white is cooked, get a small pot lid that covers the egg, drop a bit of water on the pan beside the egg and cover with the pot lid and let the steam cook the yoke for a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cork_boggan

It probably just says low so you don't burn the butter. I would have it on 3, put the eggs in the second the butter is melted then follow whatever else it says.

I would usually use a bit of veg oil, and when the egg white is cooked, get a small pot lid that covers the egg, drop a bit of water on the pan beside the egg and cover with the pot lid and let the steam cook the yoke for a few seconds.

Thanks - it mentions those steps as well over the article, I'll give that a try!

My understanding of the temperatures as settings is below - is that a bit simplistic?
    1 - Low
    2 - Medium-Low
    3 - Medium
    4 - Medium-High
    5 - High
    6 - Very High

• Registered Users Posts: 16,737 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Those knobs and how people describe them are far from an exact science.
    Experience and trial and error will stand you well.

BTW for me, a perfect fried egg is done on a scorching hot pan, has a crispy bottom and a runny yolk

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Linky:
    How to cook the perfect fried egg

Worth reading the comments, if you haven't already. Lots of them, though.

As the_beer man implies, "perfect" fried eggs are different for different people. The white in the photo at the top of that article looks horribly undercooked to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭phormium

Nothing turns my stomach more than the sight of undercooked white on a fried egg, semi transparent jellyish stuff ugh :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I liked the Paul Rankin method of putting a lid on the frying pan to perfectly cook the top of the egg so you still have a runny egg (if you want it runny) without the snotty albumin.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I'm more into the ripping hot pan, plenty of oil, crispy fried egg. Gently heating in butter is not frying :P

Advertisement