Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nursing Home Scandal Coming Again

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Gervais08 wrote: »
    You have no clue what you are taking about.

Yes I do, Stephen Donnelly as Minister for Health, a lead role in the Govt should have been on top of this after what happened at the start of the pandemic. They failed the nation again

Chances are if they are still in power, once this pandemic is over they will try hide all the files

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

When this is all over there should be trials not tribunals

Please God

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yes I do, Stephen Donnelly as Minister for Health, a lead role in the Govt should have been on top of this after what happened at the start of the pandemic. They failed the nation again

Chances are if they are still in power, once this pandemic is over they will try hide all the files
    If it's a public home it's the HSE, it's if private it's HIQA. How did the care home not notice until now what a huge problem they had?

Witch trials, like?

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    If it's a public home it's the HSE, it's if private it's HIQA. How did the care home not notice until now what a huge problem they had?

They did and contacted the HSE. HSE has no help available for them

The Govt promised this would not happen

They did and contacted the HSE. HSE has no help available for them

The Govt promised this would not happen
    According to a tweet by a GP. HSE Live closes at 8 anyway. Didn't they have any other numbers? I know someone who's been on call since April for nursing home issues and I doubt they are alone.

According to a tweet by a GP. HSE Live closes at 8 anyway. Didn't they have any other numbers? I know someone who's been on call since April for nursing home issues and I doubt they are alone.

Defend the Govt at all angles, I admire your stance

It's the HSE or HIQA if you're looking to blame someone. They approve and oversee care homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,089 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It's the HSE or HIQA if you're looking to blame someone. They approve and oversee care homes.

remind me who is responsible for the HSE?

• Advertisement

Minister Donnelly as Minister for Health should be on top of this, again he hasn't a clue

The Govt promised they had a plan and this would not happen again, it's happened

Govt at fault as well as HSE or HIQA

• Registered Users Posts: 27,127 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Amazing to see a Sinn Fein follower defending the interests of private sector organisations who have destroyed lives and whose incompetence has resulted in the deaths of so many people.

The HSE didn't bring the virus into the nursing home, the staff or visitors did, and they did so under whatever protocols the owner and management put in place. The HSE didn't sit on their hands until 26 of the 28 residents were infected and then run crying for help to the outside.

It really looks like a situation where the owners, management and staff thought they could keep it hidden and under control and have now panicked when they lost control.

Blaming the HSE and the government is just a silly cheap shot on your part.

remind me who is responsible for the HSE?
    The CEO! Dail committees can haul him in to explain. Kind of hard to blame the MoH for an event he didn't actually cause much as people love to get on that ultimate responsibility bandwagon.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Amazing to see a Sinn Fein follower defending the interests of private sector organisations who have destroyed lives and whose incompetence has resulted in the deaths of so many people.

The HSE didn't bring the virus into the nursing home, the staff or visitors did, and they did so under whatever protocols the owner and management put in place. The HSE didn't sit on their hands until 26 of the 28 residents were infected and then run crying for help to the outside.

It really looks like a situation where the owners, management and staff thought they could keep it hidden and under control and have now panicked when they lost control.

The Govt promised us they wouldn't allow something like this to happen again. They failed

I'd say FG will stay quiet on this and let Donnelly get ripped apart. Can't see him lasting another week

The CEO! Dail committees can haul him in to explain. Kind of hard to blame the MoH for an event he didn't actually cause much as people love to get on that ultimate responsibility bandwagon.

very easy to blame the MOH. he promised help for nursing homes and none has been forthcoming.

Minister Donnelly as Minister for Health should be on top of this, again he hasn't a clue

The Govt promised they had a plan and this would not happen again, it's happened

Govt at fault as well as HSE or HIQA
    Now I agree on Donnelly but the HSE and HIQA run their own things. The Dail and Dail committees are the ones who judge them. MoH just hires and fires people and writes the cheques.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Do we know that it's a private nursing home?

Also, what likely happened is infections started in the home, staff got it and couldnt work, now they are understaffed and have a massive number of sick people inside in the home. HSE or Dept of Health should have had some contingencies in place for when this happens - some staff to be redeployed to help covid stricken nursing homes at least

very easy to blame the MOH. he promised help for nursing homes and none has been forthcoming.
    I was promised things by Santa and I don't blame him for not delivering them!
    One can blame politicians for making large sweeping promises but they are not the ones who'll actually implement them.

timmyntc wrote: »
    Do we know that it's a private nursing home?

Also, what likely happened is infections started in the home, staff got it and couldnt work, now they are understaffed and have a massive number of sick people inside in the home. HSE or Dept of Health should have had some contingencies in place for when this happens - some staff to be redeployed to help covid stricken nursing homes at least

Not only should they have had, they promised us they would have contingencies in place

One can blame politicians for making large sweeping promises but they are not the ones who'll actually implement them.

Wow making jokes of it now, that's the FF/FG way

• Advertisement

so the person with the authority makes promises but should not be blamed when those promises are not fulfilled? what a world we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Modern medicine is a wonderful thing and it keeps us alive long after we're capable of looking after ourselves.There was always going to be some negative consequences for sticking our old people into institutions en masse. Covid in nursing homes is not unique to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Down home where one of my parents are in a nursing home, the staff are tested every week. Its a private nursing home.
    Did the staff not show any symptoms? What protocols were broken for this to happen?

Modern medicine is a wonderful thing and it keeps us alive long after we're capable of looking after ourselves.There was always going to be some negative consequences for sticking our old people into institutions en masse. Covid in nursing homes is not unique to Ireland.

it certainly isn't. the danger is well known. which makes it even worse that the HSE have no contingencies in place for it.

so the person with the authority makes promises but should not be blamed when those promises are not fulfilled? what a world we live in.
    Politicians promise, it's what they do. They may want to see it occur but they can't guarantee it will happen. The person with the authority is Paul Reid. Whether there are failings on the HSE/Govt side is not clear from a irate tweet but that doesn't mean the care home is blameless.

Politicians promise, it's what they do. They may want to see it occur but they can't guarantee it will happen. The person with the authority is Paul Reid. Whether there are failings on the HSE/Govt side is not clear from a irate tweet but that doesn't mean the care home is blameless.

the person with the authority is the minister.

Down home where one of my parents are in a nursing home, the staff are tested every week. Its a private nursing home.
    Did the staff not show any symptoms? What protocols were broken for this to happen?
    Yep and public ones are being done every two weeks. There are questions here for the care home itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,127 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The Govt promised us they wouldn't allow something like this to happen again. They failed

I'd say FG will stay quiet on this and let Donnelly get ripped apart. Can't see him lasting another week

The Government doesn't control everything that happens in a nursing home.

If there is an incompetent owner and management of a nursing home, while Sinn Fein will defend them, it is not the responsibility of anyone else.

The Government doesn't control everything that happens in a nursing home.

If there is an incompetent owner and management of a nursing home, while Sinn Fein will defend them, it is not the responsibility of anyone else.

the HSE was supposed to have contingencies in place for this scenario. that is in the control of the government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

the HSE was supposed to have contingencies in place for this scenario. that is in the control of the government.

But the HSE can't do 24/7 inspections either. A nursing home is responsible for itself at the end of the day.

Need the full facts to this story, how did it happen and why?

Advertisement