Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown

• 21-10-2020 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Outrageous who decided to close the golf courses.
    Golfers always keep a distance from each other, that way you won't golf club in the eye.
    I can't believe the GUI took this lying down. WIMPS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

It seems if you live within 5km of your golf club you can walk around the course for exercise but cannot swing a club. Makes perfect sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

It seems if you live within 5km of your golf club you can walk around the course for exercise but cannot swing a club. Makes perfect sense to me.

Well it does in a way

If you live 15km away you’d hardly be tempted to drive that far just for a walk On the course. But you’d certainly be tempted to travel for a game of golf

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Sent this

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

Yes but you need to understand that there are about 5 - 8 people trying to produce guidelines for millions of people and their hobbies at very short notice and against massive scrutiny. There simply isn't time to draft up guidelines for golf or tennis or rounders or basketball or running or skating or anything else which can wait for 6 weeks. It's not right but during a pandemic where hospitals are filling and people are dying, I don't think it's appropriate. It's not that they actively think golf is an issue, it's just about keeping things simple as opposed to massive lists of things which are allowed or not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

TP_CM wrote: »
    Yes but you need to understand that there are about 5 - 8 people trying to produce guidelines for millions of people and their hobbies at very short notice and against massive scrutiny. There simply isn't time to draft up guidelines for golf or tennis or rounders or basketball or running or skating or anything else which can wait for 6 weeks. It's not right but during a pandemic where hospitals are filling and people are dying, I don't think it's appropriate. It's not that they actively think golf is an issue, it's just about keeping things simple as opposed to massive lists of things which are allowed or not allowed.

So with that logic. Why are other sports
    allowed?? (Rightly so)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

They have had 7 months to get the country in order .
    Closing golf courses / gyms / hairdressers / barbers for a second time is a joke .
    The government keep going on about people's mental wellbeing especially during pandemic .
    The problems aren't golf courses / gyms / hairdressers ...
    Sort out where the issuses are and let people enjoy their golf / gym etc .
    It really is " dads army " running the show !!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

If it was open during the first lockdown, the only difference is golfgate dinner.

The far left cranks on twitter would be alleging conspiracy about special treatment for golfers or some such.

If it was open during the first lockdown, the only difference is golfgate dinner.

The far left cranks on twitter would be alleging conspiracy about special treatment for golfers or some such.

No I think personally they learned during first time that people won’t stick to the 5k limit. People travelling is the issue, maybe on way stopping in shop to get something. Interacting with workers etc

The playing side is fine. It’s the travel to and from and what goes with it is the problem I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Oireachtas golf society are finished up for the year so they had no incentive to keep the courses open.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I take it clubs are open up north?

Any opens on close to the border?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

benji79 wrote: »
    No I think personally they learned during first time that people won’t stick to the 5k limit. People travelling is the issue, maybe on way stopping in shop to get something. Interacting with workers etc

The playing side is fine. It’s the travel to and from and what goes with it is the problem I feel.

But going to the shop is allowed?

You can’t live too long without eating food. Technically you can live without playing golf

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

I would offer the opinion that a large number of the movers and shakers at government level are fair weather golfers and that they figured they could spend a good bit of time on the course through a nice pleasant sunny spring and early summer but would not be up for 18 holes on a wet cold afternoon in November
    Hence golf was thrown on the scrap heap

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    So with that logic. Why are other sports
    allowed?? (Rightly so)

Which other group sports are allowed? Genuine question. From the guidelines I have read, only individual sports are allowed unless you mean elite players (or kids)

They have had 7 months to get the country in order .
    Closing golf courses / gyms / hairdressers / barbers for a second time is a joke .
    The government keep going on about people's mental wellbeing especially during pandemic .
    The problems aren't golf courses / gyms / hairdressers ...
    Sort out where the issuses are and let people enjoy their golf / gym etc .
    It really is " dads army " running the show !!!!

If I gave you a full month I bet you wouldn't be able to get through everything included within your 'etc' there without people complaining about something not being considered. And then the attacks of how complex you've made it would be inevitable. The whataboutery would be a lot more than it is now I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

If I gave you a full month I bet you wouldn't be able to get through everything included within your 'etc' there without people complaining about something not being considered. And then the attacks of how complex you've made it would be inevitable. The whataboutery would be a lot more than it is now I think.

If I gave you 8 months and an army of civil servants and a whole sports ministry, a previous lockdown with all the feedback, and you told me you don't have the time, I'd demand you resign and never take a political post again

• Registered Users Posts: 21,091 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

As big a fan of golf as I am, being able to buy food is.probably slightly ahead of it as a priority.

If I gave you 8 months and an army of civil servants and a whole sports ministry, a previous lockdown with all the feedback, and you told me you don't have the time, I'd demand you resign and never take a political post again

You would demand they resign because they didn't have time to go through all the hobbies of Irish people during a pandemic, writing guidelines for each? Sorry, I am afraid you've lost me there. For me, 6 weeks is a short enough time for them to prioritise clarity over creating an encyclopaedia of hobbies in Ireland and what guidelines should exist for each. I am with you when it comes to golf. I'm not arguing it's a high risk sport in terms of coronavirus, I'm just saying that if their website had pages and pages of information it would create a lot more confusion and upset in the community. Unless of course you want things to be exactly the way they are now but with an exception made for golf only!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,367 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I’m an elite golfer so I should be allowed play.
    Well I think I am anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

I’m an elite golfer so I should be allowed play.
    Well I think I am anyway.

I won't dispute that. We're all elite golfers here I'll have you know!!

• Advertisement

You would demand they resign because they didn't have time to go through all the hobbies of Irish people during a pandemic, writing guidelines for each? Sorry, I am afraid you've lost me there. For me, 6 weeks is a short enough time for them to prioritise clarity over creating an encyclopaedia of hobbies in Ireland and what guidelines should exist for each. I am with you when it comes to golf. I'm not arguing it's a high risk sport in terms of coronavirus, I'm just saying that if their website had pages and pages of information it would create a lot more confusion and upset in the community. Unless of course you want things to be exactly the way they are now but with an exception made for golf only!

What hobbies? We are talking about a major industry in the country. I expect to have a grasp of every sport in the country, yes, its a Government department dedicated to sport. We aren't talking about 'hobbies', we are talking about zero planning from the Governments part after 8 months and we are talking about a Golf Union totally failing to have set the expectations month ago that should there be another lockdown that golf had no reason to be on it. Its called PR, they are a joke it's like they woke up yesterday and that was the extent of the campaign for their members and clubs, many will go to the wall because of their naivety and frankly because they are run by people who are friends with those in the Sports department and didn't want to

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

The first time round I’d give them the benefit of the doubt on what you said there

But this isn’t new or hardly surprising. It’s a testament to the shoddy nature many of our public services work. The contract tracing debacle that came to light in recent days is case and point

What hobbies? We are talking about a major industry in the country. I expect to have a grasp of every sport in the country, yes, its a Government department dedicated to sport. We aren't talking about 'hobbies', we are talking about zero planning from the Governments part after 8 months and we are talking about a Golf Union totally failing to have set the expectations month ago that should there be another lockdown that golf had no reason to be on it. Its called PR, they are a joke it's like they woke up Yesterday and that was the extent of the campaign for their members and clubs that many will go to the wall because of their naivety and frankly because they are run by people who are friends with those in the Sports department

Out of all the millions of people in the country, I wonder what proportion of them were even set on playing golf in November and December? Even if they did create guidelines for golf specifically, they would spend all their time in the press conferences answering silly questions about the guidelines. "If someone gets a new putter, can his mate who lives with him try it out on the green?".

Anyways, at the end of the day, I personally think clarity is more important than golf in the next 6 weeks and I really think any guidelines published for anything specific like golf would raise questions from the likes of knitting clubs, kite flying clubs or outdoor music session groups or god knows what. They would be inundated because those groups care as much about their pastimes as you do about yours.

likes of knitting clubs, kite flying clubs or outdoor music session groups or god knows what
    They can do what they like down the park. Down the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,812 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Which other group sports are allowed? Genuine question. From the guidelines I have read, only individual sports are allowed unless you mean elite players (or kids)

golf is as much an individual sport as you can get

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭jelutong

Technically the complete golf course would have to be within a 5 km radius of your home,not just the entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Doctor Bojangles

I’m a beginner myself, was hoping to get some practice in over the next few weeks.

Are there any good training aids? Particularly for the long game.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭jams100

Petition to reopen courses

http://chng.it/yMDz2MKwSJ

• Registered Users Posts: 12,945 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

jams100 wrote: »
    Petition to reopen courses

http://chng.it/yMDz2MKwSJ
    I think change.org is a waste of time personally. Just a method of collecting email addresses to spam them. I don't know anything that was actually changed as a result of a petition on change.org.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I think change.org is a waste of time personally. Just a method of collecting email addresses to spam them. I don't know anything that was actually changed as a result of a petition on change.org.

I tend to concur that they are largely a complete waste of time.

A similar one floating around for gyms with almost 50k signatures: https://www.change.org/p/irish-government-move-gyms-to-essential-services-for-the-mental-physical-wellbeing-of-the-irish-people

It certainly doesn't seem like a medium that will have the powers that be reconsider their decision.

Advertisement