Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms

• 21-10-2020 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

I know there's a fitness forum but I think this deserves its own thread here

Why are Gym's closed or closing,?
    Holohan yesterday on news at one said mass was stopped to avoid congregations and mixing of people
    In a gym at the minute, you book in for an hours slot,are at least 2 metres from the next person if anyone at all and your equipment is sanitised before and after use
    You leave alone

Where is the risk? Where is the congregation ?
    What is the logic ? Vs healthy exercise and a blow off for mental health doing your body good
    Not to mention if you're regularly going to a gym,you're also likely to be motivated to be eating healthier

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Nobotty wrote: »

Holohan yesterday on news at one said mass was stopped to avoid congregations and mixing of people
    In a gym at the minute, you book in for an hours slot,are at least 2 metres from the next person if anyone at all and your equipment is sanitised before and after use
    You leave alone

What is the logic ? Vs healthy exercise and a blow off for mental health doing your body good
    Not to mention if you're regularly meeting a gym,you're also likely to be motivated to be eating healthier

I'd imagine its because it where people sweat and breath heavy if someone has the virus there's is a huge chance of them passing it on ,

Even if there is only 6 people in an hour you could get It ,

Also you can exercise outside of a gym so they are not essential more convenient,

Id like the gyms to be open as much as anyone but its easy to see why they are not open ,

Don't let all the gym owner's making a movement to reopen them fool you there number one motivation is the cash there losing out on ,

If they really cared they would make there clients aware that they can still stay fit , burn off the calories and stress of the week without a gym

• Registered Users Posts: 11,248 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

No masks being worn where people are sweating and moving about I’d think.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Was in Ben Dunne Cherrywood this morning, the place is on two floors and absolutely cavernous, yet there were about 25 people max there... no concerns about social distancing, it was a natural occurrence

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Was in Ben Dunne Cherrywood this morning, the place is on two floors and absolutely cavernous, yet there were about 25 people max there... no concerns about social distancing, it was a natural occurrence

I suppose its one rule for all though.

Plenty of small, tight gyms around. It's a shame, I think there should be a proper booking system, or even split a gym into bubbles, weight section totally separate from cardio. You book into one section only for 1hr.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Just go for a run or a cycle, exercising is not dependent on Gyms!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

At this stage I have not read anything that indicates gyms pose a high risk.

I think its unfortunate they have been forced to close, especially because we should be encouraging people to stay fit and healthy during this time.

Id love to see them fight back. I think its a kick in the teeth to all businesses who invested heavily in setting out their premises to be as covid safe as possible. They were already down revenue due to reduced capacity and many operating at a loss.

There are 2 gyms within reasonable distance to my home, Both of whom have lost hundreds of memberships. I would be concerned they wont re open especially as we will be faced with closures again in the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KennisWhale

You leave alone

Not to mention if you're regularly going to a gym,you're also likely to be motivated to be eating healthier

There is no logic to it. The single biggest policy intervention should be education for people to protect themselves by keeping healthy. However, this is not part of any of the official yellow covid posters and looking at the NPHET and government, it is no wonder that looking after your own personal health is not their single biggest focus.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

You leave alone

It has become increasingly clear that there is aerosolised spread of Covid.

Hence, if you're indoors, being more than 2 metres away from someone isn't sufficient to prevent transmission (particularly when masks aren't being worn and the place isn't sufficiently well ventilated - most Irish buildings aren't).

Inquitus wrote: »

It's easy to say, but not so easy to do. Most people use gyms for weights, not cardio. Rare that anyone would have a useable weights setup at home. Classes and PT are gone too.

Short days, cold and wet weather would put most off going outside at the best of times.
    Amirani wrote: »

Hence, if you're indoors, being more than 2 metres away from someone isn't sufficient to prevent transmission (particularly when masks aren't being worn and the place isn't sufficiently well ventilated - most Irish buildings aren't).

These social distancing rules are only effective with short contact. You could be in a gym for an hour with other people, breathing heavily, condensation, AC recycling the air. Again, some gyms may be different and suitable, but its a blanket rule.

It's a balls! Gonna be a long winter.

Amirani wrote: »

The implication of that is that many multiples of the official recorded positives were actually infected over the last 8-12 months.

• Advertisement

There is no logic to it. The single biggest policy intervention should be education for people to protect themselves by keeping healthy. However, this is not part of any of the official yellow covid posters and looking at the NPHET and government, it is no wonder that looking after your own personal health is not their single biggest focus.

I I don't think your getting the point that they are NOT essential, As you can work out or keep fit without them , they are very convenient without question ,

The whole idea behind lockdown is to only go places that are essential ,
    If you can cut out contact of people then do it,
    A gym is one of these places you don't have to go to
    You can keep fit without a gym ,

I love the gym but i'm not sure how people don't understand the reasons they are closed,

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

I find both of those dreary and also my knees are done from running of the years and I have no cycle.

I use the gym to lift weights, it's my "thing" and anyone that has an exercise "thing" knows what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

It's just about minimising risk as much as possible. I think it's highly likely a coronavirus case came from a gym somewhere. So we have to close the gyms and remove the cases. It's not exactly ideal or maybe proportional but such is the nature of decisions during a pandemic. Closing a gym for 6 weeks isn't going to change anyone's life after that. By the way we're not facing another 6 weeks of lockdown because 90 per cent of people are breaking rules. We're locking down because 10 per cent of people are not abiding by the rules. This applies to people in gyms, restaurants, pubs, or anywhere else people congregate. We have to remember that actually most people are being responsible. Again the few are ruining things for the many.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,196 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Am a member there myself, all very well run and everyone wiping down equipment after themselves

I I don't think your getting the point that they are NOT essential, As you can work out or keep fit without them , they are very convenient without question ,

The whole idea behind lockdown is to only go places that are essential ,
    If you can cut out contact of people then do it,
    A gym is one of these places you don't have to go to
    You can keep fit without a gym ,

I love the gym but i'm not sure how people don't understand the reasons they are closed,

People going to the gym are going to be effectively immune to it, particularly given their age profile but especially when combined with a healthy lifestyle. Assuming other measures are in place like social distancing, closed bars, restrictions on gatherings etc. it is a low risk activity to permit.

For example, the schools are remaining open, not for some BS about how important children's education is; but because covid is of negligible (i.e. effectively zero) concern to those of school going age. A similar risk-based approach should apply to gyms.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I
    You leave alone

Ya know, Mass at the moment is much the same: bookings, 45 minute slots, and households leave alone. In cavernous, drafty old buildings.

I find both of those dreary and also my knees are done from running of the years and I have no cycle.

I use the gym to lift weights, it's my "thing" and anyone that has an exercise "thing" knows what I mean.

It is also my "thing " I'm in several different type of gyms in one week but again its hardly a reason in these time to keep something open ,

Some peoples "thing " is a few pints or a nice meal ,

Its to stop non essential contact with other people, As much as I don't like it I can understand it ,

People going to the gym are going to be effectively immune to it, particularly given their age profile but especially when combined with a healthy lifestyle. Assuming other measures are in place like social distancing, closed bars, restrictions on gatherings etc. it is a low risk activity to permit.

For example, the schools are remaining open, not for some but because covid is of negligible (i.e. effectively zero) concern to those of school going age. A similar risk-based approach should apply to gyms.

People of all ages use gyms also people with aliments ,

"BS about how important children's education is "

Not sure if your serious but education is one of the important parts of society , I will say exercise is two but you can get that out of a gym

Again I wish the gyms where open but can understand the thinking ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

People going to the gym are going to be effectively immune to it, particularly given their age profile but especially when combined with a healthy lifestyle.........

Hahahahaha, absolutely cretinous

Dr. Dre wrote: »
    Hahahahaha, absolutely cretinous

Back to your basement.

• Advertisement

People going to the gym are going to be effectively immune to it, particularly given their age profile but especially when combined with a healthy lifestyle..

Absolute fiction of the highest order and very dangerous if some people actually think this also.

People of all ages use gyms also people with aliments ,

"BS about how important children's education is "

Not sure if your serious but education is one of the important parts of society , I will say exercise is two but you can get that out of a gym

Again I wish the gyms where open but can understand the thinking ,

I agree on education which is why schools should never have been closed and the LC cancelled. This is why I don't buy it now that somehow schools are okay to stay open. I feel it is a sensical risk based approach and feel gyms should fit into a similar risk based approach to what is and isn't acceptable.

Absolute fiction of the highest order and very dangerous if some people actually think this also.

Tell me how the virus is harmful to those under the age of 65 in general and, in particular, those without underlying illnesses under 65.

I'll wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

This is a typical response I always get from people who don’t train.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Why?

Maybe it is so people can take time out to learn how to correctly use an apostrophe...:mad:

Tell me how the virus is harmful to those under the age of 65 in general and, in particular, those without underlying illnesses under 65.

I'll wait.

Plenty of under 65's have COVID and are out of action for weeks at a time. The long term health impacts of COVID are not fully known, but there's some evidence that it's not good. Reduced lung function, scarring etc. Also, plenty of under 65's have contact with over 65's, and, since the point of lockdown is to reduce social contact, having gyms open flies in the face of that.

I get what you're saying about schools.
    I'm very skeptical of how it's ok to have 30-35 fifteen to seventeen year olds in the same room for 40 hours a week, yet a similar size gathering outside school is demonized.

Simply saying "young people go to the gym, young people are unaffected" is simplistic and wrong. Plenty of auld lads and ladies go to gyms too. More now the weather has turned.

I agree on education which is why schools should never have been closed and the LC cancelled. This is why I don't buy it now that somehow schools are okay to stay open. I feel it is a sensical risk based approach and feel gyms should fit into a similar risk based approach to what is and isn't acceptable.

Education is essential unfortunately lifting weights is not ,
    You can keep fit by going for a walk or running or doing circuits outside, Its not ideal but you can do it ,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

No. It is a pretty accurate and generally held view backed by the hard figures and science. Please note the word 'generally' as of course there are exceptions.

If you are fit and healthy and under 65 you are highly unlikely to be badly affected by C19.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Education is essential unfortunately lifting weights is not ,
    You can keep fit by going for a walk or running or doing circuits outside, Its not ideal but you can do it ,

Exactly, see a tree branch do some chin ups, go for a swim in the local river, start lifting heavy rocks from one place to another. Lots of ways to exercise without a gym

• Advertisement

This is a typical response I always get from people who don’t train.

Who don't train ?

Ye because no one has ever ran or cycled as training ,

Look lifting weights is great but its non essential , you can exercise without weights ,

Advertisement