Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hummer EV unveiled

• 21-10-2020 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Holy god....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

Wow.
    Is there a car parking space in the country that it'll fit into?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

0-60 in 2.8 seconds

WHY

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Why not?

Looks like a better, more practical vehicle than the Cybertruck, albeit more expensive.

That said, it doesn’t look that huge, but I’m saying that as someone who has spent many, many hours inside actual HMMWVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Looks amazing and 500km range is spot on. 100k price tag is a bit beyond me currently....

Maybe the EU will provide a grant subsidy scheme...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Crab walk looks deadly but mad to think my 2001 Manitou telehandler has that as standard and its new to off road cruisers now . In balance 2020 telehandlers are only getting electric windows now :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

LOL, the car animation is superb, if the car is as good as the ad then result.
    Poor ole Rivian

• Registered Users Posts: 23,241 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Why not?

Looks like a better, more practical vehicle than the Cybertruck, albeit more expensive.

Practical ? You may want to look up that definition.

I like it yeah. But it’s at yo big to be considered practical

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Existing Hummer drivers *confused screaming* :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kaahooters

really poor cgi, i think the only real shots of it are when the roof comes off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

ted1 wrote: »

Perfectly practical and not too big for target audience, as a frequent US visitor I still gasp as the size of their SUVs, the Yukon XL is just jinormous

• Registered Users Posts: 23,241 ✭✭✭✭ted1

slave1 wrote: »
    Perfectly practical and not too big for target audience, as a frequent US visitor I still gasp as the size of their SUVs, the Yukon XL is just jinormous

I had a Yukon XL as a rental for a few weeks. A big piece of sh1t, real plastic inside. Over sized engine because they can’t tune them. My previous rental was w Suzuki jimny

Still not a practical vehicle for the road

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's probably not going to be sold here directly so that will make it difficult to buy. The price tag will be higher here too, as a $69k model S retails at €82k here. So the $80k will probably be €105k. Model X Performance money

I had a Yukon XL as a rental for a few weeks. A big piece of sh1t, real plastic inside. Over sized engine because they can’t tune them. My previous rental was w Suzuki jimny

Still not a practical vehicle for the road
    OT but those days are long gone. The engines need to be as large to handle the sheer bulk and poor CD.

If you want to talk oversized but underpowered engines I've had a few that actually met that. An '85 Chevy Suburban 2500, last of the carbed big block v8s. 7.4 litres with under 200hp. Same in my '89 F250 diesel. 7.3 litres, no turbo, and 160hp.

Nowadays they have 350-400+ hp in the same vehicles with less displacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

"Transparent sky panels".

It's got a sunroof then. :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Hang on there folks. Just gotta clean the lense on the underbody cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

It's basically a warthog from the halo games

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

https://youtu.be/LkM0L4_W_pM

Lots more detail. Seems so concept like, but apparently it's the real deal

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I live in central Texas. I don't think the vehicle was designed to be driven down Irish back lanes, but more likely the wide streets and open country of places like where I am. With that in mind, and thinking of what people around here use trucks for, yes, if you're in the market for that sort of vehicle, it has merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

A bit of info

The 3 second 0-60 launch requires you to put it in a special Watts To Freedom mode. Yes, WTF mode. Can't remember if the 212.7 kWh battery was mentioned in the videos before. He spent a day driving it and averaged 1.1 miles/kWh (56.5 kWh/100 km).

As for charging, it's got a DC trick to help fill the battery faster. Not sure if it's been done elsewhere? "Fast-charging is available via the industry-standard CCS port. Here, an Ultium party trick comes into play. Although the powertrain and battery run at 400 V, if you connect the Hummer EV to a 350 kW DC fast charger, the battery switches from a parallel to a series configuration, allowing it to charge at 800 V." I'm no electrician, so I don't know how much of that is PR BS or real.

As for home charging, 20-100%, a 7.7kW charge takes 24 hours. 16 if you can get 11kW. They don't quote their 120V domestic sockets, but the article reckons about a week.

• Advertisement

I'll say the same here as I say in the Rivian thread. Bring it here ffs! one of the few vehicles I'd have over a Tesla.

Advertisement