Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Level 5 Restrictions - Q & A Megathread

• 20-10-2020 5:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

Am I the only one who doesn't understand why Weddings are being given such special treatment?
    If I were cynical, I would suggest that there is an upcoming wedding connected to a high-level politician?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Water2626262

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Am I the only one who doesn't understand why Weddings are being given such special treatment?
    If I were cynical, I would suggest that there is an upcoming wedding connected to a high-level politician?

I reckon it’s because nobody would abide by the 6 person max rule so why try and enforce it. At least 25 is somewhat reasonable and something people would stick to. Likelihood is just close family who probably are all isolating anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

I reckon it’s because nobody would abide by the 6 person max rule so why try and enforce it. At least 25 is somewhat reasonable and something people would stick to. Likelihood is just close family who probably are all isolating anyway.

Then why only 10 for funerals, its the same setting etc.? (I am assuming they mean the service and not a reception)

Just stands out as an oddity IMO...

A funeral involes one deceased, so the 10 may cover their immediate family, while the 25 for a wedding covers the couple, the person marrying them and the 2 immediate families.

Edit to add: For funerals, I assume people can still be outside the church, and go to the graveyard? Similar to what was being done during phase 1.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I think it's an absolute disgrace that 25 can attend a wedding and only 10 can attend a funeral. And I say this as someone who has postponed their 2020 wedding.

There seems to be some hype around it, so hopefully they'll change the rule and up the numbers for funerals. As heartbreaking and unbelievably stressful as it is to postpone a wedding, you can't postpone a funeral and allowing the appropriate rituals to take place is incredibly important for the grieving process.

Luckily they came to their senses pretty quickly:

Cabinet agrees to allow 25 mourners attend funerals during Level 5
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1020/1172618-cabinet-level-5-measures/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Bridezilla's are scary

I am relieved the numbers were increased for attending a funeral. I had a family bereavement in August, and it meant a lot to have the guard of honour from the community outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Weddings should all be cancelled. They are not essential in any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭DopeTech

So we can now travel 5km from our home but do we have to stay inside our own county?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,838 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

No mention of counties at all:

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/66269-ireland-placed-on-level-5-of-the-plan-for-living-with-covid/

So the 5km rule doesn't prohibit you from crossing a country boundary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

As far as I can tell there is nothing to say you cannot cross a county line for exercise as long as you are within 5k from home

• Registered Users Posts: 30 greenerie

schmoo2k wrote: »

Hotels have lobby groups. Funeral directors don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Thanks, I just wasn't sure since they change the rules so often!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭New2Dubs

Anyone know if they’ll stay open? I’ve an appt on 6 Nov to transfer UK licence to Irish licence before the end of year. Concerned restrictions will drag on & Ill have to re-do my test.
    Tried to book a back up appt for December, but website won’t allow.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged with a spanking new title

• Registered Users Posts: 32,803 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Are you now expected to visit your closest supermarket for shopping?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Sandz066

NIMAN wrote: »
    Are you now expected to visit your closest supermarket for shopping?

Yes, spirit of the guidelines as always is to minimise the distance you travel thereby minimising the no. of people you come into contact with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Does every one attending said wedding or funeral have to live within 5k?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

New2Dubs wrote: »
    Anyone know if they’ll stay open? I’ve an appt on 6 Nov to transfer UK licence to Irish licence before the end of year. Concerned restrictions will drag on & Ill have to re-do my test.
    Tried to book a back up appt for December, but website won’t allow.

I have an appt for late Nov as my Licence expires in late December.
    The NDLS website is not updated yet to reflect Level 5. Tried to contact the phone number on the website but doesn't appear to be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Hi, would my 6y.o. daughter hitching a ride to school by car with the parents of her classmate be considered a breach of L5 guidelines?
    Theoretically, given that the kids are in class together, there is already a degree of indirect contact between our 2 families...

What if we hire somebody to do the school run for us by car? Would that fall under "childcare-related" services and so excepted from L5 restrictions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Have I got this right: If somebody fancies a trip down the country to a holiday home in Dingle, Donegal, or Clare, and gets stopped by the guards, all you has to do is say you're visiting a grave and you'll avoid the €500 fine?

That's one mental loophole.

Does every one attending said wedding or funeral have to live within 5k?

No. Attending a wedding or funeral is listed as one of the exceptions for traveling outside your 5km.

Source: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/?referrer=http://www.gov.ie/level5/#domestic-travel-restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 32,803 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sandz066 wrote: »
    Yes, spirit of the guidelines as always is to minimise the distance you travel thereby minimising the no. of people you come into contact with.

Agree that the spirit of it should keep you to your local supermarket, but in the wording you can go to any supermarket.

It says you can travel outside of your 5km for food shopping.

I would guess if a guard stopped you and you said you were heading to a different town cos they have an Aldi or Lidl, they are likely to advise you to shop in the closest supermarket to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,388 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

woodchuck wrote: »
    No. Attending a wedding or funeral is listed as one of the exceptions for traveling outside your 5km.
    Source: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/?referrer=http://www.gov.ie/level5/#domestic-travel-restrictions

Although I spot a potential accomodation issue if you live far away from the wedding...
    Hotels, guesthouses and B&Bs may remain open, but only to support provision of essential services.

A wedding isn't an essential service, although it is a valid reason to travel > 5kms.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dmakc

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Have I got this right: If somebody fancies a trip down the country to a holiday home in Dingle, Donegal, or Clare, and gets stopped by the guards, all you has to do is say you're visiting a grave and you'll avoid the €500 fine?

That's one mental loophole.

True but you're overestimating the intelligence of the Irish population. We have people here querying if they have to starve within their 5km. Putting it out on the news without the fine print is where this will work

NIMAN wrote: »
    I would guess if a guard stopped you and you said you were heading to a different town cos they have an Aldi or Lidl, they are likely to advise you to shop in the closest supermarket to you.

If your closest supermarket is significantly smaller and/or more expensive than the supermarket you're travelling to, I think it should be find to travel further.

For example, if there's an M&S within 5km and a Lidl 10km away, I don't think people will be expected to do their weekly shop in M&S for 6 weeks :rolleyes:

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Although I spot a potential accomodation issue if you live far away from the wedding...
    Hotels, guesthouses and B&Bs may remain open, but only to support provision of essential services.

A wedding isn't an essential service, although it is a valid reason to travel > 5kms.

The restrictions are literally riddled with issues when it comes to weddings. It hasn't been thought through at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

SusanC10 wrote: »
    I have an appt for late Nov as my Licence expires in late December.
    The NDLS website is not updated yet to reflect Level 5. Tried to contact the phone number on the website but doesn't appear to be working.

Site updated now. Anyone with appointments all OK.

https://www.ndls.ie/
    NDLS centres nationwide will remain open and all those with booked appointments can continue to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭vafankillar

Anyone have any idea if dublin bus will likely change time table to saturday again? I really hope not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

Hi all,

My work is closing after today due to level 5. I will have worked 13 hours this week so far, whereas I was originally rostered to work for 29 hours this week. My company has told us to not sign on for the PUP as they will continue to pay us an average of our wages over the past few months every week. However, we’ve been told that next week we are only going to get paid for the hours we worked this week (so 13 for me).

Because of level five, I’m losing out on around 16 hours this week. Am I entitled to apply for PUP or the wage subsidy scheme this week?

Advertisement