Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is it so complicated to daily find out the ages of those who passed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    And if they had underlying symptoms etc

The HSPC site is like the old Revenue website where they purposely made it complicated for the average Joe to figure out

What ages were those who passed away today for example?

It's "somewhere" in here? https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/casesinireland/epidemiologyofcovid-19inireland/COVID-19_Daily_epidemiology_report_(NPHET)_20201019%20_Website.pdf

The ages should be given daily in the main Gov.ie daily press releases and we shouldn't have to jump into complicated PDFs like this where you've no idea where the info is unless you know the website HSPC inside out

Nothing should be given daily if you ask me. Weekly would suffice, even monthly. It’s just feeding into everybody’s anxieties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

L'prof wrote: »
    It’s just feeding into everybody’s anxieties

No, what feeds into people's anxieties is headlines like today with no ages given and no information on if they had underlying symptoms

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

Can't say for today, but from the last two reports (Page 11):
    Change from midnight 14th to midnight 17th

tmfBjJ1.png

65-74: 2
    75-85: 4
    85+: 5

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Stewball

L'prof wrote: »
    Nothing should be given daily if you ask me. Weekly would suffice, even monthly. It’s just feeding into everybody’s anxieties

Yeah, censorship is the way to go in case some people's feelings are hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Because they don't want us knowing that they are all 70+ and had underlying conditions. They want us afraid, they want us thinking that you, I, our brother, mother, sister, father could all drop dead tonorrow if we catch it tomorrow. Rule by fear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Stewball

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Because they don't want us knowing that they are all 70+ and had underlying conditions.

Is a life worth less if the person is 70+ and has underlying conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Because they don't want us knowing that they are all 70+ and had underlying conditions. They want us afraid, they want us thinking that you, I, our brother, mother, sister, father could all drop dead tonorrow if we catch it tomorrow. Rule by fear.

If I had of read the above not so long ago I’d have been thinking tinfoil hat, conspiracy theory etc etc, Now I’m not so sure! Information is definitely being treated and released strategically.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Stewball wrote: »

No it's not, but let's protect the vulnerable, safeguard them, and let the rest of us get back to normality. We can't go in and out of lockdown forever.

Let's flip your question, is a few hundred lives of those 70+ worth more than our economy, more than the lives of over 4 million citizens who are being turned upside down, movements restricted, many battling mental health issues etc etc etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I'd love to know why it's so complicated to get the numbers right. The total cases has been rised down by 80 this month alone which is ridiculous. Surely after all these months and with all the resources put into it they would be able to get this right. Also to be denotifying deaths is nonsense, just wait until you have confirmation before putting a death down to Covid. This info is too important to be constantly revising published figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

No it's not, but let's protect the vulnerable, safeguard them, and let the rest of us get back to normality. We can't go in and out of lockdown forever.

Let's flip your question, is a few hundred lives of those 70+ worth more than our economy, more than the lives of over 4 million citizens who are being turned upside down, movements restricted, many battling mental health issues etc etc etc?

Or flip it again, were the 60 flu deaths last year not as worthy as covid deaths to call a lockdown?

Those lives could have been saved.

• Advertisement

They asked Glynn about this already and he said he didn’t want to give out the information because it might send out the wrong message.

He also said median age of deaths was late 80s.

Yes of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I've repeatedly asked this question whenever I read 'protect the vulnerable ': what do you mean by that? And what are YOU doing to protect them?

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    The total cases has been rised down by 80 this month alone which is ridiculous.

80 cases were de notified? :confused:

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I've repeatedly asked this question whenever I read 'protect the vulnerable ': what do you mean by that? And what are YOU doing to protect them?

Tell them to stay home.
    Paying taxes so they have a pension and access to healthcare.

Yeah, censorship is the way to go in case some people's feelings are hurt.

I think they're well aware of how sociable and rebellious Irish people can be and they also know how much they've lost the public with all their missteps since April

So if they said, almost daily, "All who passed today were over 80" they know damn well the uproar there'd be

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Tell them to stay home.
    Paying taxes so they have a pension and access to healthcare.

Ah OK. What about access to food? Medication? Hygiene? Exercise? You understand that those products icing those things for vulnerable groups have to be protected too? How do you propose that works?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Would have thought it was quite straightforward. Providing an age and in particular adding underlying conditions could easily identify an individual. Would you really like to find out someone you are close to has died from the daily HPSC stats?

Beasty wrote: »
    Providing an age and in particular adding underlying conditions could easily identify an individual.

Out of 5 million people? :rolleyes:

Whatever about them not providing underlying conditions, the ages should 100% be given to us without having to dig deep into the HSPC site

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Out of 5 million people? :rolleyes:

Whatever about them not providing underlying conditions, the ages should 100% be given to us without having to dig deep into the HSPC site

How many in the country are, say, 98? You know your 98 year old grannie has been ill for a few days. You then read a 98 year old has died from Covid-19. You draw your own conclusions, which may or may not be correct. Regardless they are not going to provide any info which encourages anyone to put two and two together

Then what is the use of that info even if they provide it? More ammo for scaremongers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

This 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Joke alright

When someone under 35 dies again you can be sure as the sun will rise tomorrow it will be all over RTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

If I had of read the above not so long ago I’d have been thinking tinfoil hat, conspiracy theory etc etc, Now I’m not so sure! Information is definitely being treated and released strategically.

Exactly

I would have thought the same

Eye opening times now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,206 ✭✭✭✭fits

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Joke alright

When someone under 35 dies again you can be sure as the sun will rise tomorrow it will be all over RTE

No it won’t. Someone fitting that description has died of Covid in the last week. Why should they be sprawled over the media for people to question the cause of death.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,206 ✭✭✭✭fits

Also this obsession with the underlying conditions is crazy as if those deaths are somehow lesser.

I think what that’s really about is that people Want to think well, it won’t happen to me so it doesn’t count.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Perhaps its to do with a resurgence in nursing homes. They ****ed up in March / April, have they put in adequate controls since then or were they too focused on €9 Pizzas?

13 deaths announced today, if they were in the last 24 hours, most were not in ICU based on the ICU admissions, discharges and running total in ICU. It suggests that they weren't suitable candidates for ICU.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    if they were in the last 24 hours, most were not in ICU based on the ICU admissions, discharges and running total in ICU. It suggests that they weren't suitable candidates for ICU.

Interesting

Laura on Reddit Ireland has said she'll do monthly breakdowns of those who passed. The first one around November 1st

I think Spookwoman posts data on here with the ages somewhere in there too. But again, I find it's hard to decipher those charts

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Beasty wrote: »
    Would have thought it was quite straightforward. Providing an age and in particular adding underlying conditions could easily identify an individual. Would you really like to find out someone you are close to has died from the daily HPSC stats?

Thank you for this; I posted something very similar in another thread.

Families need privacy and space to mourn their lost loved ones. Shocked that anyone even questions that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Ah OK. What about access to food? Medication? Hygiene? Exercise? You understand that those products icing those things for vulnerable groups have to be protected too? How do you propose that works?

Thank you

It can be done with help from shops and from the excellent community services that have been set up.

And the huge issue for most in isolation is just that; isolation. I am used to being alone as I have been in isolation due to immune issues for a long while and am a natural loner

But many of our old folk need human company to survive.

Maybe the folk advocating this will act in kindness and visit someone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,904 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can NPHET not be asked this simple question daily?

For example yesterday we had 13 deaths.

What would be wrong with asking "Dr Holohan, how many of these people died due to CV19". Where there any terminally ill cancer patients among the 13? Where there any RTAs among the 13? Where there any heart attacks/strokes etc among the 13?"

Advertisement