Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

use of a club crest for merchandise

Options
  • 19-10-2020 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭

i am dealing with transition year students and they have a business idea to market some products targeted at gaa fans. i am researching if there is any copyright issues with using club crests. has anyone coma across this before? they will be targeting local clubs (not countys) and i am sure that if we ask each individual club they will be ok but would like to do some background research first

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,349 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

duffysfarm wrote: »
    i am dealing with transition year students and they have a business idea to market some products targeted at gaa fans. i am researching if there is any copyright issues with using club crests. has anyone coma across this before? they will be targeting local clubs (not countys) and i am sure that if we ask each individual club they will be ok but would like to do some background research first

Copyright or not the easy and polite thing to do would just be to ask the clubs you involve. If it's for school kids I'm sure they will say yes

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

thanks for rephrasing what i said in my original post................
    breezy1985 wrote: »
    Copyright or not the easy and polite thing to do would just be to ask the clubs you involve. If it's for school kids I'm sure they will say yes

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭poppers

duffysfarm wrote: »

Id say that the clubs own the crest and can decide what they go in. If not then any group could stick a club crest on any publication to give the impression that the local gaa club supports their stance.
    Doubt they would object to local school studens as the club members are going to be the students.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Any proper company you’re dealing with will look for proof that you have permission to use crest. Especially if something will be sold. Usually a letter on headed club paper from club secretary would be enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

OP, you've actually answered your own question in your opening post. All you need to do is seek permission of each of the local clubs involved. There's no central "club crest copyright repository" in Croke Park or with County Boards or anything like that, that you'd have to consult with too.

Highly unlikely (in my experience anyway) that any club would object to their crest being used in a Transition Year project. We get such requests around this time in every year in my own club, and never have a problem with it. In fact, I've got a water bottle, a clock, and a boot bag myself, all produced by different TY students over the past few years, and all with the club's permission.

Something "properly" commercial would be a different story, but for TY students, there should be no issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement