Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Phone that I can use with Vodafone Voice Over Broadband

• 26-08-2020 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

So, my mother has just got fibre broadband and voice over broadband phoneline, can anyone tell me what kind of phone we can use? It says DECT phones on the Vodafone website but my mother hates cordless phones so we need to find a corded one that we can use with the voice over broadband system.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Toxica wrote: »
    So, my mother has just got fibre broadband and voice over broadband phoneline, can anyone tell me what kind of phone we can use? It says DECT phones on the Vodafone website but my mother hates cordless phones so we need to find a corded one that we can use with the voice over broadband system.

Any phone that plugs into the back of the modem will work. Plug the dect base station in and away you go (assuming that the modem came pre configured)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Toxica wrote: »

Any plain old phone will do, as the router should provide a socket to plug it in.

Some routers have their own DECT bas station built in (FritZ!Box for instance) to which cordless phones can register.
    An existing DECT setup could be plugged into the phone socket in the router should its re-use be required.

So, in short, the old phones that were used on the previous phone system can be used when plugged into the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

Same question here. Fibre just became available in this area. My 85 year-old neighbour was first to take the plunge and had it installed this morning from Vodafone. She didn't realize that it would be VoIP.

She has three immediate issues:

New phone number -- Old copper line still in place for phone (was already with Vodafone), but has been given a new number for the new service. She has already contacted the local Vodafone shop and they assure her the number will be ported in a few days so she can keep her old number.

Phone set -- The tech said she should go out and buy a new phone set to work with VoIP. Is this necessary? Currently, she has a modern(ish) phone in the hall with cordless handset. Corded phone in kitchen, corded phone in one bedroom and alarm phone in her own bedroom.

Monitored Personal Alarm -- The final issue is that phone that works as a personal alarm from Tunstall. She had a wrist fob that connects to that in case she needs help. Tech who installed fibre had not been told that she had a personal alarm, said it might just work but he wasn't sure. She has been back to shop to check on that (fair go in her for an 85yo!) ... but anyone any experience with using one of those phones on VoIP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

No you don't need a VOIP phone. They won't give out the login details required to use a VOIP phone so it wouldn't work anyway.

Check that the existing PSTN line with the 'old' number is still working and that all existing phones work to ensure that none of the existing wiring was disconnected by the installer.

If the VOIP line is live then plug a phone into the modem phone port to check for dial tone.

If PSTN line is still active then ask VF to ensure the incoming line is physically disconnected (# see note below) after number is moved to VOIP because you need to connect the existing internal phone wiring to the VOIP line via the modem phone port. If the old PSTN line remains connected and live then it could damage the modem phone port.

Don't know about the panic alarm, if the VOIP line is active now then contact the alarm provider to do a test on the equipment with the alarm unit plugged into the modem phone port. Chances are it will work with VOIP

# Note: HOWEVER, if there's a power outage, the modem loses power and there's no VOIP so that's where there could be a problem with the panic alarm...check with the alarm provider...the PSTN line may need to be retained for the panic alarm to work at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

Thank you very much Ten Pin.

That is true that the panic alarm won't work if there's a power outage.

I went to her house yesterday and plugged in a phone into the modem phone port and there was no dial tone. So maybe it doesn't go live until they disconnect the PSTN line?

But there were only two lights on her modem - Power and Wifi. The internet light was not on and while her mobile was connected to the new service, she couldn't make or receive Whatsapp calls/chats. She uses Whatsapp a lot to stay in touch with three of her children who live abroad. I turned off that connection so she's back to using her mobile data.

As for the phone, the tech advised her to get a new set. I was probably wrong to call them VoIP phones, but that's what she said tech told her. He was just aware that her three existing phones were all connected separately to old copper wiring and she would only be able to connect one directly to the new modem. She got a set of Panasonic phones yesterday (one base unit and two extra handsets). She can use those even if she has to keep using the old PSTN.

So she's in a bit of mess now. I have ordered fibre myself to be installed this week. I think it will probably be the same tech from KN so hopefully he can go back to my neighbour and sort her out. Or else they might just return her to where she started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭swoofer

well did you fibre installed and was neighbour sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭wishbone

swoofer wrote: »
    well did you fibre installed and was neighbour sorted.
    Yes I'm curious as I moved from Eir to Vodafone and previously used a regular phone and not VOIP. Now I have broadband working fine but VOIP is not working. The Phone light blinks randomly - I've been waiting for almost 3 weeks to get it sorted....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Same here. Joined Vodafone fibre in December. Can't get our old number back until we get a VOIP enabled phone. The handset we have is an Eir supplied handset from ~2013. Been around every kind of home electrical shop and none can help. Tried a brand new cordless phone last week ans still no joy and no one can give me a make and model of a phone that will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

That's not true - the Vodafone router handles the VOIP connection and you should just be able to plug in a regular corded/cordless phone that has a RJ-11 plug attached.

Advertisement