Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GAA pull plug on clubs operating Drive-in Bingo

• 16-10-2020 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Directive out tonight from HQ , clubs operating drive-in bingo told to stop .

Some local clubs near me have been running this since the Covid-19 outbreak .
    Great money spinner , one club here has made over €75,000 profit in 16 weeks , others struggled to break even .

Wasn't a big issue if players stayed in their cars but they were all out walking around for an hour before it started , queueing for coffee van and toilets , smoking huddles everywhere , no social - distancing , same crack at the interval.

Looks like it's a non-runner now until a vaccine is found .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Great money spinner , one club here has made over €75,000 profit in 16 weeks , others struggled to break even .

Wasn't a big issue if players stayed in their cars but they were all out walking around for an hour before it started , queueing for coffee van and toilets , smoking huddles everywhere , no social - distancing , same crack at the interval.

Move it online
    Our local club has done this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Move it online
    Our local club has done this

Online bingo, any links to how that works??

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Murphy14

Really can’t understand the logic from HQ calling a halt to drive in Bingo yet it’s ok for inter county teams to cris cross the country. Apart from the financial benefit for clubs the bingo gives people in the community an opportunity to get out in a safe environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Murphy14 wrote: »
    Really can’t understand the logic from HQ calling a halt to drive in Bingo yet it’s ok for inter county teams to cris cross the country. Apart from the financial benefit for clubs the bingo gives people in the community an opportunity to get out in a safe environment.

But as outlined in the OP it is not a safe environment

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Do you have a link to the directive OP ?

I'm on the executive of a club that is running one of these and we have not heard boo from HQ that they are now banned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭blowitupref

What was the issue on people sitting in their own cars playing bingo, People travelling into a different county or carpooling?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lucalux

What was the issue on people sitting in their own cars playing bingo, People travelling into a different county or carpooling?

That, I presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭blowitupref

lucalux wrote: »

That, I presume?

Some of the bingos I know of had stopped selling coffee, no toilet breaks or intervals. People stayed in their cars throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Do you have a link to the directive OP ?

I'm on the executive of a club that is running one of these and we have not heard boo from HQ that they are now banned

I don't have a link .

The directive was issued yesterday by email I believe .
    All clubs around here have put up notices to that effect and one in particular is going ahead as planned this evening saying this is their final one as the ban comes into operation from midnight .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lucalux

Some of the bingos I know of had stopped selling coffee, no toilet breaks or intervals. People stayed in their cars throughout.

That sounds a lot smarter than whats described above. How people think ignoring the basics is going to help their fundraising is a bit beyond me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

• Registered Users Posts: 24,769 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Murphy14 wrote: »

It’s a safe environment only if people adhere to restrictions while there. From what the op says, they haven’t been. So then it needs to be knocked on the head. If the hierarchy though are not enforcing it they just won’t be knocking it most likely. No surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

The reason why the bingo were stopped was because we have gone from two to three restrictions.

Advertisement