Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is the definition of a "Front Line Worker"?

• 16-10-2020 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭

Clearly all those working in hospitals, clinics, surgery's dealing with those that are ill or presenting with symptoms are "front line workers" have, and always will be.

But, what is a front line worker outside of this now? Is it still retail staff which have massive amounts of protective equipment between them and consumer?

What is a front line worker at this stage? A barber and a teacher are as much "front line working" at this stage if we are to stay open and listen to and believe the level of danger that we are being warned about.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Clearly all those working in hospitals, clinics, surgery's dealing with those that are ill or presenting with symptoms are "front line workers" have, and always will be.

But, what is a front line worker outside of this now? Is it still retail staff which have massive amounts of protective equipment between them and consumer?

What is a front line worker at this stage? A barber and a teacher are as much "front line working" at this stage if we are to stay open and listen to and believe the level of danger that we are being warned about.

I'm not a front line worker but I'm glad they keep turning up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Vestiapx wrote: »
    I'm not a front line worker but I'm glad they keep turning up.

Thanks for clearing that up, and a very appropriate response to the question I asked.

Any vocation that involves dealing with members of the public could be construed as "front line", just a theory mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Anyone basically not in an office or behind a computer....

Its basically anyone that is dealing face to face with the public.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Anyone who goes to work and deals with the public face to face during the pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

I would define this very narrow: anyone that needs to deal with the ill and without whom it would not function. Only medical workforce in other words.

That does not mean there are no other important functions, like supermarket employees to name one, but if push come to shove these functions can be done without.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

Front line is a military term, to do with fighting an enemy. In this war, people are the enemy, so anyone dealing with people (in person) as the main part of their job would be considered to be in the category.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

bigar wrote: »
    I would define this very narrow: anyone that needs to deal with the ill and without whom it would not function. Only medical workforce in other words.

That does not mean there are no other important functions, like supermarket employees to name one, but if push come to shove these functions can be done without.

So those working with the elderly in nursing homes, prisons, residential care services, gardai, fire fighters aren’t front line? We can’t do without any of them or those working in supermarkets, manufacturing, deliveries at the moment either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Jucifer

It could be argued that the food supply chain is more important than the health system as it currently exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

- Healthcare Workers
    - Carers
    - Food Production workers
    - Delivery Drivers
    - Gardai

That's just what I can think of off the top of my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

I think there’s a difference between an essential worker - retail worker/ bank clerk etc and a front line worker- dealing directly with covid. As one doctor said we’re not your front line we’re your last line of defense....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,141 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Alot of people working in healthcare, gardai, firefighters, teachers to an extent.

In the current world it is hard not to consider the retail (grocery at least) and delivery drivers too but probably fall more appropriately under the title of essential workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I guess I'm a frontline worker but I never needed or wanted anyone to clap or say thank you.
    I'd rather be out working than be forced to stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭con747

Good luck with your foraging.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

There's so many that could fall under that term.

People who are deliberately face to face with the issue or problem and attempting to stop it control it I guess.

Medical staff in hospitals. Paramedics, yes. Gardai? Sometimes, not always but overall I guess so. Anyone in a hospital that deals with patients actually.

Jesus, there's just so many that could be considered. I'm not sure supermarket qualifies, they are essential, they are face to face with people but they aren't deliberately coming into contact with infected people or trying to actually stop/prevent/treat it.

Guess it all falls on your definition of frontline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

Depends on who are "the ill". In the 'old normal' sense, yes, it would be very narrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 augustin

There are no "front line workers". Phrases like this are concocted to make us all feel a little special, as if we are living through something singularly important or remarkable when in actual fact the dangers of the virus are overstated, and aside from any legislation which persists, the whole thing will be largely forgotten in terms of it being a momentous threat to humanity in a few years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I do not see a single way food supply can be done without. You might have aspirations of surviving with them closed but 5 million others in a variety of other situations aren't.

I'd say front line in this context is everyone required to keep everyone else safely in their houses as long as is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Paulzx

augustin wrote: »
    the whole thing will be largely forgotten in terms of it being a momentous threat to humanity in a few years time.

Yeah. History will never remember the Covid 19 pandemic

Only 39 million cases and 1 million deaths so far......

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭kittyc2018

Customs officers I would consider to be frontline workers. Keeping the goods coming into the country moving so in turn supermarkets, pharmacy’s and shop stay stocked and no shortages of anything. Same goes for truck drivers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Keelings strawberry pickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭smck321

Paulzx wrote: »

It has to be above 10 million to even register on your consciousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭3d4life

Keelings strawberry pickers.

well, we can broaden it out a good bit so :

?

bus & train drivers
    waste collection
    water service
    some co co services
    service engineers ( plumbers, electricians, telecoms, IT )
    etc
    etc
    etc

?

If you think you're a front line worker then you probably are :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Sorry folks but outside the medical staff dealing with sick patients everyone else is a worker.

I saw on another site a beauty salon worker saying they were front line.

There’s a massive gulf between doing someone’s nails and working in a hospital dealing with sick and dying patients. Pretending anything else is just disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Paulzx wrote: »

WHO gives 1,350,000 deaths per annum from road deaths, but nobody bats an eyelid.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭smck321

Zebra3 wrote: »
    WHO gives 1,350,000 deaths per annum from road deaths, but nobody bats an eyelid.

Society invests billions every year internationally to reduce road deaths, entire sectors of employment exist to prevent it. More over substantial R&D goes into reducing road deaths and the overall aim of some technologies is to eliminate it entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭lan

Zebra3 wrote: »

Ireland had 141 road deaths last year according to the RSA:

https://rsa.ie/en/RSA/Road-Safety/RSA-Statistics/Deaths-injuries-on-Irish-roads/

We've had 1,838 COVID deaths according to Google so far this year:

https://news.google.com/covid19/map?hl=en-IE&mid=%2Fm%2F03rt9&gl=IE&ceid=IE%3Aen

And that's WITH social distancing, lockdown(s), masks etc. This doesn't even take into account all of our COVID deaths that weren't attributed to COVID.

I'm not disputing your 1.35 million road deaths a year, but it's completely disingenuous to suggest COVID is less serious because less people have been reported as having died of it globally this year (so far!). Some countries have had worse outbreaks than others, and COVID deaths are also much harder to attribute than vehicular deaths, particularly in countries without robust testing infrastructure.

Regardless, we've had at least 10x as many deaths from COVID, with lockdown, as road deaths last year, and that's in just 9 months.

Quit your bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Having been a frontline worker, I would think the following are frontline, gardaí, HCW, soldiers, civil defence, mountain rescue, navy, coast guard, ya know, the people you call in an emergency.

Essential services are the ones that back up the above, and keep the country going, so shops, lab workers, scientists, radiographers, courts, judges, truck drivers, ya know like the people who maintain food supples and help maintain law and order.

After this, electrical workers, carpenters, plumbers, teachers maybe.

I think of it like this, in the event of an apocalypse who am I yelling for, and the first port of call is not the philiosophy lecturer or the history teacher, sorry guys.

It is the people who can save people and maintain law order, food supples and maintain or reintroduce stabiility.

Teaching is not an essential service, people are not screaming for teachers in a famine, earthquake, landslide, etc. They are screaming for the services that can help save people, make them safe, maintain law and order, provide shelter and food, electricity, and clean water. After all of this when everything is stable, education comes into play.

When I arrive at the scene of an accident, no one wants to hear, stand back I am a primary/secondary school teacher, or I am a librarian I read about this in a book, grand if that is all there is. They want to hear stand back I am a nurse/doctor/ paramedic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

con747 wrote: »
    Good luck with your foraging.

Mushroom season was a few weeks ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

screamer wrote: »
    I think there’s a difference between an essential worker - retail worker/ bank clerk etc and a front line worker- dealing directly with covid. As one doctor said we’re not your front line we’re your last line of defense....

Prefect definition. Thank you

Advertisement