Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cut & thread barrel recommendation

• 14-10-2020 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Folks a rifle I want is out of stock nationally in the barrel length I want.

Local dealer has one with a 24" barrel & has offered to cover the cost of having it cut.

I'm nervous. I always favour factory threading. There's also horror stories about some of the so called gun Smith's in Ireland.... I'm just wondering what are you opinions. Worth waiting til next year on the exact model I want..... Or, who would u recommend to to do the job properly??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Fabguns in Leitrim
    http://www.fabgun.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Robotack

Fabguns in Leitrim
    http://www.fabgun.com/

Are you recommending them or just suggesting someone to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Robotack wrote: »
    Are you recommending them or just suggesting someone to do it?

Id reccomend him 100% .Had butcher work done before, hes the only one id send a gun to now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I'd concur on the above.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Fabian is a terrible nice bloke too, 100% shooting/gun enthusiast.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks. All comments leading to one place so.

Any opinions on factory threading Vs aftermarket?
    Am I safer to hold off despite the skill of fabien?

If you get a monday morning gun from the factory, you can bang it back to the importers/factory. If you go to sell the rifle later, you can say its factory standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

I don't know the individual but a skilled gunsmith will do it perfectly. Nothing to worry about. Just don't cut below 20 inch to keep it legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Lots of factory threading can be sh!te!

Its really not that big of a job, anyone whos decent on a lathe and a bit of knowledge about guns could do it.

Doms custom rifles in Wexford is another fella that would do it in his sleep.

Himself and fabguns have probably done thousands of chopping/threading jobs at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Dom's Rifles in Kiltealy , Wexford

• Advertisement

garv123 wrote: »
    Lots of factory threading can be sh!te!

Its really not that big of a job, anyone whos decent on a lather and a bit of knowledge about guns could do it.

Doms custom rifles in Wexford is another fella that would do it in his sleep.

Himself and fabguns have probably done thousands of chopping/threading jobs at this stage.

I did a few years ago on the colchester. The problem can be the steel tends to tear rather than cut cleanly, leaving a ragged appearance. Its probably down to heat treatment or the grade of steel used.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Heavy handed

I’ve ran into an issue as of late with threading. It was more so down to the moderator I bought. I’ve two rifles threaded for 14x1 by both Dom Byrne and Steve Kershaw in the uk. The problem came when it came time to replace my old hausken moderator with a new one and the adapters hausken supplied won’t fit both rifles and found out later on they wouldn’t fit any of the factory threaded rifles in the shop. Just to be aware if you intend to run one of those mods and end up with a 14x1 thread.

So the problem is that hausken's 14x1 adapter is dodgy as opposed to anything being wrong with your threading jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Heavy handed

So the problem is that hausken's 14x1 adapter is dodgy as opposed to anything being wrong with your threading jobs?

Ya that’s it. Are you getting the threading done to fit a mod ?? If so what mod are you planning on getting. My old mod was shot out so I salvaged the old adapter out of that one and put it into my new one. Works perfect now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

The reason you will find a mod will fit one rifle and not the other when done by a gunsmith is because they often wont cut the thread to spec as you have two tolerences at play then which can make the thread job seem subpar so they will cut the thread and fit the thread to the thread already in the can.
    There is nothhing wrong with doing that as you end up with a better fitting thread as long as they dont leave enough tolerence so it dosent gall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Small Arm Services or Ballistech.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Neither of them have a lathe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

juice1304 wrote: »
    Neither of them have a lathe.

Balistech do,

ronn wrote: »
    Balistech do,

A Dean, Smith, Grace, top gear ;)