Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gluten Free High Pork Sausages

• 26-09-2020 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

So as the title says... looking for Gluten Free High Pork Sausages...does anyone have any recommendations

Pork content ideally 85% minimum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,736 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The highest I could find online was Hodgins at 80% pork content :(
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=260527117

Clonakilty is only 70%, and Mallons at 75%.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The Aldi ones in my fridge are only 70% too, never realised it was that low. The rest of it is made up with pork fat, water, rice flour and potato starch.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    So as the title says... looking for Gluten Free High Pork Sausages...does anyone have any recommendations

Pork content ideally 85% minimum

All M&S sausages are gluten free, and they tend to have a very high pork content.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭con747

https://organicmeat.ie/shop/shop/organic-sausage/gluten-free-pork-sausage/ 95% pork, a bit expensive but high quality I would think. They say they do farmers markets around Dublin. I never used them so can't say if good or not.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭con747

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The Aldi ones in my fridge are only 70% too, never realised it was that low. The rest of it is made up with pork fat, water, rice flour and potato starch.

Some of the well known branded sausages can be as low as 45-70% pork, the highest content I have seen is in Tesco own branded ones. The finest range are usually 85% but not gluten free.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Muahahaha wrote: »

I'd argue the pork fat should be considered as part of the pork content; its still pig. And an all lean sausage would be rather disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

L1011 wrote: »
    I'd argue the pork fat should be considered as part of the pork content; its still pig. And an all lean sausage would be rather disgusting.

This. Or something along these lines.
    The idea that the higher the pork content, the better quality the sausage is far too simplistic and false.
    A sausage (or burger) needs a decent fat content. While fillers and adjuncts can be a sign of poor quality, the addition of fat certainly is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

This. Or something along these lines.
    The idea that the higher the pork content, the better quality the sausage is far too simplistic and false.
    A sausage (or burger) needs a decent fat content. While fillers and adjuncts can be a sign of poor quality, the addition of fat certainly is not.

Pork is typically high in fat anyway

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Pork is typically high in fat anyway

No moreso than any other meat, really and it is very dependant on the cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭eusap

try Jane Russells sausages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

eusap wrote: »
    try Jane Russells sausages

I never heard of them before. Do you know who stocks them. I'm always keen to support new Irish products.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I just seen in James Whelan's they have Gluten Free 75% pork content Sausages which tick the boxes, especially with only 4 ingredients

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    I never heard of them before. Do you know who stocks them. I'm always keen to support new Irish products.

Was just going to suggest these:
    https://janerussells.ie/range/gluten-free-bratwurst/

Some supervalus have them - have also seen in Dunnes in the past iirc

Also these in M&S - 97%

https://imgur.com/ORc1dqm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭Treppen

Is there guidelines as to what part of the pig constitutes "pork".
    Like you could have 100 % pork sausages made up entirely of anus!

Treppen wrote: »
    Is there guidelines as to what part of the pig constitutes "pork".

Yes there are.
    Can't find the EU regs but in UK, according to wiki, "pork meat" can contain 30% fat and up to 25% connective tissue.

Bear in mind that every pime, lean cuts of pork will always have a percentage of fat and connective tissue in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭eusap

OscarMIlde wrote: »

They do online delivery and i think some Dunnes Store stock them

Advertisement