Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ultimate All-Ireland Landmark Tournament

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Keeled over and fell asleep as soon as the winner was announced last night.

Great game - hats off to the organiser, that was quite the feat of work!

And a worthy winner in the end (although not as worthy as the Skelligs or Hook Lignthouse would've been :mad:) - def on my list to visit in person!

If Omackeral happens to have a list of the nominations, I'd love to see it - otherwise I'll compile one in the next day or two.

I'm fascinated (and slightly appalled!) at the idea of a world version - if li'l old Ireland cause that much controversy......

Anyway, great few days' entertainment, thanks everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'm fascinated (and slightly appalled!) at the idea of a world version - if li'l old Ireland cause that much controversy......

Yeah I’m not doing it.

Ah no I will but I completely hate myself for saying it.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Omackeral wrote: »
    Yeah I’m not doing it.

Ah no I will but I completely hate myself for saying it.

:p

Maybe a continent at a time???

(As she merrily signs Omack up for a lifetime of boards competitions refereeing :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Great tournament Omakeral! I somehow forgot to log onto vote last night, but the Sea Stack scraped through anyway :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Well we know what John Mullane thinks of the final result anyway

hqdefault.jpg

Great competition though, even if it did at times show why democracy simply doesn't work :)

But I'm off to dust down my road map and see where more than a few of these places are so that when we go back to getting out of the county, I can start ticking them off. A proper eye-opener!

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Maybe a continent at a time???

(As she merrily signs Omack up for a lifetime of boards competitions refereeing :D)

Well what would people prefer? The way I see it, we’ve two options.

Option 1) A single Monster World Tour. With the World Tour you’d have things like Statue of Liberty vs Eiffel Tower and Great Wall of China vs Sydney Opera House. Most matches would have nothing but heavy hitters.

Option 2) Separate Continental Clashes. We could have 6 very good competitions with plenty of hidden gems in them and then when we have our 6 winners we could throw in some Wildcards to bring it up to 8 or 16 for the Ultimate World Landmark.

Open to thoughts on this.

cdeb wrote: »
    Well we know what John Mullane thinks of the final result anyway

hqdefault.jpg

Great competition though, even if it did at times show why democracy simply doesn't work :)

But I'm off to dust down my road map and see where more than a few of these places are so that when we go back to getting out of the county, I can start ticking them off. A proper eye-opener!

Well don't bother going to killeshandra to see the ruin on the island, you will all be disappointed!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Option 3) 195 individual country tournaments ;)

Well what would people prefer? The way I see it, we’ve two options.

Option 1) A single Monster World Tour. With the World Tour you’d have things like Statue of Liberty vs Eiffel Tower and Great Wall of China vs Sydney Opera House. Most matches would have nothing but heavy hitters.

Option 2) Separate Continental Clashes. We could have 6 very good competitions with plenty of hidden gems in them and then when we have our 6 winners we could throw in some Wildcards to bring it up to 8 or 16 for the Ultimate World Landmark.

Open to thoughts on this.

Option 2 is a lot more work for you O.
    I'm happy with whatever you want :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Continental contests sound good to me. I'd struggle to think of many from Africa and South America, Im sure there are loads though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Option 2 sounds amazing but a lot of work!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Option 2 for me - tournaments by continent. Probably the best thing about this competition has been discovering gems like Coumshingaun that I didn't know existed. Would be great to have that again for an international event rather than just having the obvious big hitters going head to head. Again I'd expect some of the hidden gems to be more popular than the traditional landmarks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Yeah, if it's a worldwide one it could be predictable. The gems are what makes it different. So keep it focussed I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

I'm sure both would be great but I favour option 2. I'm conscious of the workload though - conscious in the sense that I think "Thank Fcuk I haven't got to do that" - so whatever you decide to go with I'll be happy, as long as it doesn't involve sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,343 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

In a way a sad insignificant little piece of rock sticking out of the Atlantic Ocean is the perfect landmark to use as the symbol of our nation.

Great competition lads. Thanks

Option 3) 195 individual country tournaments ;)

194 actually, Ireland is done.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

194 actually, Ireland is done
    Good point, even easier for you then :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I nominate mount huashan in China. Definitely the number 1 attraction on earth if not the entire universe.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I nominate mount huashan in China. Definitely the number 1 attraction on earth if not the entire universe.

Angkor Wat in Cambodia begs to differ :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Necro wrote: »
    Angkor Wat in Cambodia begs to differ :P

Starts looking for Civ 3 and 4 discs :o

• Advertisement

Built landmarks Vs natural is gonna really turn nasty in the world competition.

Sorry if this has been suggested already but would regions not be the best way to go eg. Scandinavia, North Africa or the Balkans rather than country or continental

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Built landmarks Vs natural is gonna really turn nasty in the world competition.

Sorry if this has been suggested already but would regions not be the best way to go eg. Scandinavia, North Africa or the Balkans rather than country or continental

Not a bad shout either in theory. 8 or 16 finalists then in a bracket at the end. Something to ponder.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Not a bad shout either in theory. 8 or 16 finalists then in a bracket at the end. Something to ponder.

What was the winner dude?

Probably looking at around 2/3 north American,2 south, 2/3 for Africa, 3 Asia 1/2 Australia and a bunch of Europe cause we probably all know it better but I work that out as 6/7. So about 21 max if you include a round for the polar caps

Probably looking at around 2/3 north American,2 south, 2/3 for Africa, 3 Asia 1/2 Australia and a bunch of Europe cause we probably all know it better but I work that out as 6/7. So about 21 max if you include a round for the polar caps

Sounds like you have it figured out mate, I look forward to your tournament hosting debut :P

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    What was the winner dude?

All of us. We all won along the way pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Sounds like you have it figured out mate, I look forward to your tournament hosting debut :P

Seems like the perfect guy to run it, it’s the enthusiasm
    In a way a sad insignificant little piece of rock sticking out of the Atlantic Ocean is the perfect landmark to use as the symbol of our nation.

Great competition lads. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 84,930 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

China is banned :D

I still haven't figured out how to put photos on Boards while using my phone or do multi post replys so I doubt I'm the man for the job. But I'm happy to help if I can

• Advertisement

Green&Red wrote: »
    Seems like the perfect guy to run it, it’s the enthusiasm

I'm enthusiastic about the world one cause it will feature landmarks not just pointy sea rocks : )

Edit:Ocean rocks

Advertisement