Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

yellow sliotars introduced for 2020 championship - Surely orange would be a better co

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Good idea, not sure why it took so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Great idea.

I’ve pucked with one of the new yellow ones. Identical in terms of how it performs obviously. Same length feel etc.

I thought way better to judge on a high ball struck from a long distance, easier to track it in air. I was surprised how much of a difference colour made. Now everyone has different eyesight so I may notice it but maybe someone else wouldn’t

Think it may help umpires a lot on calling points that are close to post or struck very high

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Dragging this thread back up because it seems to be the biggest non issue we've in the GAA over the last number of years that I can think of and every fella is being asked in interviews about it.

Big joe and Noel Connors the latest to be asked and surpringly neither of them seem to know why the yellow sliotar is being introduced. Noel Connors gave the examiner some inspiring words by saying "It's not a tennis ball, it's a sliotar"... My god.

Is it just me or is it fairly obvious why the sliotar is being changed to yellow. Someone needs to tell Noel tennis balls used to be white as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭threeball

DuffleBag wrote: »
    Dragging this thread back up because it seems to be the biggest non issue we've in the GAA over the last number of years that I can think of and every fella is being asked in interviews about it.

Big joe and Noel Connors the latest to be asked and surpringly neither of them seem to know why the yellow sliotar is being introduced. Noel Connors gave the examiner some inspiring words by saying "It's not a tennis ball, it's a sliotar"... My god.

Is it just me or is it fairly obvious why the sliotar is being changed to yellow. Someone needs to tell Noel tennis balls used to be white as well.

Cannings main gripe was that the ball isn't of the same quality as the white sliothar (well at least the ones he played with in Boston), its harder and has less bounce. Apparently a good few hurls were broke just hitting the ball. You can see why a free taker would see this as a fairly major issue. The KK goalkeeper was not too glowing in his praise of them either, something to the effect of having to bring 500 hurls to a match to hit theses rocks.

From the ones I've used i have to agree, they are extremely hard and feel more like hitting a snooker ball than a sliothar. i don't know why that is and hopefully its sorted before the games start.

threeball wrote: »
    Cannings main gripe was that the ball isn't of the same quality as the white sliothar (well at least the ones he played with in Boston), its harder and has less bounce. Apparently a good few hurls were broke just hitting the ball. You can see why a free taker would see this as a fairly major issue. The KK goalkeeper was not too glowing in his praise of them either, something to the effect of having to bring 500 hurls to a match to hit theses rocks.

From the ones I've used i have to agree, they are extremely hard and feel more like hitting a snooker ball than a sliothar. i don't know why that is and hopefully its sorted before the games start.
    Tipp and Cork trained with them at weekend and players said there was zero difference except obviously different colour

You must remember Canning and Murphy both have families involved in hurley making who also supply sliotars. They’re afraid it will impact businesses down the line

The reason Hurleys broke in Boston was because they were stored in roasting hotels on the trip but then brought out into almost freezing temperatures for the game. The timber won’t last in that type of variations between contracting and expanding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭john9876

Could they not have dyed the existing sliotars yellow?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Any company that was making the official white ones are making the yellow ones. Whatever about the boston ones, these are exactly the same inside and out with the leather coloured yellow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Complete non-issue. One of my young lads has been training with them for the past few weeks, mostly under floodlights.

It's the weight of the sliotar traditionalists should be looking at if we are to have a debate about how hurling is becoming a midfield game.

Kasey_Don wrote: »
    Who makes them? Sounds like the company nudged the GAA, nice little earner isn't it?

They'll all be using them now and kids at home will want to buy one aswell.

The majority of makers have yellow available now too so same that way.

But I’d say the fear from them is the GAA will make it standard to use a particular manufacturer

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

benji79 wrote: »
    The majority of makers have yellow available now too so same that way.

But I’d say the fear from them is the GAA will make it standard to use a particular manufacturer

I think that will be a good thing, to use a standard sliotar in intercounty matches.

Up to the manufacturers themselves to be able to manufacture them to the same standard, they could be used for training and Club competitions.

I think Joe thought it was very sudden more than anything else, and no consultation.

• Advertisement

GS11 wrote: »
    I think that will be a good thing, to use a standard sliotar in intercounty matches.

Up to the manufacturers themselves to be able to manufacture them to the same standard, they could be used for training and Club competitions.

I think Joe thought it was very sudden more than anything else, and no consultation.
    It’s not sudden though, was spoken about ages ago but maybe he didn’t notice at the time

Advertisement