Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dexter - Season 9 - 2021 - US Pace - Showtime (**Spoilers**)

• 29-04-2021 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭bgr123

One of the better shows from Showtime.Pity it finished.Still constant rumours of a return.Will it happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

The last three seasons were the biggest pile of **** of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭bgr123

The last three seasons were the biggest pile of **** of all time.

Did go down hill.Think season 4 was the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭ahlookit

bgr123 wrote: »

They shouldn't bring it back... They should have finished after season 4. John Lithgow was brilliant in that season. Definitely downhill all the way after that. The final episode was just insulting the viewers intelligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Season 7 was a pretty commendable recovery and almost return to form, only to be absolutely and recklessly squandered by the ****-show that was Season 8.

At the time, I was so angry with what they had done that I wished more than anything they'd produce one more season or even an extended made-for-tv affair that would wrap it up conclusively and do it the justice it deserved.

Now I just don't care anymore and think it should be just let lie. But god, they made an absolute mess of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭lertsnim

bgr123 wrote: »

Down hill? It fell off a cliff. It is a prime example of why shows should end on a high.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Ah Season 4, brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Haven't watched season 4 in years. I must dig it out for the weekend. Once of the best seasons of TV ever produced

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Digging up an old thread as I recently got into watching Dexter because of my girlfriend. She has seen it all.
    I have to say I am quite enjoying season one. Near the end of it too. Can't believe I never watched this when it was on TV years ago.

Heard the ending is terrible. Have no idea or clue as to what tho. Good to hear a lot of people view season 4 as the best. Shows dip over time so it's good that I have that to look forward to. I've managed to stay clear of spoilers too all these years :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

it was a fantastic show in its day, unfortunately history will remember the shambles that it became when it went on for a couple of seasons too many. The first few season were brilliant though and I remember it being one of those shows that had you aching for the week to go by just so you could find out what happens next ! Unlike the instant gratification world we live in now with all of the streaming platforms showing all episodes immediately upon release. Enjoy !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Thanks.
    I do agree season 1 has been one of those shows where you want to see what happens next. Very good writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

It went downhill in the last few seasons but the last season was in a league of its own altogether. A bit like the last season of Game of Thrones, it just dropped off a cliff completely in terms of quality. I enjoyed most of the later seasons really except the last one. I think it was Season 7 where Ray Stevenson was the Russian mobster? I thought that one was easily the best since Season 4 with John Lithgow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah season 4 with the Trinity killer was definitely the best seaon then it just went to muck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Season 5 was where it went belly up alright a very gloomy season IIRC. After 4 solid seasons, although Jimmy Smits was ropey in season 3, in season 5 we had Julia stiles and dexter wearing a wig.

But so many annoying characters it’s crazy. Debra, Quinn, Latina boss, robocop, Latino with the hat. In hindsight it was like NCIS just with better writing and an interesting story arc.

It was a great “tv show” but for sure grade or two below the likes of Breaking Bad for example.

Dokes, what a character!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,881 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ah Dexter. First two seasons were great. Season 3 was pretty ****, then it did a dead cat bounce with a stunning comeback in Season 4, then fell off the cliff for good. It was really Lithgow that carried Season 4 through as well. The writing around other characters was already starting to show the sloppiness that dragged the show down once Lithgow exited. For example, Dexter's monologues which were sharp and full of dry wit in the first two seasons had turned into Dexter simply narrating what was already obvious to the viewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,789 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mixed feelings about this. The last season was unbelievably god awful, but this could be a redemption of sorts. I wonder what the format is, a direct sequel to the last season?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just about to post the same thing..

.. madness!

I've no mixed feelings.. this is a BAD IDEA!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Basq wrote: »
    I've no mixed feelings.. this is a BAD IDEA!
    Who doesn't want to see how the lumberjack career is going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Bizarre news. When I saw it online I presumed they were just referring to reshowing from S1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Shred

Jesus I loved this show when it was on, but really that was just the first 4 seasons and I can barely remember the last 4 other than the awful ending. They should just leave it be imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I only came across this 2014 short a few days ago, and I suppose it must have been shown somewhere, all 25 minutes of it, with Dexter's son apparently carrying on the family tradition :eek:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4370304/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭world class wreckin’ cru

With the original show runner who oversaw seasons 1-4, I’m getting my hopes up. :) Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I really do hope it's a new series not just them re-running the old ones. You could read it either way.

The ending was terrible, I think most Dexter fans would agree, and I for one would like to see beyond it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It wasn't just the ending that sucked though: every season after the fourth showed severely decreasing quality - and IIRC coincided with its original producer leaving. The plan was to end the story with Dexter finally getting caught and executed for his crimes; but of course, the studio saw a popular show, demanding Dexter avoid any kind of comeuppance and to keep his adventures going.

The logical hoops to keep him out of trouble got more and more insane - culminating in a last season that was some of the worst professionally-made television (outside of TV soaps) I've ever watched. So the one small positive from this news - the original showrunner is coming back. That might at least steer things back into the realms of quality and we can all forget that awful last iteration.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I have fond memories of the first 4 seasons although wasn't happy with them killing off Rita, it was all downhill from there.

Will it end up with him trying to track down his son and Hannah? Will it leave him in Alaska searching local newspapers tracking down murderers who got off on a technicality? Or him tracing down a local serial killer?
    We can only hope they have some sound ideas for the new series.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The ending was dire, so completely onboard with this. The show runner return seems promising.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,050 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I remember there being one decent season towards the end, the penultimate one perhaps and then the whole thing just felt so tedious that I looked up the ending on Wikipedia.

Not sure what they're aiming for here. Depressing to see them clawing the bottom of the barrel like this.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

I actually watched the finale of Breaking Bad the same night as the finale for Dexter. The difference was just staggering. I mean the whole last season was terrible, but the finale was so out there on an island of unspeakable horridness.

I was angry about it for ages. Some people were missing the point - what actually happened to Dexter in the end in itself wouldn't have been my preferred end but it was fine in principle, but how they got there - the storyline, the scripting, was not.

Come to think of it, I don't think I can think of a worse decline in any other high profile show. Maybe Game of Thrones, another spectacular misfire.

Advertisement