Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gaelic games in relation to Covid.

Options
  • 14-10-2020 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭

It is clear that large gatherings in the aftermath of Gaelic matches have caused many Covid cases.

Why were many people so desperate to have a resumption of Gaelic action? After all, we can live without Gaelic games for much longer than without restaurants and cafés and other businesses.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

It is clear that large gatherings in the aftermath of Gaelic matches have caused many Covid cases.

Why were many people so desperate to have a resumption of Gaelic action? After all, we can live without Gaelic games for much longer than without restaurants and cafés and other businesses.

In many parts of the country local championships are a real big deal and are the source of huge interest and discussion plus a big deal for those that play those games , I’ve seen some great matchs online .
    The problem was the finals , players and others couldn’t control themselves such was their delight at winning .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

The GAA have taken all the precautions here yet these outbreaks happened in towns and villages not in the grounds. Publicans, Players, Management and supporters are to blame here.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭smck321

Football is a big deal to some people and as the path of a virus cannot be easily directly tracked from speading at a game to the death of individuals some of those who attend do not see the correlation or at least can reason it away that is was x other group that did it, like those young people down the street having a party not us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭political analyst

piplip87 wrote: »
    The GAA have taken all the precautions here yet these outbreaks happened in towns and villages not in the grounds. Publicans, Players, Management and supporters are to blame here.

I wasn't targeting the GAA - I was asking about the desperation of people to have Gaelic action resumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

If intercounty players/coaches etc who are training away feel they want and feel safe in playing the championships than let them at it. They like the rest of us have to take personal responsibility

Can't paint all the GAA community with the same brush. Yes it was bloody idiotic what happened in certain clubs/towns and serious questions need to be asked with punishments handed out

Feel the championships will lift a bit of the doom and gloom around coming into Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Lots of cases have come from Holy Communion parties.

Should we blame the Catholic Church for this?

Lots of cases have come from people crossing the country to go on their #staycation.

Should we blame Failte Ireland for this?

Lots of cases have come from students returning to third level.

Should we blame the Higher Education Authority for this?

Lots of cases have come from primary and secondary schools.

Should we blame the Dept of Education for this?

LuasSimon wrote: »
    In many parts of the country local championships are a real big deal and are the source of huge interest and discussion plus a big deal for those that play those games , I’ve seen some great matchs online .
    The problem was the finals , players and others couldn’t control themselves such was their delight at winning .

I'm sure that tennis is a big deal for many Britons but their country did without Wimbledon this year. Furthermore, there were many non-sporting events that Britain had to do without this year. So why can't those Irish people who for whom local Gaelic action is a big deal make a similar sacrifice?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭limerickabroad

I think the GAA are being scapegoated a bit here. Brought a lot of happiness to people over the summer months, and the Cul Camps had over 70,000 children actively engaged, with just one covid case. How many house parties would have occured if there was no GAA training this summer? The post county final scenes last weekend were very wrong, and the GAA pulled the plug on all games the next morning - the right call, imo. But to relentlessly attack the GAA (seems to happen here a lot) is unfair and disproportionate .

BPKS wrote: »
    Lots of cases have come from Holy Communion parties.

Should we blame the Catholic Church for this?

Lots of cases have come from people crossing the country to go on their #staycation.

Should we blame Failte Ireland for this?

Lots of cases have come from students returning to third level.

Should we blame the Higher Education Authority for this?

Lots of cases have come from primary and secondary schools.

Should we blame the Dept of Education for this?

Nobody says that the Church and the GAA are responsible for family gatherings. But there was no need for those people to gather after Gaelic matches. By the way, education is a necessity - unlike Gaelic games.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    If intercounty players/coaches etc who are training away feel they want and feel safe in playing the championships than let them at it. They like the rest of us have to take personal responsibility

Can't paint all the GAA community with the same brush. Yes it was bloody idiotic what happened in certain clubs/towns and serious questions need to be asked with punishments handed out

Feel the championships will lift a bit of the doom and gloom around coming into Christmas

I'm sure that's what those recent local matches did - and look at what they led to!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I'm sure that tennis is a big deal for many Britons but their country did without Wimbledon this year. Furthermore, there were many non-sporting events that Britain had to do without this year. So why can't those Irish people who for whom local Gaelic action is a big deal make a similar sacrifice?

There was no Gaelic action as you refer to it during the summer in terms of Intercounty Championship. The months when it is traditionally played.

I suspect this is just a thread for people who don't like GAA to give it a good bashing

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

In Britain they were desperate to re start the Premier League and Championship in June to help lift the mood of the nation.

A bit of light peeking through a hole in the tunnel.

I'm guessing by your posts that you don't realise just how much the GAA championship means to huge swathes of our country.

The summer gave people in communities all throughout the country something to get their mind off the ****storm we are in by watching their friends, sons, daughters, grandkids play sport.

The winter will hopefully do the same on a grander scale.

ShyMets wrote: »
    There was no Gaelic action as you refer to it during the summer in terms of Intercounty Championship. The months when it is traditionally played.

I suspect this is just a thread for people who don't like GAA to give it a good bashing

The point is: why couldn't Gaelic fans do without it for one year? After all, that's what Britain did with Wimbledon - and also many non-sporting events.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Im undecided on whether i think the cship should go ahead but there will not be repeats of the scenes witnessed at county finals and their aftermaths. Its a completely different situation to the county finals

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

If gob****es want to gather and have a party they will do it whether it's after the GAA or the pigeon racing.

The problem was with the idiots gathering rather than with the GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

The point is: why couldn't Gaelic fans do without it for one year? After all, that's what Britain did with Wimbledon - and also many non-sporting events.

If Wimbledon has traditionally been played in August instead of June it would almost certainly gone ahead as sport in the UK has restarted by that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

My real fear is what happens when teams win an all Ireland? If the sessions after a county final win are bad imagine if a county which hasn’t won for ages wins? Throw in the fact it will be Christmas time and I think the figures for early January will be spectacular.

Im undecided on whether i think the cship should go ahead but there will not be repeats of the scenes witnessed at county finals and their aftermaths. Its a completely different situation to the county finals

There may not be in the stadium but imagine if Mayo or Waterford win? Holy moly it will be bedlam in every corner of the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

scrubs33 wrote: »
    but imagine if Mayo or Waterford win? Holy moly it will be bedlam in every corner of the county.

I know people are under pressure in these troubled times but let's not get carried away :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

I know people are under pressure in these troubled times but let's not get carried away :D
    I wouldn’t write off the Mayo hurlers...😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

scrubs33 wrote: »
    There may not be in the stadium but imagine if Mayo or Waterford win? Holy moly it will be bedlam in every corner of the county.

Oh ya i accept that totally, and i was going to mention those two teams actually. As a big Mayo fan, i can just imagine the chaos in the county, all good intentions would go out the window. Would be just like us, to win it an empty Croke Park, pubs closed and no homecoming :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Oh ya i accept that totally, and i was going to mention those two teams actually. As a big Mayo fan, i can just imagine the chaos in the county, all good intentions would go out the window. Would be just like us, to win it an empty Croke Park, pubs closed and no homecoming :eek:

Off licences will be busy, cant wait for all the Waterford games

Liverpool winning the PL could be a sign, seriously clutching at straws here :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Belt

Wimbledon had pandemic insurance , that is why it was cancelled. Not some sense of duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

piplip87 wrote: »

This is correct.

Every club/village/town that won county finals would show clusters soon afterwards if that data was available.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Seven Worlds will Collide

Belt wrote: »
    Wimbledon had pandemic insurance , that is why it was cancelled. Not some sense of duty.

Well observed.

For everyone's benefit here's the relevant link.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/tennis/2020/0629/1150277-wimbledon-rides-pandemic-thanks-to-insurance-cover/

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Just cancel the training and games or postpone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Whatever about the extent that GAA related activities have contributed to the spread of Covid 19 the above is a totally OTT and more than likely based on a dislike of the GAA.:rolleyes:

seligehgit wrote: »
    Whatever about the extent that GAA related activities have contributed to the spread of Covid 19 the above is a totally OTT and more than likely based on a dislike of the GAA.:rolleyes:

Agreed. I assure you that my OP is not targeted at the GAA or any particular group of people. I merely asked about people's desperation to have Gaelic games resumed after the first lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Nobody says that the Church and the GAA are responsible for family gatherings. But there was no need for those people to gather after Gaelic matches. By the way, education is a necessity - unlike Gaelic games.

Piss off political analyst, you only started this as a windup, because you’re a wind up merchant. Ye gobsh#te

Advertisement