Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I need to educate myself

Options
  • 14-10-2020 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭

Where do i start?
    Bought a house wont have keys until next year as we wait for current owners to move. It needs to be completely gutted.
    While waiting to get the house, I want to start educating myself on solar panels and finding the right ones for us. Where can i start?

Next question, i have the manpower - OH is construction engineer, and family are builders, but no one has experience with solar panels. Is this something they can do, or do i have to get an experienced company to install?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Putting the panels up Is a straight forward task, esp for anyone with a trade, Measure, put up brackets, put up panels and connect them up.

The Electrical connection should be done by an electrician,

If you have a look at the 2020 quotes thread you will see the prices and if they are low or high.

If your completely gutting it, Now is your best chance to forward plan, Figure out where you would like to put the panels, Start off trying a south facing roof, but east/west is also a good option.

There is not much difference between the panels, but go as big as you can, There is a grant of up to 3000 euro if you put in a 4kwp (kilowatt of panels) and a battery but some quotes out there are Very high. Price around, and especially if your gutting the place, you'll prob be rewiring it chat to your electrician. They might be able to do it/work with your family. Sometimes doing it with out the grant can be cheaper!

The SEAI grant, there is 1800 of a grant for solar only, 900 euro per kwp. you can put more panels up but there isnt any extra grant.

Then if a battery is included there is an extra 600euro for the battery and = there is an extra 300 euro per kwp up to 4kwp for a total of 3000.

Would always say price both as hybrid inverter used for a battery system usually doubles the price of the inverter, and then you need to add a battery on the top of that.

The most basic of battery systems have a 2.4kwh battery, you'll be lucky to get 2kwh out of it in the evening. That is only 2 units of electricity. That is why there is so much debate about them whether they are feasible or not.

Also if you have solar, Get the night rate meter, as most of your day useage will be covered by the solar!

Also think about a provision of a EV charge point, All you need to do now is think of where a car is going to be parked and and have the electrical cable ready to go. Or at least a duct or conduit that you can pull a cable at a later date

There is not much difference between the panels, but go as big as you can

Insulate as much as possible, more you do now, the less you will have to spend on heat, be it Heatpump, oil or gas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭mel123

Thank you so much, your post was very helpful

Advertisement