Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ultimate All-Ireland Landmark Tournament

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Omackeral wrote: »
    From a logistics and timing point of view, we’ll be running both semi finals simultaneously. The Grand Finale will follow directly afterwards. So here’s the schedule;
    Semi Final 1 and Semi Final 2 @ 8PM

Final to follow immediately afterwards @ 9PM

Excellent stuff. Thanks Omack. Had non-stop meetings in work today and i was afraid i had missed this. Thrilled now.

My guided tour of my drive around the Horseshoe this afternoon.

There she is, the majestic Benbulben popping her head out on the right and giving you a wink and telling you to enjoy your visit to The Gleniff Horseshoe.

4-A786567-8-A47-4-F65-A7-C4-152-C48-B0-AA70.jpg

Like a giant wave, Benwiskin looks out to the Atlantic Ocean and is the start of our anti clockwise drive around the horseshoe. You can reach Benwiskin by climbing Benbulben and walking across the top

AAADA057-D91-C-4542-9018-7535-C96-D1801.jpg

Next we have the old school house. It was abandoned when mining operations ceased. Myself and some friends were really big fans of Most Haunted when it was first on tv. So we headed up here after midnight and checked out all the old buildings. The schoolhouse was very spooky.

2-BCF5-ABD-4-DE2-46-C1-978-D-B6-E0-D4-D0-FC68.jpg

Here’s a professional photo that includes the view we’ve been looking at all through the comp. I had my good white trainers on today so wasn’t traipsing in the mud :D

EB9055-C7-07-BC-4-C95-9-D7-F-EBAD1-CB44-CB9.jpg

If you were to walk over this part of mountain you would end up on top of glencar waterfall. It’s probably not that far as the crow flies.

7366-C11-F-E8-AC-475-C-9-FC2-12-F55088-BC49.jpg

Going in an anti clockwise direction and you do get better views of the sea. In the middle of this photo is Classiebawn and beyond it you can see the outline of Sliabh Liag! I stood for ages but the clouds wouldn’t shift. On a good day it’s very clear.

57466-F04-75-A4-4394-81-C6-0101827230-A2.jpg

We’re now at the end of the drive and you see the old buildings that were used when this was a mining area. There’s a lovely picnic area here too.

F8505-CF6-E39-B-4-DAB-91-AD-7-C03-AC04-EFE2.jpg

Please excuse my photography skills but I’ve always had dodgy eyesight.

So, I have given you Benbulben, Diarmuid & Grainne’s cave, Glencar Waterfall, Classiebawn & Sliabh Liag! Even if it doesn’t win, I highly recommend visiting the area whenever you get the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

There's the Sligo chapter of our travel book ready to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

https://www.facebook.com/MayoDotIE/videos/708803473053754/

Here’s an excellent video of Downpatrick Head

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Excellent canvassing.

Are we looking at a Connacht all Ireland final?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Green&Red wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/MayoDotIE/videos/708803473053754/

Here’s an excellent video of Downpatrick Head

I realise I'm going to get shot down for this but I'm sticking my head above the parapet anyway. I don't get it. its nice and all but not spectacular :o Of all the beautiful sites we've seen over the last week it wouldn't be one on my list to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

ChannelNo5 wrote: »
    I realise I'm going to get shot down for this but I'm sticking my head above the parapet anyway. I don't get it. its nice and all but not spectacular :o Of all the beautiful sites we've seen over the last week it wouldn't be one on my list to visit.
    I'm with you, but shhh.... :p

It is cool, but it's not a patch on a lot of the others. And I love the EIRE sign, but there's a good few of those around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭r439z5ifwt8soq

Coumshingaun deserves a bit of hype too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ft8M9xWnM

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Kolido wrote: »
    Excellent canvassing.

Are we looking at a Connacht all Ireland final?

They could meet in the semi final. So it depends on the draw... And the draw has been made... so I can reveal...

...absolutely nothing, you'll have to wait!

:p

Ah lads this is the best tournament ever. People driving around taking photos or putting up videos from Youtube of the places. I am loving this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Croagh Patrick is more impressive than an iceberg with no ice. Mayo jury got it wrong.

Omackeral wrote: »
    They could meet in the semi final. So it depends on the draw... And the draw has been made... so I can reveal...

...absolutely nothing, you'll have to wait!

:p

You are such a tease.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

As a keen mountaineer I have to voice my disapproval at the no show of Carantoohil the Goliath. How can a village island built by Ewoks in the year 1593AD beat that?? Kerry jury got this one very wrong.

I should have waited till now to do the drive as there’s a great pink sky tonight. But I’m waiting on a takeaway delivery.

This is the view from my own back garden looking at Truskmore.

5-E5-EBA5-C-DB6-B-4118-BC0-C-6556061-C98-DE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

ChannelNo5 wrote: »
    I'm with you, but shhh.... :p

It is cool, but it's not a patch on a lot of the others. And I love the EIRE sign, but there's a good few of those around

Ye should visit it, the place is massively impressive in real life

Croagh Patrick is a real land mark as you come into Westport, I wouldn’t have argued with it as our rep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Croagh Patrick is a real land mark as you come into Westport, I wouldn’t have argued with it as our rep

You cannot see the skelligs from he top though !!!

Edit

. I'm joking obviously - i have never been up there on a clear day ..... sniff...

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

I've been albeit a long time ago and just don't remember it leaving an impression in the way the cliffs of moher did as comparison.
    Not a slight on mayo I thought you had much better offerings.
    Sure its all subjective. That's what I've loved about this thread. Some real shocks and pleasant surprises. And lots of new places to visit.

T- 5 minutes. Both semi final matches are going to run at the same time. So when you're giving your choices, make sure you're choosing one from Match 1 and one from Match 2. The bouts are going to have a duration 45 minutes. As before, most votes wins and reasons are used for tie-breakers.

Match 1

Sligo

Gleniff Horseshoe Valley

536d19d3131f479a655f6adb1d0ba814.jpg

VS

Mayo

Downpatrick Head Sea Stack

DEh1EC0XYAAHt5w.jpg

Match 2

Waterford

Coumshingaun Lough

coumshingaun-lough.jpg

VS

Meath

Newgrange

Newgrange-aerial-718x523.jpeg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

My favourite of the tourney, even makes me vote Mayo over the home county. Just love everything about it.

And in the second...

Coumshingaun Lough

Second fave, deserves to be in the final just an amazing place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Match 1- Gleniff Horseshoe Valley

Match 2- Newgrange

Breaks my heart going against my own county but Newgrange is so iconic

• Registered Users Posts: 84,833 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Horseshoe Valley looks just lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Coumshingaun Lough

• Registered Users Posts: 84,833 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I went on a school tour to Newgrange so that gets my vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭r439z5ifwt8soq

Sea stack

And coumshingaun because looking at it would make ya coum

Gleniff Horseshoe - if you haven’t already guessed, I’m in love with the place.

Newgrange - It’s better than the lough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

The sea stack, oozes awesomeness out there all on its own

Newgrange, its like the superdome covered in grass

• Registered Users Posts: 28,776 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Match 1 - Sea stack. Because it's magnificent, and it's by/in the sea

Match 2 - Newgrange. Because it's ancient, and there's something magical/ mystical about it, and seeing that shaft of sunlight creep along the floor on December 21st was quite something.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Gleniff Horseshoe Valley ; I feel like there's more to it than the sea stack, and I find it more scenic

Coumshingan Lough ; its my favourite to win the tournament, just amazing looking

• Advertisement

Hello 2 D Person Below reached out me earlier and I have accepted their votes via PM.
    Votes cast by Hello 2 D Person Below

Match 1 - Dun Briste aka Downpatrick Head Sea Stack

Match 2 - Coumshingaun Lough

Advertisement