Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Furiosa

• 13-10-2020 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84,788 ✭✭✭✭

Mad Max spinoff Furiosa in the works with George Miller directing and Anya Taylor-Joy in the title role with Chris Hemsworth and Yahya Abdul-Mateen II also joining - Deadline

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

God I hate prequels. Sometimes - just sometimes - in the context of an incredibly well established franchise, like Star Wars, or Lord of the Rings, they can have some merit.

But seriously, who wanted Furiosa's backstory?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Homelander wrote: »
    God I hate prequels. Sometimes - just sometimes - in the context of an incredibly well established franchise, like Star Wars, or Lord of the Rings, they can have some merit.

But seriously, who wanted Furiosa's backstory?

To be fair, the same could be said for Fury Road and look how that turned out. Of course Miller probably now has more expectations than last time, but I'd remain cautiously optimistic he'll be allowed make the film he wants to rather than yield to any executive pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

I take the point, but equally, Fury Road was about bringing Mad Max to an entire new audience, decades after the original run - a direct sequel at that point would be lost to the mass market.

But a prequel, to a prequel, I'm just not sure - surely a direct sequel to the newly established franchise would be more fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

To be honest just give me a aged Max with Mel Gibson

• Registered Users Posts: 14,708 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

But a prequel, to a prequel, I'm just not sure

is Fury Road a prequel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,600 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I take the point, but equally, Fury Road was about bringing Mad Max to an entire new audience, decades after the original run - a direct sequel at that point would be lost to the mass market.

But a prequel, to a prequel, I'm just not sure - surely a direct sequel to the newly established franchise would be more fitting.

Fury Road isn't a prequel though?

Mad Max was the world on the brink
    Part 2 was the world had toppled over
    Thunderdome was civilisation of sorts being rebuilt

Fury Road is a continuation of that.

So a prequel to Fury Road would likely be between TD and FR.

In FR Joe had built an established settlement with other significant settlements around them so it obviously didn't just spring up overnight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Unless George Miller confirmed anything, I've tended not to think of Mad Max as having much continuity or "canon", beyond the first sequel showing a flashback to the original. The series feels more like a loose set of stories, tenuously centred around a single character. Taking inspiration from the kind of oral mythmaking this post-apocalyptic society might itself have: full of half-truths and abstractions; to the point where "Mad Max" might just be a label given to any number of reluctant strangerss who wander into other folks' adventures.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

George Miller loves continuity... or should I say he loves the sound it makes as he bludgeons it to death with a guitar. It’s a series with barely any internal consistency and all the better for it (well, maybe Thunderdome isn’t the better for it).

It doesn’t even remotely ****ing matter whether any of these films are sequels, prequels, reboots, whatever. If he delivers on the insane action and sheer visceral vision of Fury Road again, that’s the important thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

This seems like a mistake. As much as I enjoyed Fury Road, it barely broke even at the box office, despite the presence of Mad Max and Charlize Theron in an iconic role.

So now we get a Mad Max-free spin-off about Theron's character, but without her? Risky...

• Registered Users Posts: 84,788 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I'll believe it's happening once the cameras start, then stop rolling. After the madness of the Fury Road shoot, the very first attempt being flooded out of Australia, I won't take anything for granted.

Chris Hemsworth will be the villain

Acceptable.

I wonder how he does as a villian and if humour will come into play.

He played the villain in Bad Times at the El Royale; that used his status as a handsome man, playing a smiling, charming and manipulative cult leader. I have a sneaking suspicion he'll try and play against type here - given how dirty, mutilated and otherwise crap looking everyone has been in Mad Max films.

How'd I forget Bad Times at the El Royale! 😲

• Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Good logo.

I'm confident; Miller seems to have entered a small Blank Cheque phase in his septuagenarian years, between this and Three Thousand Years of Longing. Well, this may be more studio mandated, but Fury Road didn't exactly set the box office alight either so would be hopefully Miller has the right amount of creative control.

First few set photos from Australia have surfaced; the dirt bikers look familiar and like those from Fury Road. The giant gate is suitably epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Given Furiosa came from the tribe named after lady parts I suppose you’d expect to see similar bikes to those the old ladies had in Fury Road.

• Advertisement

The official synopsis was released. My guess is Hemsworth will play young Immortan Joe.

As the world fell, young Furiosa is snatched from the Green Place of Many Mothers and falls into the hands of a great Biker Horde led by the Warlord Dementus. Sweeping through the Wasteland they come across the Citadel presided over by The Immortan Joe. While the two Tyrants war for dominance, Furiosa must survive many trials as she puts together the means to find her way home

Hmm... I reacted to reading that by thinking Hemsworth feels a bit taller to be IJ.

Well first look at Hemsworth; sporting red hair & prosthetic nose (sorry for the Daily Mail link)

Production in Sydney has shut-down as George Miller contracted CoVid. Reads like the earliest it can start up again is Aug 15.

Set photos also revealed the return of

The War Boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ryaller

Thor hamming it up and some dodgy CGI, a lot to live up to from Fury Road but have faith in George Miller

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The only blockbuster that matters in 2024, quite frankly. Inject that glorious chrome into my bloodstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Oh what a day, what a lovely day!

Bloody héll, YES.

Oh yes.

It looks demented and epic, and I'm here for it all the way.

I love Miller's complete rejection of visual verisimilitude for this completely overcranked, plainly CGI enriched look. It's a reminder that CGI itself is never the problem - it's how it's used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the cgi looks cr@p , Mad Max was always about practical effects, honestly looks about on par with the AI generated trailers doing the rounds at the moment

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement