Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Slow Cooker/ Dry Beans/Chili

Options
  • 12-10-2020 5:30pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a slow cooker.
    I regularly cook chili,
    http://www.chilicookin.com/Recipes/Web/Arnolds.htm
    I use Kidney beans, but soak and cook beforehand.
    I cook the chili in a Le Crueset large size stock type pot.

OK.......If I cook my chili in my slow cooker for say 8 odd hours, can I add the kidney beans in,
    1. dry at the start or
    2.just soaked overnight or
    3.completely cooked?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd have said soak them and then cook them in the slow cooker from the start, because after all slow cookers were originally designed for cooking beans. Then I googled it, and it seems they're the only beans you can't cook in a slow cooker because if you cook them at less than boiling point they're toxic :eek:

https://www.allrecipes.com/article/kidney-beans-slow-cooker/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Thought about that after I posted alright.
    I'll pressure cooker them as I normally do then.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭con747

Tinned Kidney beans are already cooked so can be used.
    https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/beans-and-pulses-nutrition/
    Quote "Kidney beans contain a natural toxin called lectin. This can cause stomach aches and vomiting. The toxin is destroyed by proper cooking. Tinned kidney beans have already been cooked, so you can use them straight away."

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I’d always use tinned kidney beans in the slow cooker. Throw them in at the start and they still hold their texture by the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Soak and cook the beans beforehand. Kidney beans need fast boiling for at least 10 minutes to neutralise a toxin that they contain (lectin). The slow cooker does not heat to a high enough temperature for that purpose, but after 10 minutes boiling they are perfectly safe to add.

• Advertisement
Advertisement