Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apple Event - October 13th 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Shn99 wrote: »
    Very strange, If i was to buy one from amazon UK would it work normally here? Radio etc

A couple of people mentioned earlier they had a couple of HomePods. Anybody able to answer this question for me as well? I'll probably order from the Apple UK store if it works ok in Ireland without having to change regions or any of that headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

ah it would be an apple event thread without someone giving out about the us price and not adding on the tax..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

DubDJ wrote: »
    A couple of people mentioned earlier they had a couple of HomePods. Anybody able to answer this question for me as well? I'll probably order from the Apple UK store if it works ok in Ireland without having to change regions or any of that headache.

No region change required. Nothing is required actually, just your iOS device to set it up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

A lot of complaints about not going to usb-c, I honestly don’t remember the last time I plugged in my iPhone to change it - wireless charger beside the bed, one in the kitchen and one build into the car so just never need to.

It has nothing to do with charging your phone though. USB-C the standard now for all peripherals, as I'm sitting here I can plug my phone into my usb-c monitor and start using the keyboard and mouse connected to the monitor and use the phone like its a desktop. There are many many use cases for usb-c on a mobile device (which is exactly why apple have put it on the higher end iPads now), and there is no good reason Apple haven't put it on their phones other than the usual anti-consumer shíte.

FourFourFM wrote: »
    No region change required. Nothing is required actually, just your iOS device to set it up :)

Thanks for that, new HomePod mini in November I think. I have a few HomeKit devices now so glad to finally have a hub they can connect through for remote access too. That and the integration with the Apple ecosystem is an easy sell for me. If the sound is good I'll be happy but it will probably be mostly Podcasts and voice automation for me. I'll gladly pay a premium for the added privacy compared to the competition too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I have always went for the flagship model yeah. Not the larger Max/Plus models though, always too big for me. Same goes for this year, it's either the 12 or 12 Pro. Or don't buy one at all and hope for 120Hz in a year :eek:

OK, I had the same dilemma last year but just went with the 11 and don't regret it.
    It offers better value for money, same chip etc.

I personally don't think the Pro's have any dealbreaker or must have for the extra money they're asking.

I think the 11 was their biggest seller by far and I'm sure the 12 will be this year.

They dropped iOS 14.1 now as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Right and you’re factoring in that we pay 21% sales tax as the reason for the difference in prices?

Pre VAT: €643.85 current conversion rate $756

Not a major issue compared to $699

$699 + 9.5% (Around the highest in the states) - about $765 - EUR - 650

That's what they are paying in the states.

$699 / Eur 595 + 21% = Eur 719

So they are adding on another 100 for good measure.

0ph0rce0 wrote: »

You've answered the question yourself.

You've shown that US tax is 12.5% more here so why do you think they've just added on €100 when the difference is actually €69 as you have calculated?

murpho999 wrote: »
    OK, I had the same dilemma last year but just went with the 11 and don't regret it.
    It offers better value for money, same chip etc.

I personally don't think the Pro's have any dealbreaker or must have for the extra money they're asking.

I think the 11 was their biggest seller by far and I'm sure the 12 will be this year.

The larger lineup this year definitely makes things a lot more difficult. I agree though, the 11 and 12 models will be the biggest sellers by far. I think only those with a lot of disposable income or tech enthusiasts will be interested in the Pro models. I fall in the latter category unfortunately :P

• Advertisement

You've answered the question yourself.

You've shown that US tax is 12.5% more here so why do you think they've just added on €100?

When you add the figures up and add that extra 12.5% to the 9.5% or whatever to make it to 21% the price should convert to about 720 eur.

But it's just off 820 here, So that's 100 more expensive.

699 usd x 21 % = 845 usd / 719 eur

Unless i'm really stupid :confused:

The larger lineup this year definitely makes things a lot more difficult. I agree though, the 11 and 12 models will be the biggest sellers by far. I think only those with a lot of disposable income or tech enthusiasts will be interested in the Pro models. I fall in the latter category unfortunately :P

I'm an enthusiast too but circumstances dictate and I couldn't justify the extra cost for the pros. So went with the 11.

Been happy and can't think of any feature I've missed.

Now they're all OLEDs too. So the difference is even less.

I can't think of any time in the last year where I thought "Damn should have gone for the Pro".

Everyone is different of course.

They don’t set the tax prices.

Compare the base price before tax in both countries and the difference is $56 / €47

It’s a non-story every year on here.

They don’t set the tax prices.

Compare the base price before tax in both countries and the difference is $56 / €47

It’s a non-story every year on here.

So I am stupid , I see that now. So it's more like a fiddy dollar bill in the difference.

I'm an enthusiast too but circumstances dictate and I couldn't justify the extra cost for the pros. So went with the 11.

Been happy and can't think of any feature I've missed.

Now they're all OLEDs too. So the difference is even less.

I can't think of any time in the last year where I thought "Damn should have gone for the Pro".

Everyone is different of course.

Yeah I think this year the standard vs pro is even more diluted. I'm hoping a few reviewers got early access and can give first impressions before pre-orders go live.

Yeah I think this year the standard vs pro is even more diluted. I'm hoping a few reviewers got early access and can give first impressions before pre-orders go live.

I hope so too but if they go with how they did things last year (and previous years) the embargo will be up until a few days before release like the 21st October.

They might do it differently this time around seeing as the press couldn’t make the event. I’d like an MKBHD hands-on video of the 4 models.

When you add the figures up and add that extra 12.5% to the 9.5% or whatever to make it to 21% the price should convert to about 720 eur.

But it's just off 820 here, So that's 100 more expensive.

699 usd x 21 % = 845 usd / 719 eur

Unless i'm really stupid :confused:

Ok looking at it again, you're not that far out.

I calculate it this way.

Based on the 12 mini.

US Price Exc VAT = US$699
    IRE Price Exc VAT =€673 = US$790.

Difference is €91 but that always happens due to currency exchange (sometimes it's the other way, extra shipping etc.

Same with every product, not just Apple.

So looks like only US models will get the mm-wave 5G too.

https://twitter.com/flufffel/status/1316091014826938368

With the new MagSafe charger support on the iPhone I'm really surprised they didn't include reverse wireless charging for the AirPods. It was rumoured a while back but never came to the phone, now would be a perfect time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Missed the event

Anyone know what’s the difference between the 12 and 12 pro?

Not really bothered about the camera stuff

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement

Missed the event

Anyone know what’s the difference between the 12 and 12 pro?

Not really bothered about the camera stuff

https://www.apple.com/ie/iphone/compare/ is your best bet

Here's the comparison between the iPhone 12 / 12 Pro / 12 Pro Max.

https://www.apple.com/ie/iphone/compare/?device1=iphone12promax&device2=iphone12pro&device3=iphone12

Seems like the 12 vs 12 Pro has slightly improved (and extra) camera with LIDAR. And the max screen brightness is 625 nits vs 800 nits. Portrait night mode is another difference.

The 12 Pro vs 12 Pro max is more nuanced, with differences in optical zoom and image stabilisation.

Glad the differences between the 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max aren't major.

Also, the 12 starts at 64GB of storage, it's an extra €50 to go up to 128GB.

Side by side, it's roughly €200 difference between the 12 Pro and 12 with 128GB storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Here's the comparison between the iPhone 12 / 12 Pro / 12 Pro Max.

https://www.apple.com/ie/iphone/compare/?device1=iphone12promax&device2=iphone12pro&device3=iphone12

Seems like the 12 vs 12 Pro has slightly improved (and extra) camera with LIDAR. And the max screen brightness is 625 nits vs 800 nits. Portrait night mode is another difference.

The 12 Pro vs 12 Pro max is more nuanced, with differences in optical zoom and image stabilisation.

Glad the differences between the 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max aren't major.

Also, the 12 starts at 64GB of storage, it's an extra €50 to go up to 128GB.

Side by side, it's roughly €200 difference between the 12 Pro and 12 with 128GB storage.

Thanks. So for me, as one not too concerned about camera.. the 12 seems suitable

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Looking at the pricing.
    The 12 is now €915 and I'm pretty sure last year's equivalent was €799 when launched last year.

Am I correct?

If so then that's a serious price hike.

Looking at the pricing.
    The 12 is now €915 and I'm pretty sure last year's equivalent was €799 when launched last year.

Am I correct?

€829 I think. Still a fair jump.

Looking at the pricing.

Am I correct?

Bringing the Mini into the equation seems to have caused that. Not too bad considering the upgrades this phone has got in terms of OLED display and 5G.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Are we going to get HomePod minis in Ireland? Didn’t get the HomePod did we? They look great

TXPTGR1 wrote: »
    Are we going to get HomePod minis in Ireland? Didn’t get the HomePod did we? They look great

Doesn’t look like it at all. Can be purchased through U.K. store for delivery with Parcel Motel or alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Doesn’t look like it at all. Can be purchased through U.K. store for delivery with Parcel Motel or alternatives.

What’s the reason?

• Advertisement

See the Homepod Mini is €96.50 on German site.

Cheaper than expected.

Link

It's also in UK, Spain, France, China and Australia.

Isn't that more countries than the original Homepod? So maybe they're rolling them out in different countries?

Advertisement