Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scotty Cameron

• 08-10-2020 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I’m in the market over the next couple of months for a retirement gift for my father. I used to play regularly but have been out of the loop for some time, particularly in terms of equipment. I would have thought the Scotty Cameron range is the “classic” choice of putter albeit with a hefty markup for the name. Is that still the case or are there other brands I should consider? He uses an oldish odyssey 2 ball putter at the moment so a mallet style head is the way to go I think, looking at this one; https://www.mcguirksgolf.com/p/scotty-cameron-special-select-flowback-55-putter-gents-rh/p-sc20c0507scflowback55puttergentsrh

There’s a good chance he won’t even use it to be honest as he generally likes to pick out his own stuff so I’d probably just get it in McGuirks and keep the receipt so he can go in and swap it if he doesn’t like it.

I know there is probably better value elsewhere but it has to be a sort of unique gift if that makes sense. Would appreciate your thoughts/suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

Hi all. I’m in the market over the next couple of months for a retirement gift for my father. I used to play regularly but have been out of the loop for some time, particularly in terms of equipment. I would have thought the Scotty Cameron range is the “classic” choice of putter albeit with a hefty markup for the name. Is that still the case or are there other brands I should consider? He uses an oldish odyssey 2 ball putter at the moment so a mallet style head is the way to go I think, looking at this one; https://www.mcguirksgolf.com/p/scotty-cameron-special-select-flowback-55-putter-gents-rh/p-sc20c0507scflowback55puttergentsrh

There’s a good chance he won’t even use it to be honest as he generally likes to pick out his own stuff so I’d probably just get it in McGuirks and keep the receipt so he can go in and swap it if he doesn’t like it.

I know there is probably better value elsewhere but it has to be a sort of unique gift if that makes sense. Would appreciate your thoughts/suggestions.

More important than the mallet style head is the toe-hang. Most of the 2-balls are face balanced, the putter you're looking at isn't. Find out if his is face-balanced or not and match that and the length anyway in the model you choose. The Odysseey Toulons are worth a look if you want to buy in McGuirk's, but they are also expensive.

TBH, a putter is something that is very hit and miss. No chance you could sit him down and tell him you are going to buy it either way? That you want him to choose it and if he doesn't, you'll only be guessing. And even if you make a great choice, it just mightn't suit his eye. So he'll be getting a new putter, either your choice or his. If he agrees, they will also custom fit the putter for him in McGuirk's at no extra cost.

Good luck with it anyway, nice gift for your Dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

newport2 wrote: »
    More important than the mallet style head is the toe-hang. Most of the 2-balls are face balanced, the putter you're looking at isn't. Find out if his is face-balanced or not and match that and the length anyway in the model you choose. The Odysseey Toulons are worth a look if you want to buy in McGuirk's, but they are also expensive.

TBH, a putter is something that is very hit and miss. No chance you could sit him down and tell him you are going to buy it either way? That you want him to choose it and if he doesn't, you'll only be guessing. And even if you make a great choice, it just mightn't suit his eye. So he'll be getting a new putter, either your choice or his. If he agrees, they will also custom fit the putter for him in McGuirk's at no extra cost.

Good luck with it anyway, nice gift for your Dad.

Oh yeah I know I agree with you 100% around the putter and I don't even expect him to take it out of the packaging to be honest. I've bought him Drivers, wedges etc. in the past and he's always gone up to them himself to pick out one himself. Learned early on to always keep receipts, its a personal thing though so makes sense. I'd be the same.

I didn't realise McGuirks would custom fit it like that, figured it would be an extra cost. Literally the only reason I'm thinking of buying it myself is the surprise element of just handing it to him, plus if I told him in advance I was spending that much on it he'd refuse it.

But now you've mentioned about the fitting I might just tell him I'm bringing him off for the day and land him up to McGuirks to pick out one he likes. Covid is kind of throwing a spanner in the works at the moment with that but if it eases up a bit later on I think that could be the way to go.

I'm wondering if I drop them a mail and say if he keeps it in the packaging unused can he drive up some day when the restrictions ease off and get fitted? Probably asking too much there to be fair to them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Christ the price of that :eek:

I’m a bit out of the loop because I haven’t bought one in a long time, but didn’t SC putters used to retail around €280-300?

fullstop wrote: »
    Christ the price of that :eek:

I’m a bit out of the loop because I haven’t bought one in a long time, but didn’t SC putters used to retail around €280-300?

Got a shock myself when I started looking into it, would have been around €200-250 when I was last a member somewhere which is only around 10ish years ago. I'm only 33 and recall the early Odyssey putters being "expensive" at €150 :D

All sports equipment has gone way up in price to be fair but its mad.

The scottys price seems to be in line with where they sit in the ranges though I see some Taylor Made and Odyssey putters aren't far off them in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

A voucher for one of the fitting places like Foregolf might be better. As he may not know the answers to the questions posed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

If you plays the 2-ball now, you could just look at the new stroke-lab 2-ball, with those ERC triple track lines.

https://www.odysseygolf.com/triple-track/putters-2020-triple-track-2-ball.html

If you plays the 2-ball now, you could just look at the new stroke-lab 2-ball, with those ERC triple track lines.

https://www.odysseygolf.com/triple-track/putters-2020-triple-track-2-ball.html

Thanks for the suggestion and I'd say if I left him to it he'd probably pick something like that out but given the circumstances I'd like to get him something a bit "special" if that makes sense and as lovely as that club is I think the price and brand of the scotty makes them a bit more unique.

I think I'm leaning towards just bringing him up to McGuirks to get fitted and let him pick out exactly what he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭big_drive

There's a company in UK www.sinkgolf.co.uk

They do personalised putters. Can add whatever colour, text, etc you want. They're in around £220 so even with a bit of customising and converting to Euro you'd still be in at under €300 and have something a bit unique and bit more of a "special" personal touch to it

They look pretty good quality too and well made

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Skyfloater

Just an idea, but that kind of money will get you two green fees plus an overnight/dinner in any of the top ten courses in the country.
    Your dad may well appreciate an afternoon on a top course with his son, than a shiny new club that probably return anyway.

Skyfloater wrote: »
    Just an idea, but that kind of money will get you two green fees plus an overnight/dinner in any of the top ten courses in the country.
    Your dad may well appreciate an afternoon on a top course with his son, than a shiny new club that probably return anyway.

Had thought about that as well but with the restrictions in place and likely to continue into the next year at least in some format I'm not sure about it. Food for thought though, thanks.

The restrictions are making everything a bit trickier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Kermouster

If he has the 2 ball putter and hes happy with it ,i would get him a more upto date version,but would go for something with a superstroke grip or thicker grip.He might see the benefits too if he is struggling with hes putting.If hes good with the putter than a Scottys great,the anser style is a great putter , were you have the option of changing the weights in the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

What handicap does your father play off and would he be considered a good/confident/bad putter? Also what part of the country?

A putter is a very personal thing for many and some are happy with/confident using what they have and should be left alone while others like myself are always looking for the "one". I used a two ball for many years, a great putter, and still have it but have changed to a Scotty fastback (like you have in mind) for the past few years. Both have a very different feel but are equally as good in my experience with many low handicap golfers using a two ball, Lowry and Harringtom included. The two ball is much lighter and as said in another post is face balanced which suits a straight back/through stroke whereas the Scotty fast back suits a stroke with a slight arc.. The Scotty is around €400 but is superbly made, most of stainless steel and if treated well will last forever. Some putters have a painted finish which does not like bumps and bangs and will deteriorate quickly if not looked after well.

If you think your father would like a new putter for me the idea of a voucher for a putter with fitting would appeal. Maybe someone could comment of their experience of a putter fitting in the likes of McGuirkes, Foregolf, Michael Kavanagh in Stackstown (who seems to have a great putter fitting setup) or others.

The likes of a fourball with you and two other significant golfing friends on a good course would be memorable. The likes of Portmarnock, Baltray, Island and others are doing deals at the moment. Ballybunion, Tralee and others are also involved in stay and play deals which are also good but will depend on Covid status and your location.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭NotCarrotRidge

Would you consider something a bit more unique, like the Irish made Aidhm putter? It's from the 2019 European clubmaker of the year and had outperformed the major brands in testing. You could take a spin down to Tramore for fitting and you might even find something else to do while you're there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

As highlighted above with the mention of Aidhm there are far more options for high end putters than simply Scotty Cameron's OTR.

A number of other brands exist such as Logan Olson, Cody James, Lamb Crafted, One7 Engineering, Swag, Bettinardi, Piretti, Axis & Jayme Coggins.

Perhaps you might pick up an older Scotty or other brand and have it customised by Chris Finch.

Now many of the aforementioned brands are extremely expensive and one would certainly question the sanity of someone willing to pay the price on some of them but if you're set on getting a high end putter then I think you could cast the net a little wider than Scotty Cameron.

bmay529 wrote: »
    What handicap does your father play off and would he be considered a good/confident/bad putter? Also what part of the country?

A putter is a very personal thing for many and some are happy with/confident using what they have and should be left alone while others like myself are always looking for the "one". I used a two ball for many years, a great putter, and still have it but have changed to a Scotty fastback (like you have in mind) for the past few years. Both have a very different feel but are equally as good in my experience with many low handicap golfers using a two ball, Lowry and Harringtom included. The two ball is much lighter and as said in another post is face balanced which suits a straight back/through stroke whereas the Scotty fast back suits a stroke with a slight arc.. The Scotty is around €400 but is superbly made, most of stainless steel and if treated well will last forever. Some putters have a painted finish which does not like bumps and bangs and will deteriorate quickly if not looked after well.

If you think your father would like a new putter for me the idea of a voucher for a putter with fitting would appeal. Maybe someone could comment of their experience of a putter fitting in the likes of McGuirkes, Foregolf, Michael Kavanagh in Stackstown (who seems to have a great putter fitting setup) or others.

The likes of a fourball with you and two other significant golfing friends on a good course would be memorable. The likes of Portmarnock, Baltray, Island and others are doing deals at the moment. Ballybunion, Tralee and others are also involved in stay and play deals which are also good but will depend on Covid status and your location.

Thanks for the response. He's playing off around 17ish and has hovered anywhere form 15-19 for the last decade or so. I think he is fairly happy with the 2 ball but he's also quite reluctant to change equipment anyway regardless of how will he's getting on with them. He held onto an R9 Taylor driver that to my eyes he struggled with but he was adamant it suited him. Only reason he changed was we went for a round abroad a year or two back and he rented a set with an M2 driver in it which he bombed around the course no bother.

I'm not 100% set on a Scotty Cameron really, its just I would have always associated the brand as being the "elite" of putters if that makes sense. I appreciate I'm not up to speed on what's out there now so clearly there are probably loads of alternatives which are just as good.

The voucher idea is probably what I will go with, or might just arrange to bring him up some day myself. If I gave him the voucher he'd probably come home with some rain gear :D

I think I will get him out for a round when/if Covid subsides next year but in the short term (next 3-4 months) I can't see us getting out anywhere to be honest and would rather have him get the use of a club for that period anyway. That said who knows when we'll be able to get to a McGuirks. Naas is probably nearest us but chances of our county (Carlow) and Kildare both having the same restriction seems unlikely anytime soon and I won't chance it until its allowed.
    Would you consider something a bit more unique, like the Irish made Aidhm putter? It's from the 2019 European clubmaker of the year and had outperformed the major brands in testing. You could take a spin down to Tramore for fitting and you might even find something else to do while you're there...

Yes, I very much would consider that. Never heard of that brand so thanks for the heads up.
    As highlighted above with the mention of Aidhm there are far more options for high end putters than simply Scotty Cameron's OTR.

A number of other brands exist such as Logan Olson, Cody James, Lamb Crafted, One7 Engineering, Swag, Bettinardi, Piretti, Axis & Jayme Coggins.

Perhaps you might pick up an older Scotty or other brand and have it customised by Chris Finch.

Now many of the aforementioned brands are extremely expensive and one would certainly question the sanity of someone willing to pay the price on some of them but if you're set on getting a high end putter then I think you could cast the net a little wider than Scotty Cameron.

Don't know any of those brands at all aside from Bettinardi :o I'll have a look into them, are they available for fitting in Ireland? Not sure how expensive they are but if they seem worth it to me I don't really mind going over my budget. Its a one off after all.

Don't know any of those brands at all aside from Bettinardi :o I'll have a look into them, are they available for fitting in Ireland? Not sure how expensive they are but if they seem worth it to me I don't really mind going over my budget. Its a one off after all.

No fitting to my knowledge in Ireland for the aforementioned brands. Swag was fitted by Drive Golf Performance in Cork but I don't believe they do it anymore.

American Golf did stock Bettinardi but unsure if they do anymore. Their Queen B range is very nice though and similar price to Scotty.

Aidhm may be your best bet for something more esoteric, shop local and certainly suggests that it's engineered for a practical purpose while the others appeal may be more aesthetic.
    That said, I've used quite a few of the aforementioned brands and the newer OTR Scotty's aren't quite as nice imo.

Plenty of choice no matter what route you go down.

Logan Olson and Tyson Lamb (Lamb Crafted) you're talking thousands and a long waiting list. Beautiful putters, but......

I've had a couple made by Lajosi, they are excellent. You can design them yourself if you want and the turnaround can vary, but generally 2-3 months.

Probably not the road to go down if you don't think he'll use it though. I gladly have bought one for my Dad though, knowing I would inherit it :D

Logan Olson and Tyson Lamb (Lamb Crafted) you're talking thousands and a long waiting list. Beautiful putters, but......

Lamb is in the thousands no matter what you get used or new but unless you're getting a very much customised Olson, you're not talking thousands.

I picked one up during his Flash Sale which happen somewhat regularly for slightly more than a Scotty.

Lamb is in the thousands no matter what you get used or new but unless you're getting a very much customised Olson, you're not talking thousands.

I picked one up during his Flash Sale which happen somewhat regularly for slightly more than a Scotty.

OK, I stand corrected so. I've only looked at his custom ones, I know someone who spent the guts of 2k on one. Nice catch in his flash sale, I'm sure it's a nice putter!

OK, I stand corrected so. I've only looked at his custom ones, I know someone who spent the guts of 2k on one. Nice catch in his flash sale, I'm sure it's a nice putter!

Its nice but tbh I ignored some advice when I was told he was getting into a little more mass production and given its price point, I'd probably return if the option was available.

Those 2k putters from him certainly exist and maybe that's where he shines but I certainly couldn't justify one.

You want an Olson? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

If he is happy with his own putter don't change, buy him something else

How about buying a second-hand exact model of your Dad's putter and getting it refurbished? You can get some really nice finishes and a personalised stamping on it, his name or a message, or a saying he likes, something like that. Would cost you less than a new Scotty and would be something unique and personal. And he should be able to putt with it.

Some great suggestions in here, thanks to everyone who replied. I sussed him out a little bit during the week and his retirement is a little bit further away than he had expected, mainly due to covid and the difficulty in handing over to his replacement remotely. I have a bit of time now so I'm going to hold off and hope that the golf shops are open in the next couple of months at some stage and bring him up to pick out a club of his choice. I'm not sure I want to force a putter on him now so I think I'll just pick him up some weekend and bring him to a shop and let him have at it and see what he picks out for himself rather than saying I've bought you this putter.

Newport2, you're suggestion of refurbishing his current putter is a great one and I might look at doing that separately if he doesn't end up going for a new putter.

Advertisement