Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Budget 2021

• 10-10-2020 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if there is on any impact to CC tax rates for pre co2 tax bands?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Myself I think they will do a 5-10% across the board increase with perhaps full electric vehicles left alone.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Its the greens who are in charge of the Transport ministry AGAIN.

Expect them to **** it up like they last time telling us all to buy diesels.

There will be big taxes put on these diesels now and probably petrol as well.

Electric will probably receive incentives despite us not having the infrastructure for an all electric car park.

They don't even have a real mandate just a nod and wink agreement with FG and FF just to keep the shinners out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

All the media reports as per your post are on diesel and co2. I'm interested in any changes to the old cc rates, esp the top cc bracket if anyone knows? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

While I completely agree that the Greens love making the lives of motorists miserable, taxation rates are actually decided by the Minister for Finance (which is controlled by Fine Gael).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just announced:

Minister Donohoe says VRT reliefs for Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles and hybrids will be allowed to expire and relief for Battery Electric Vehicles to be tapered.

The Nitrogen Oxide surcharge bands are being adjusted so that higher NOx emitting vehicles will pay more.

On Motor Tax, rates will remain unchanged for all cars in the engine sized regime and all but the most pollutant cars in the post-2008 regime.

A third Motor Tax table for cars registered from 1 January 2021 is being opened to take account of the introduction of the WLTP emissions test.

So there will be a 3 tier motor tax system now instead of 2!

• Advertisement

Hopefully they class 'most polluting cars' as something sensible like 170 g/km of CO2 or over.

How many "most polluting cars" are here that are on post 2008 rates?

• Administrators Posts: 53,125 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

https://twitter.com/RTEbusiness/status/1315996875087065093

I guess this will see the price of fuel rise at the pumps. Anyone able to work out by how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I wish they'd just say "income for the exchequer" in place of "to combat climate change"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭saabsaab

They fluffed it. Should have brought in one system to cover all. based on the amount of fossil fuel you burn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

awec wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/RTEbusiness/status/1315996875087065093

I guess this will see the price of fuel rise at the pumps. Anyone able to work out by how much?

Think it adds 7 cents a litre.

that's not bad sure a trump tweet could swing the price by that much

Fuel is at a low price at the moment. It’ll surely go back to near what it was once demand picks up globally.
    Not so long ago it was €1.50 a litre.

The reason fuel prices are low is because of the global market price and low demand during Covid, not because taxes on it are low. If the logic used to increase taxes when the market price is low then surely the same logic should be used to reduce it when the market price is high but anyone with half a brain in their head knows that won't happen.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Fuel is at a low price at the moment. It’ll surely go back to near what it was once demand picks up globally.

Yes petrol was a few cent off €1.50 in January this year.

I agree that they should work out the average that car tax is per car (ie; the average tax paid might be, i dunno, €382.51, for example). Round it off (upwards, obviously) and just charge every car €400. Doesn't matter when it was made, what kind of engine, and get rid of the whole complicated system that comes with it. If you drive a 7ltr american import, then you'll pay more at the pump anyway, than Mary in her .9ltr micra. All evens out.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The reason fuel prices are low is because of the global market price and low demand during Covid, not because taxes on it are low. If the logic used to increase taxes when the market price is low then surely the same logic should be used to reduce it when the market price is high but anyone with half a brain in their head knows that won't happen.

My point is that we won’t notice 7c now but it’ll hurt more when it goes back up

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Birka

Last year, petrol went up 1.7 cent a litre and diesel went up 2 cent a litre after a €6 increase in carbon tax. This €7.50 increase in carbon tax won't result in increases much more than last year's

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Birka wrote: »
    Last year, petrol went up 1.7 cent a litre and diesel went up 2 cent a litre after a €6 increase in carbon tax. This €7.50 increase in carbon tax won't result in increases much more than last year's

I went looking for this myself. Spot on.

With differences of as much as 10 to 12c a litre on both fuels between different fuel stations that I have seen in Dublin, this won't make that much of a difference to anyone.

I also applaud the Ministers' decisions to end HEV and BEV incentives and to introduce a WLTP emissions based Motor Tax rate for 2021+ cars. This will give absolute clarity to real world costs to change and operate for consumers seeking to make an educated decision for their motoring needs.

It also does not penalise the likes of me who invested in a diesel vehicle when it was highly encouraged by previous Govt policies and who will happily change over to a hybrid option when I change cars next.

Glad they levelled the playing field with hybrids.

• Advertisement

I agree that they should work out the average that car tax is per car (ie; the average tax paid might be, i dunno, €382.51, for example). Round it off (upwards, obviously) and just charge every car €400. Doesn't matter when it was made, what kind of engine, and get rid of the whole complicated system that comes with it. If you drive a 7ltr american import, then you'll pay more at the pump anyway, than Mary in her .9ltr micra. All evens out.

€382.51

That part made me laugh. Not that it's wrong or anything, just so specific!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭hawkwing

This will add €1.28 to the cost of a 60-litre tank of petrol or €1.47 to the same amount of diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Capra

Hopefully they class 'most polluting cars' as something sensible like 170 g/km of CO2 or over.

That is basically every single desirable car on sale. Say goodbye to things as humble as a Fiesta ST or a Golf GTI. Don't every dream of doing even remotely well for yourself and buying an AMG or M car to reward yourself for your toil.

Just to put this into perspective, according to statistics on this only 0.07% of new cars fall into the highest co2 tax bracket. It's basically ensuring only the very wealthy can have a nice car. It really is totally against the spirit of striving to achieve something for yourself. There is no environmental benefit to this. Its just miserable begredugery.

I was hoping to buy a Yaris GR4 next January. This has almost certainly made them completely unattainable. It was already going to be a 50k+ car on the old system.

My point is that we won’t notice 7c now but it’ll hurt more when it goes back up

Oh I know, it wasn't aimed at you.

I was more making my point to those who were in favor of increasing it because it's currently low. Are they equally in favor of reducing it when the market price goes up again based on the logic they are using? We all know the tax won't be reduced on it when the market price is high.

I'd say the majority of those wealthy elite probably don't even register their high end cars here and who would blame them.

and those who do, they are probably pool cars. it's very silly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Have they published the new vrt or car tax rates yet?
    Will be interesting to hear SIMI reaction.

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Will be interesting to hear SIMI reaction.

Let me ruin it for you. SIMI will be very disappointed

Conor Faughnan, spokesperson on everything will go into a bit spiel.

Then we will forget about it til next year.

pearse doherty is after saying there's an increase in motor tax on older cars.

Is someone going to tell him they haven't touched those rates?

• Advertisement

pearse doherty is after saying there's an increase in motor tax on older cars.

Is someone going to tell him they haven't touched those rates?

Are the CC rates untouched? Trying to find out what the new rates are here but not sure if they are released yet.

Advertisement