Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Budget 2021 - EV tax and incentive changes

• 13-10-2020 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,802 ✭✭✭✭

So it looks like motor tax and vrt are on the hook to be reformed today. The general consensus seems to be that ICE vehicles will be hit hard but I reckon EVs won't get out unscathed either.

Anyone want to take a guess at what will happen?

Here's my predictions based on the paper released last month

SEAI grants will remain unchanged, maybe taper the grant above cars valued €50k or more

Motor tax cut to €100 per year

VRT rate of 7% for EVs with the €5k rebate to be tapered above €40k omsp to nothing at €50k.

So I'd be expecting higher value EVs to shoot up in price by several grand. 7% on top of €50k gives a tax of €3500. Under the old regime this would have been €2000, a €1500 increase

Mod Edit: Kcross put together a table with the VRT changes https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114945857&postcount=145

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭eagerv

So it looks like motor tax and vrt are on the hook to be reformed today. The general consensus seems to be that ICE vehicles will be hit hard but I reckon EVs won't get out unscathed either.

Anyone want to take a guess at what will happen?

Here's my predictions based on the paper released last month

SEAI grants will remain unchanged, maybe taper the grant above cars valued €50k or more

Motor tax cut to €100 per year

VRT rate of 7% for EVs with the €5k rebate to be tapered above €40k omsp to nothing at €50k.

So I'd be expecting higher value EVs to shoot up in price by several grand. 7% on top of €50k gives a tax of €3500. Under the old regime this would have been €2000, a €1500 increase

I think anyone who already owns a higher price EV will be happy enough..
    I cannot see them hitting diesel drivers hard, probably add 2Cents or less per litre and make a big thing of it.:)
    Cheaper EVs will probably be a bit cheaper (I definitely bought the wrong time..:))

• Registered Users Posts: 10,802 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

eagerv wrote: »
    I think anyone who already owns a higher price EV will be happy enough..
    I cannot see them hitting diesel drivers hard, probably add 2Cents or less per litre and make a big thing of it.:)
    Cheaper EVs will probably be a bit cheaper (I definitely bought the wrong time..:))

I think I should probably have waited before ordering an ID.4 :(

I'd say they'll hit VRT but also introduce some 'temporary' reliefs which they can get rid of at any time, so the impact will be minimised.

It's easier politically to get rid of reliefs and grants than to raise taxes

Well looks like Paschal is in full swing. Lets see what he's come up with

RTE player is of course failing every 2 seconds but oireachtas tv is working fine
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/oireachtas-tv/oireachtas-tv-channel/

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Regarding vet relief.
    Tapered relief for bev.
    No relief for phev, it will just expire.

So it looks like VRT relief on PHEVs and Hybrids will be stopped and relief on BEVs will be tapered.

According to Paschal, given the lower rate there will be almost no impact. Need to see the calculations before I'll believe that.

New motor tax rates based on WLTP from next year, without the rate bands we don't know how this will impact EVs but possibly a reduction is in order

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Looks like no extension for the BIK scheme for company cars?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

A third Motor Tax table for cars registered from 1 January 2021 is being opened to take account of the introduction of the WLTP emissions test.

I take it that's new 2021 registered BEV Motor Tax reduced to 0 then?????? :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I'm going to stake out a prediction here — the expiration of VRT relief for BEVs will see a reduction in BEV prices from dealers.

So it looks like VRT relief on PHEVs and Hybrids will be stopped and relief on BEVs will be tapered.

According to Paschal, given the lower rate there will be almost no impact. Need to see the calculations before I'll believe that.

New motor tax rates based on WLTP from next year, without the rate bands we don't know how this will impact EVs but possibly a reduction is in order

Reduction in EV motor tax? Can't imagine that. It's only €120 already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭baldshin

Free in the UK....we can hope!

• Advertisement

According to the paper published it could be reduced to €100. Still waiting to see if that happens

https://assets.gov.ie/86999/d525b314-3751-4936-83b8-5084fe6e4263.pdf

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

€20 off, hardly a meaningful incentive:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

It'll be ridiculous if they drop all incentives for PHEVs. Hybrids are just a natural improvement of traditional ICE engines. PHEVs, used well, can really help reduce emissions & act as a stepping stone towards full BEV, for sceptics.

A 400hp PHEV that can run all week commuting, with near zero emissions, shouldn't be disincentivised at this point, until I've gotten my new X5 45e :D.

According to the paper published it could be reduced to €100. Still waiting to see if that happens

https://assets.gov.ie/86999/d525b314-3751-4936-83b8-5084fe6e4263.pdf

Between that €20 and the €60 I'll get back with the working from home tax claim I might just treat myself to a weeks shop.

slave1 wrote: »

Less an incentive from the reduction, more just widening the gap between EVs and ICEVs

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I can hear Tesla, VW, Hyundai, Kia and all the rest ramping up production of RHD cars as we speak.....

I'll take it an enjoy my takeaway :D

Kramer wrote: »
    ICE engines

Drive your ICE engine to the ATM machine where you enter your PIN number :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

When do they actually publish the figures? This evening?

MJohnston wrote: »
    I'm going to stake out a prediction here — the expiration of VRT relief for BEVs will see a reduction in BEV prices from dealers.

It's based on OMSP, so it'd make sense for dealers to drop the price on marginal cars around the €40k mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It's a gesture, diesel and petrol go up, EV tax goes down.
    Maybe it will make people think.

Wasn't mentioned but the ACA scheme will continue

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It still has two years to run. They won't look at it until at least next year, or more likely in October 2022 when we'll all then have 6 weeks to get rid of our EVs before they completely gouge us for BIK.

JPA wrote: »
    It's a gesture, diesel and petrol go up, EV tax goes down.
    Maybe it will make people think.

Largely yes, they're trying to incentivise people to move over and get away from grants & rebates. I'm guessing the VRT move is part of that

Also, EVs often come under fire for giving taxpayer money to high end EV owners. Tapering the relief above a value makes sense in this case. I'd prefer if they'd picked a higher number, more like €50k, as many longer range EVs are priced above this value (also, because I'm selfish :D)

It still has two years to run. They won't look at it until at least next year, or more likely in October 2022 when we'll all then have 6 weeks to get rid of our EVs before they completely gouge us for BIK.

Better to get an EV now so it's worthless from a BIK standpoint by 2022 then

Slaanesh wrote: »
    When do they actually publish the figures? This evening?

I'm hoping so, want to get this over and done with

The proposed rate for EVs is 7% of OMSP, we'll see if that was the one they went with

• Registered Users Posts: 8,685 ✭✭✭CoBo55

MJohnston wrote: »
    Drive your ICE engine to the ATM machine where you enter your PIN number :pac:

While charging with AC current...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I'm trying to get a Model 3 in Jan 2021. This could spur me to get one sooner, depending on the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

price of petrol and diesel going up also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

copeyhagen wrote: »
    price of petrol and diesel going up also?

It is from the carbon tax.

Advertisement