Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

castleknock 5 day

• 01-10-2020 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

Hi. Know this has been discussed recently enough but would like to get some perspective from members about the 5 day option...have heard very hard to get out on a Sunday

Am usually free to play on a Wednesday or Friday afternoon. Is it easy enough to get out those days and would there be generally enough members playing that I could get my card marked? (playing a couple of years but my current club is dead mid-week)

Know Tuesday is competition day, but that rarely suits

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Hi Ryder,

I’m a 5 day flexi member in Castleknock. I joined in May.
    I found it very easy to find a slot with members who could mark your card. Sometimes it was a 3 ball and you would have to go out with them. As long as you’re ok with that you will be fine.

I don’t really golf on the weekends so I can’t comment on the availability. All I do know is I tried to book it once but the app wouldn’t let me as it knows I’m a 5 day member.

My membership got organised by a guy called Barry from Carr Golf and he told me to contact him if I ever want to play on the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

thanks for the reply....seems weekends very hard to get out on, almost need to be sitting on the BRS the second it opens to get out on a sunday morning

played last week and enjoyed the course - tricky, but playable. it was busy the day I played (Tuesday open) but got 9 in in 2 hours

if easy enough at short notice to get out on a Wednesday or Thursday, Ill sign up. 3 balls etc wouldn't bother me much.....much better than playing on your own

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

The majority of courses at the moment is impossible to get out at weekends. Over 50 on the waiting list in our place now on Saturday & Sundays

The majority of courses at the moment is impossible to get out at weekends. Over 50 on the waiting list in our place now on Saturday & Sundays

I think the ability of 1 person to book a line of 4 makes the problems worse and must be incredibly frustrating. surely allowing only 1 booking per person would give everyone else more chances and allow people to meet more members

• Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Ryder wrote: »
    thanks for the reply....seems weekends very hard to get out on, almost need to be sitting on the BRS the second it opens to get out on a sunday morning

Firstly you won’t be using BRS. It’s Chronogolf and it’s the worst booking system imaginable.
    Having said that, it’s not that difficult to get a game at the weekend. It’s busy, but if you are ready to book you will probably get down, but failing that, there is always last minute drop outs.
    There is no waiting list.
    Problem is that the comps are early and finish by 11ish.....which is daft considering the number of members.

Midweek comps Tuesday and Thursday, though they tend not to tell you to much about the Thursday comps!

Any why do you need your card marked if you are already in a club? Have you never gotten your handicap there?

Members are all pretty decent and if you do want to find someone to play with you probably will. It’s probably harder to go out on your own at the moment!

Enjoy though, it’s a good club, nice course.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

i just hand someone 100 euro and i get on
    when the next three player team starts

Seve OB wrote: »
    Firstly you won’t be using BRS. It’s Chronogolf and it’s the worst booking system imaginable.
    Having said that, it’s not that difficult to get a game at the weekend. It’s busy, but if you are ready to book you will probably get down, but failing that, there is always last minute drop outs.
    There is no waiting list.
    Problem is that the comps are early and finish by 11ish.....which is daft considering the number of members.

Midweek comps Tuesday and Thursday, though they tend not to tell you to much about the Thursday comps!

Any why do you need your card marked if you are already in a club? Have you never gotten your handicap there?

Members are all pretty decent and if you do want to find someone to play with you probably will. It’s probably harder to go out on your own at the moment!

Enjoy though, it’s a good club, nice course.

Thanks. Actually signed up for 5 day. Everyone dead sound so far.

I got a ridiculous handicap when I started 2 years ago and have improved a little but due to me only playing midweek, and my last club being empty mid week, I haven't been able to put cards in to get a lower hc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Part of, if not the biggest problem in Castleknock are societies. Sat Sun members are given approx 3 hours for comps, then timesheet seems to be rammed with societies.

Ryder wrote: »
    Thanks. Actually signed up for 5 day. Everyone dead sound so far.

I got a ridiculous handicap when I started 2 years ago and have improved a little but due to me only playing midweek, and my last club being empty mid week, I haven't been able to put cards in to get a lower hc.

I just rejoined. Scratch what I said above :rolleyes: seems very difficult to get on now, I was trying to play last Saturday or Sunday. Got lucky at the 11th hour and got a spot on Sunday at 12:30. A tortuous 4:40 round. Can’t get my name down at all for next weekend.
    Been trying to get on for tomorrow and again got lucky the other night when a spot came free. I see a couple more just came free now, but it’s booked solid.
    No waiting list is a pain in the butt. A bigger kick in the teeth was that next Sunday is medal and was 3 balls, filled up instantly, I was 30 mins or so late as I forgot that booking was going live. So I keep checking if a spot comes free. Now it’s four balls and all full, still no room for me :(

You have to be sitting on the booking it seems once it goes live.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭blue note

Can you play on weekends with a 5 day membership?

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    I just rejoined. Scratch what I said above :rolleyes: seems very difficult to get on now, I was trying to play last Saturday or Sunday. Got lucky at the 11th hour and got a spot on Sunday at 12:30. A tortuous 4:40 round. Can’t get my name down at all for next weekend.
    Been trying to get on for tomorrow and again got lucky the other night when a spot came free. I see a couple more just came free now, but it’s booked solid.
    No waiting list is a pain in the butt. A bigger kick in the teeth was that next Sunday is medal and was 3 balls, filled up instantly, I was 30 mins or so late as I forgot that booking was going live. So I keep checking if a spot comes free. Now it’s four balls and all full, still no room for me :(

You have to be sitting on the booking it seems once it goes live.

Nightmare trying to get on timesheet at weekends, it is also getting harder to get a game midweek.

blue note wrote: »
    Can you play on weekends with a 5 day membership?

Yeah, not sure if you can play in the comp times though.

not yet wrote: »
    Yeah, not sure if you can play in the comp times though.

Not sure you can even book a slot. I moved from 5 day to full before chronogolf came in so not sure that it allows it anymore.

I think that 5 days pay an extra 5bucks (maybe 10) for weekend play.

Heard a huge amount of members have left and gone to Luttrellstown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Where did you hear this, the car park is packed with the same cars every week.

From members up there

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Tescosfinest

Unfortunately the big problem up there at present is Carr golf's love of dollar bills, there is a thousand members there now and the members comps on Saturday are closed at 11:30 to facilitate societies, it's a joke but golf is so popular at the moment that members leaving is not a problem as there is a waiting list of members more than willing to part with their €1600

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Members comps are definitely an issue, time needs to be given to extend these and give more people the option to get on the timesheets. Even an hour longer gives 24 members a game on saturday and sunday.

I can see why some people would leave to be honest if they cant get a game after being a member for a while. The rumored loss of members is clearly being mitigated with the uptick in memberships.

It's such a fantastic course with a great bunch of members and the competitions at the moment are excellent. If only upstairs was sorted out

Members comps are definitely an issue, time needs to be given to extend these and give more people the option to get on the timesheets. Even an hour longer gives 24 members a game on saturday and sunday.

I can see why some people would leave to be honest if they cant get a game after being a member for a while. The rumored loss of members is clearly being mitigated with the uptick in memberships.

70 was the figure mentioned to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

There have been a number of members that have left to try Luttrelstown but there was no mass exodus by any means.

There is a problem with comps at the weekend and they are trying to rectify it. There is more than 3 hours for the members comps also and for bigger events like medals we get most of the day.

The issue is weekend societies taking up a lot of slots. The flexible membership is the best value in Dublin by a mile at €1,450 so there has to be a trade off. I would be happy if they raised that to 2k and got rid of societies but most people would complain. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

At the moment there is a waiting list to get in so if any members want to leave there is no one forcing them to stay!

eoghan104 wrote: »
    There have been a number of members that have left to try Luttrelstown but there was no mass exodus by any means.

There is a problem with comps at the weekend and they are trying to rectify it. There is more than 3 hours for the members comps also and for bigger events like medals we get most of the day.

The issue is weekend societies taking up a lot of slots. The flexible membership is the best value in Dublin by a mile at €1,450 so there has to be a trade off. I would be happy if they raised that to 2k and got rid of societies but most people would complain. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

At the moment there is a waiting list to get in so if any members want to leave there is no one forcing them to stay!

A few members joined Luttrelstown as 5 day members and from what I hear the place is dead with zero atmosphere.

personally I think the 7 day flexible option should be scrapped.

A few members joined Luttrelstown as 5 day members and from what I hear the place is dead with zero atmosphere.

I use the 7 day flexible myself and that is what has kept me there since moving to Naas. It just is ridiculous good value and allows you to play wherever you want without feeling like you are missing out by not playing as much as possible in your own club. Also with closures for Covid and snow the last few years it has been excellent.

I do agree that scrapping it would clear up the issues being faced at the moment but the knock on effect for the bar and pro shop would be pretty bad.

Luttrelstown is a far superior course with super practice facilities, a good bit longer though.
    Castleknock is a superior bar/restaurant atmosphere/setting.... not as luxurious as Luttrelstown though. Castleknock management has always let it down, they could do so much better with not a lot of effort. The restaurant used to the best in Dublin 15 and great value. Over the last few years its really only average but also gone very expensive. They have a BBQ set up now on the terrace so I went to get a burger after 9 holes at the weekend. It was €9.00 for a plain burger wrapped in tinfoil. That is scandalous. I skipped it and kept walking straight to the 10th tee.
    Castleknock credits is the only reason I joined (it's my second club but on my doorstep) most of my credits get spent in the bar/restaurant with the wife and kids. I had to really seriously consider rejoining this year as I'm not sure I'll get to many days out with the family over there and the only reason I did was because of the county lockdowns and not sure how long they will continue.

If I was joining a club for the golf and not a member elsewhere, Luttrelstown all the way, the extra cost is so much worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭blue note

I really like the Castleknock course. I don't get why people have such reservations about it. It's fun and interesting without being too hard. For someone of my level that's a good thing!

I really like the Castleknock course. I don't get why people have such reservations about it. It's fun and interesting without being too hard. For someone of my level that's a good thing!

It's a super course and always in fantastic condition. There will be people telling you every course is ****e if you look hard enough. Any visitors I have ever brought have loved it.

Off the blues it is a good test and that is reflected in the new course/slope ratings.

there are a few issues with it, but in general it's a good course. greens are poor ATM but lots of traffic and time of year not helping. normally much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭bustercherry

It's always been an average course with good conditioning as there are too many bland holes (first 4 on the back 9 for example). It's no where near the level of a Luttrellstown (even when their conditioning slipped) or a Killeen Castle/K Club for example; let alone the elite courses like RCD/Portrush/BallyB etc....

I think a lot of the perceived negativity "around the course" is just people pointing out it's not at the level as it has hyped itself to be rather than people saying it's sh1te. I've enjoy playing it but there are better courses/value to be had if I was looking for an open.

The club setup and carr golf is completely different though.

It's always been an average course with good conditioning as there are too many bland holes (first 4 on the back 9 for example). It's no where near the level of a Luttrellstown (even when their conditioning slipped) or a Killeen Castle/K Club for example; let alone the elite courses like RCD/Portrush/BallyB etc....

I think a lot of the perceived negativity "around the course" is just people pointing out it's not at the level as it has hyped itself to be rather than people saying it's sh1te. I've enjoy playing it but there are better courses/value to be had if I was looking for an open.

The club setup and carr golf is completely different though.

Where are the better courses at the same price point? I don't think the like of Roganstown, Corrstown or Margaret's are a patch on Castleknock

• Advertisement

Where are the better courses at the same price point? I don't think the like of Roganstown, Corrstown or Margaret's are a patch on Castleknock

It is probably a little expensive for opens alright. There is no better value membership option near Dublin City.

Advertisement