Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What I log about when I log about running

1202122232426»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

The extra iron normally kickstarts me fairly sharpish so fingers crossed you start seeing effects soon.

I’m also going to FD and no idea whether to race it or not . I think I’ll just wing it and see how I feel on the day .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Hopefully those iron meds kick in nice and fast for you. Enjoy FD10 whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

You have my sympathies over the low iron, it's a right pain. Hope you enjoy Saturday whatever way you decide to tackle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Are you running tomorrow Huzzah? Enjoy it if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Good luck tomorrow if your running ! Looks like it will be a beautiful morning anyways !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Monday, 19 August. Plan: 1 hour very easy . Actual: 1 hour@ 7:53/km HR: 148(162)

The paces this week were all way slower for the effort.

Tuesday, 20 August. Plan: 55moderate . Actual: warm up plus 55@ 7:20/km HR: 155(165)

On the tredder, so ignore the paces. Enjoyed this a lot for a treadmill run.

Thursday, 22 August Plan: 60 minute easy Actual: 1 hour@7:43/km; HR 150(160)

Effort too high. Got in a strop. Over it now.

Saturday, 24 August. Plan: 50 easy inc 5 @T Actual: T@5:57/km HR: 153(179)

FD would’ve been a struggle time wise, so I kept it local and didn’t even get a cool down in.

Sunday, 25 August. Plan: 1:45 easy Actual: 1 hour @7:25/km HR: 151(165)

Enjoyed this but cut it short to give myself a break - an unofficial step-back week if you will.

Another week in the bank. Nothing stellar but I’m happy to be getting out for five runs a week. Onwards to week five.

This was unintentional, but it is almost a year to the day since I stopped logging, so it’s as good a time as any to resurrect the log. My real reason for re-starting logging is that after a bit of a low on the health front, I’ve finally got some consistency back to my running. I’m on week eight now of an eight-week base-building plan and I hope to start a 5k plan next Monday. I think logging will give me some motivation to get through those tougher sessions, especially where there might not be a race at the end of it all. I am currently signed up for the Clontarf 5 mile (is a 5 mile a long 5k or a short 10k?). Fingers crossed it will go ahead. If not, I can always try a TT - 5k probably being the longest I could stomach as a TT.

Not to gloss over the health stuff. I’ve had Crohn’s for more than half my life. Six years ago I started a new medication and I don’t think it’s overstating it to say that it was life-changing for me. Unfortunately, I developed antibodies to it sometime last year and started to flare. My symptoms were very different to what they’d been previously, so it took a long time to figure out what was causing them. I even tried veganism to help me feel better. Desperate times! On a good day, I could run no problem. On a bad day, running wasn’t possible. Sometimes running made me feel worse, too, so I only really ran where I’d had a string of good days. Some routine testing showed where the symptoms were coming from and my medication was doubled and eventually changed. So here I am.

As to the running. Well, I’m slower than I was before, which I’d have scarcely thought possible, but being a slowcoach has never really bothered me and it still doesn’t. It would be nice to crack out a 10k training run as quickly as most of you, though! The eight-week base-building plan and the 5k plan are both LHR plans. The 5k plan is five days a week with one session to begin with, increasing to six days and two sessions.

And now, some actual running:

Monday, 17 August. Plan: Off . Actual: 13k@ 7:47/km HR: 148(162)

Skipped this on the Sunday and regretted it when the weather was torrential on the Monday. Actually enjoyed running in the rain once I got out. Debated changing all of my long runs to a Monday going forward but decided against it.

Wednesday, 19 August. Plan: 6.4k easy . Actual: 5.67k@ 7:52/km HR: 143(156)

I got a dose of the lazies and didn’t add in a loop of the park to make this the 6.4k.

Thursday, 20 August. Plan: 6X800@HMP + 400r . Actual: 2k w/up and c/d. 6*800@(6:22; 6:23; 6:16; 6:22; 6:18; and 6:19) w 200 r.

I had a quick look at an old MP workout I had saved on Garmin. Thought it looked okay for a HMP workout at my current level of fitness. Realised that the recoveries were too short during the first recovery. Contemplated quitting but stuck it out. I’ve been doing most of my recent sessions up the North Road and down Chesterfield and I can’t quite get over the feeling that it’s cheating. Doesn’t bother me enough to find another route, though!

Should’ve run on either Friday or Saturday but didn’t - part of the motivation for re-starting the log.

Sunday, 23 August. Plan: easy 13. Actual: 13@7:45/km HR: 155(168)

Not sure why the HR was so elevated for this and it didn’t really feel easy enough. I also had the mortification of having to run past half the parish out to cheer on the local club who were in the county finals - all appropriately socially distanced and be-masked of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭ariana`

Brilliant to see you back E, this has made my day! Sorry to hear about the Crohns, it's an awful dose. Hopefully the new medication will keep you stable for the foreseeable. Delighted to see you back running and wishing you the best of luck with it. It's great to have a goal in these weird times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Yaay one of my fave logs resurrected! Been great to see the regular runs on Strava recently, fingers crossed the health stays ok for that to continue. And I'm sure you've been delighted to get Excel out for the 5k plan :D

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Yaay one of my fave logs resurrected! Been great to see the regular runs on Strava recently, fingers crossed the health stays ok for that to continue. And I'm sure you've been delighted to get Excel out for the 5k plan :D

No Excel required :D The plan I bought uses Final Surge as a platform. All I had to do was input a race time and it's set up all the runs/workouts for me. It even sends them to Garmin, so I don't think I'll need to program my watch. The latter bit remains to be seen, however.

Monday, 24 August. Plan: 6.4km easy. Actual: 6.4k@ 7:52/km HR: 135(150)

A nice and easy run. Nothing of note apart from seeing actual canal boats on the canal. They're even slower than me :P

Wednesday, 26 August. Plan: 66x2minute fartlek plus 15 minute w/up and c/d. Actual: 6x2minutes@5:44; 5:30; 5:34; 5:19; 5:26; and 5:21 HR: 153(175)

The last session on the base building plan was actually an MP run but I swapped it for a wee fartlek in advance of my TT on Saturday. Felt like a big blob on the warm up and regretted not sticking to the MP run but enjoyed the fartlek a lot once I got underway. I vaguely thought these “should” be at around 5k pace, but I’d no idea what that was, so I just played around with various paces.

Thursday, 27 August. Plan: 10k Easy . Actual: 10k@7:48/km HR: 138(148)

Out in the lashing rain. Wasn’t too bad apart from Chesterfield Avenue where the wind/rain combo was right in my mush most of the way.

Saturday, 28 August

5k TT/Benchmark run (5:30; 5:44; 5:40; 5:22; and 5:03) 27:30ish. HR: 172(183)

I knew I was going to have to get a better handle on what kind of paces to run sessions at as it’s so long since I’ve done anything like this, I’ve forgotten what most efforts should feel like. I was a bit nervous heading out, which resulted in some significant procrastination, but not pre-race nervous. I’d no expectation as to what time I’d do; I was more just dreading the hurt that was to come. I asked D to accompany me on the bike for a bit of support. I regretted this initially as I was a bit embarrassed but then I was glad he was there when the going got tough. I couldn’t jack in the run having asked him to give up part of his Saturday to help me out.

So, as I said, I’d no idea what to aim for, so I set up a wide pace band on my watch of 5:30-6:00/km. I hit the North Road and took off (all things being relative) and the effort felt right: I wanted to give up almost immediately. I kept telling myself that I could slow if needed, which soon turned to: “Just run for 20minutes; that’ll be enough of a benchmark”. I kind of knew once I turned back onto Chesterfield Avenue, it would get easier and it did. This is the only aspect of the run I’m a bit disappointed with. I kind of settled into a comfortably hard pace for the fourth kilometre, rather than kicking on. I got a bit braver once in the fifth kilometre and picked up the pace. I also swallowed a fly somewhere around here and nearly revisited my breakfast as a result. With about 300metres to go, I kicked on again. I just wanted it to be over but soon regretted my hubris. I was starting to really hurt and was so glad when I hit the 5k mark - so glad, I forgot to stop my watch, hence the 27:30ish

My last 5k race was Jingle Bells way back in normal times and I ran it in approx: 28:20. I’m glad I didn’t look this time up before yesterday’s run as I wouldn’t have expected to be quicker. It was a nice surprise that I was. All in all, I’m pleased with that as a something to work from. I think I’ll keep that route for any future TTs.

Sunday, 29 August. Plan: easy 13. Actual: 13@7:33/km HR: 145(164)

I was happy to make this a shorter run if needed but the body felt good when I woke up this morning and I wanted to take advantage of the gorgeous weather, so I stuck to the plan. I decided to explore the other side of the PP as I tend to confine myself to one small corner. A really enjoyable run and I was good and tired by the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Huzzah! wrote: »
    No Excel required :D The plan I bought uses Final Surge as a platform. All I had to do was input a race time and it's set up all the runs/workouts for me. It even sends them to Garmin, so I don't think I'll need to program my watch. The latter bit remains to be seen, however.
    Wizardry!

Lovely to see this log back. Very well done in the TT at the weekend. They're the worst kind of torture in my book, and you managed to do it significantly quicker than the last race - impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I was delighted to see you back running regularly these last few months, and now you're back logging too - happy days :). Well done on the TT - nice to get an early win, so to speak. Best of luck with the plan!

That was a brilliant 5k result and even more so in a TT, very impressive.

I decided it would be better to delay starting the plan until after our week’s staycation. I got a few runs in the week before the holiday and when away but probably could’ve done better :)

Monday, 14 September. Plan: 8km easy. Actual: 8k@ 7:43/km HR: 146(162)

Keen to kick off the plan, I set off with a bounce in my step and enjoyed having nice’n’fresh legs. The plan has easy days down as easy/moderate and the pace band matches. Happy to keep these as more easy/recovery efforts if required.

Tuesday, 15 September. Plan: 8k easy Actual: 8k@7:37 HR: 150(166)

Not a glimmer of a recollection of this…

Thursday, 17 September. Plan: 6x800@LT, with 400m recovery plus 3k wup&cd. Actual: per plan: 800s@4:46; 4:43; 4:46; 4:44; 4:42; and 4:44 HR: 159(177)

I was really dreading this - I think it might even be part of the reason for me delaying starting the plan. I’d done slower 800s recently and struggled a bit at the beginning and maybe that was in my head. However, thankfully, this session went really well. I think the effort was right and I really enjoyed it. Walked the last km of cooldown as it was a roasters day and I wanted to, you know, actually cool down.

Saturday, 19 September. Plan: 8k easy. Actual: 4.6k@7:50/km HR: 145(158)

The initial weeks of the plan are unusual in that it’s day off - session - day off. As it progresses, Tuesday will become a session day and Friday will become an easy day rather than a day off, so it follows the typical Hanson/club structure of Tuesday and Thursday session, with a long run on Sunday. Anyway, enough skirting around the fact that I didn't get this done :P I thought I might do this on the Friday but I wasn’t feeling great. I still wasn’t feeling great on the Saturday but thought I’d be fine to do an easy run. I wasn’t, so I cut it short and waddled home with my tail between my legs.

Sunday, 20 September. Plan: easy 12. Actual: 12@7:34/km HR: 152(164)

Still not 100% as is evident by the elevated HR, but I was grand to get this done. That’s about all I did, though.

Monday, 21 September. Plan: 8km easy. Actual: 8k@ 7:41/km HR: 146(158)
    Tuesday, 22 September. Plan: 8k easy Actual: 8k@7:49 HR: 144(158)

Two bread-and-butter easy runs to kick the week off. I am slowly getting used to four days in a row again.

Thursday, 24 September. Plan: 5x1000@LT, with 400m recovery plus 3k wup&cd. Actual: per plan: 1ks@5:44; 5:56; 5:55; 5:57; and 5:47 HR: 152(166)

What a difference a week makes: from an Indian summer to the first sniff of winter. I was also really looking forward to this run, unlike last week. Apart from a small snafu with the watch meaning I had to record this as two runs, it all went off without a hitch. The pace band for these is: 5:40 - 5:57, so I am doing them at the slower end. Feels about right, though.

Saturday, 26 September. Plan: 8k easy. Actual: 12k@7:31/km HR: 140(159)

A slight nip in the air and another very enjoyable run. I slightly miscalculated my route, finishing the PP with 2km left to run home, I decided to keep going and convert it to this week’s long run.

Sunday, 27 September. Plan: easy 12. Actual: 8@7:33/km HR: 134(147)

A run down to the seafront meant this was a true recovery effort. Another lovely run in beautiful weather.

Monday, 28 September. Plan: 8km easy. Actual: 8k@ 7:39/km HR: 133(153)

Easy tootle around the hood.

Tuesday, 29 September. Plan: 10k easy Actual: 10k@7:15 HR: 135(150)

Strava gives me different stats for this; the GPS was dodgy at the start. I think it righted itself in the 2nd km but maybe take these paces with a pinch of salt. Not the most enjoyable of runs and was glad to get it done.

Thursday, 1 October. Plan: 4x1600@LT, with 800m recovery plus 3k wup&cd. Actual: per plan: 1600s@5:52; 5:53; 5:53; and 5:52 HR: 150(167)

Nice and even, if I say so myself. I invested in a new watch a while ago and I’m still getting used to the workout function. I made a bit of a hames of the first one, with the effect that the second one felt interminably long. I also shortened the warm up down from 3k to 2k - 15 minutes feels like a sufficient warm up to me and I’m not chasing miles.

Saturday, 3 October. Plan: 8k easy. Actual: 8k@7:21/km HR: 130(146)

A run that very nearly didn’t get run. If it wasn’t for this log, I’d have sacked it off. Delighted I didn’t, though, as it was one of those perfect runs. It felt really effortless and enjoyable from beginning to end.

Sunday, 4 October. Plan: easy 12. Actual: 12@7:27/km HR: 142(154)

Delayed by watching the marathon and then a spot of lunch. Sorry to see Kipchoge have a bad day at the office. The rain was off.putting. I left the house dressed for a tsunami and realised my error quickly enough to have shed a layer or two by the time I set off. I was still a bit full from lunch and can almost see in my splits where the full feeling left me.

So, that’s phase one of the plan completed. Onto phase two next week, which means a second session and an additional day’s running. Tbh, when I chose the plan, I knew that it moved to 6 days’ running but I didn’t realise it happened so soon. I’m enjoying 5 days’ running and work is only going to get busier, so I’ll have to see how it goes. I've been ignoring the watch for easy runs and running them solely by effort. The pace has gotten a good bit quicker while the HR seems to be dropping, but I will probably have to be a bit more disciplined for the next while with the increase in mileage and intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Monday, 28 September. Plan: 8km easy. Actual: 8k@ 7:39/km HR: 133(153)

Easy tootle around the hood.

Tuesday, 29 September. Plan: 10k easy Actual: 10k@7:15 HR: 135(150)

Strava gives me different stats for this; the GPS was dodgy at the start. I think it righted itself in the 2nd km but maybe take these paces with a pinch of salt. Not the most enjoyable of runs and was glad to get it done.

Thursday, 1 October. Plan: 4x1600@LT, with 800m recovery plus 3k wup&cd. Actual: per plan: 1600s@5:52; 5:53; 5:53; and 5:52 HR: 150(167)

Nice and even, if I say so myself. I invested in a new watch a while ago and I’m still getting used to the workout function. I made a bit of a hames of the first one, with the effect that the second one felt interminably long. I also shortened the warm up down from 3k to 2k - 15 minutes feels like a sufficient warm up to me and I’m not chasing miles.

Saturday, 3 October. Plan: 8k easy. Actual: 8k@7:21/km HR: 130(146)

A run that very nearly didn’t get run. If it wasn’t for this log, I’d have sacked it off. Delighted I didn’t, though, as it was one of those perfect runs. It felt really effortless and enjoyable from beginning to end.

Sunday, 4 October. Plan: easy 12. Actual: 12@7:27/km HR: 142(154)

Delayed by watching the marathon and then a spot of lunch. Sorry to see Kipchoge have a bad day at the office. The rain was off.putting. I left the house dressed for a tsunami and realised my error quickly enough to have shed a layer or two by the time I set off. I was still a bit full from lunch and can almost see in my splits where the full feeling left me.

So, that’s phase one of the plan completed. Onto phase two next week, which means a second session and an additional day’s running. Tbh, when I chose the plan, I knew that it moved to 6 days’ running but I didn’t realise it happened so soon. I’m enjoying 5 days’ running and work is only going to get busier, so I’ll have to see how it goes. I've been ignoring the watch for easy runs and running them solely by effort. The pace has gotten a good bit quicker while the HR seems to be dropping, but I will probably have to be a bit more disciplined for the next while with the increase in mileage and intensity.

“Easy tootle around the hood”, Christ I’m getting far to old...:)

TbL

Monday, 5 October. Plan: 8km easy. Actual: 8k@ 7:32/km HR: 139(152)

The truth is, I have no memory of these Monday runs when it comes to logging them on a Sunday, so I resort to a more general description/nonsense :o:P

Tuesday, 6 October Plan: 12x400@10k pace (200r) Actual: per plan. Reps: 2:18; 2:17; 2:14; 2:21; 2:15; 2:12; 2:20; 2:14; 2:16; 2:15; 2:15; and 2:11 HR: 153(175)

Yikes: these are all over the place! There are two reasons for this: 1. I haven’t done 10k effort/pace in 103 years, so wasn’t able to dial into the effort required; and 2. The GPS in the park I did these in was sketchy - both of the very slow reps ended under tree cover in the same corner of the park, so I think that had something to do with it.

I had to programme these into the watch myself as they were set up at 5k pace, when the plan specified 10k pace. I thought the 200 r was an error, but it was confirmed to be correct on the LHR Facebook page. I don’t really love 12 x 400s but I enjoyed these. 200r was plenty in the end and I was glad of the shorter recoveries. If the recoveries are too long, I sometimes get impatient.

Thursday, 8 October. Plan: 2x2.5k@LT, with 800m recovery plus 3k wup&cd. Actual: 2.5ks@5:51; 5:52; and 5:51 HR: 152(170)

I should’ve ran straight to the Phoenix Park to do these, but I decided to change up my route a little by running along the canal to Ashtown before entering the PP. All was going swimmingly until I got stopped mid the second rep at the level crossing. A bit of a pity but, apart from that, a very enjoyable session. I love LT-type sessions and the slower stuff. Not a huge fan of anything quicker.

Friday, 9 October. Plan: 8k easy.

Saturday, 10 October. Plan: 8k easy.

Ashamed to say I missed both of these runs. Friday’s mainly due to laziness and just not being in the habit of a Friday evening run and Saturday’s couldn’t be helped.

Sunday, 11 October. Plan: “long” 16. Actual: 16@7:06/km HR: 150(166)

The first of the Hanson-type long runs, which are faster than a traditional easy long run. I didn’t pay too much attention to the watch and just ran this at a bit more of a steady effort. The instructions do suggest that these should be more of a progressive run, however.

I do love a steady long run - the weather was fab and my legs were fairly fresh, so the miles ticked nicely by.

A less than stellar week from me, it has to be said. It seems to be that a lesson I have to learn in every training cycle is not to skip a run just ‘cause. There will be enough runs missed due to life.

I will more than likely have to drop one of the session days in this upcoming week but I will see how it goes. There’s a tasty LT session that I don’t want to miss but the sensible me thinks I should probably drop it in favour of doing the 10k session.

Ohhhh, turns out, there wasn't a run in the plan on Friday, so I didn't actually skip it - Woot!

Monday, 12 October. Plan: 8km easy. Actual: 8k@ 7:34/km HR: 139(153)

Up and down the canal, mainly thinking about how hungry I was. What is it about Mondays?

Wednesday, 14 October Plan: 6x800@10k pace (400r) Actual: per plan. Reps: 5:42; 5:38; 5:43; 5:37; 5:39; and 5:40 HR: 162(175)

I put these in wrong - that’s the pace rather than the time but I am too lazy to fix it.

This was a really enjoyable session. I did it on the North Road, so every second one was on a slight inline - looks like I overcompensated a wee bit. I was nicely buzzed after the session, I have to say.

Friday, 16 October Plan: 3k w/up 4k@LT and 3k c/d. Actual: per plan. 4K@5:51/km HR: 155(174)

Everything had to be pushed out a day this week, so I ended up doing this on Fat Friday. I was super looking forward to it but regretted my choice of Halloumi fries for lunch on the warm up. Asked D to meet me in the park to run at least some of the 4k with me. The first k felt brutal, but once I settled into a rhythm, it got better. I’m sure the downhill on Chesterfield contributed to that also. My LT HR is approx: 156 - 178, so looks good.

Saturday, 17 October. Plan: 8k easy. Actual: 7.6k@7:25 HR: 143(154)

I am used to a day off after the LT session but not this week because of rearranging my sessions. No harm as the extra day off is gone from next week. Anyway, this wasn’t as easy as my easy runs have felt of late.

Sunday, 18 October. Plan: “long” 16. Actual: 16@7:21/km HR: 153(168)

Perfect weather for a long run but maybe a bit humid? This run was also harder than recent long runs. I actually ran out of steam a bit around the 10k mark before getting a second wind. I was really conscious of how bad my form gets when I started to tire. My head was tilted to the left, partly, I assume, to counteract the heavy camber of the road but mostly due a lack of core strength, and my shoulders got really tense.

I’ve never seen the PP as busy - bumped into a work colleague and spotted another in the distance. Saw lots of people completing the Great Pink Run - fair play to them.

I mis-read the plan a few weeks ago; it’s actually this week that the 6th day of running is introduced and Tempo Thursday moves to Friday.

• Advertisement

6 down, 6 to go.

Monday, 19 October. Plan: 8km easy. Actual: 8k@ 7:30/km HR: 145(155)

No recollection. Seems to have been a harder effort than usual for a Monday.

Wednesday, 21 October Plan: 5x1k@10k pace (400r) Actual: per plan. Reps: 5:42; 5:45; 5:39; 5:37; and 5:38 HR: 159(176)

I have all of these sessions built up massively from when I did the HMM marathon plan. In my false memory, they took hours and were really hard. They actually don’t take long at all and they’re more enjoyably difficult than impossibly hard - not having a build up of cumulative fatigue in the legs makes all the difference.

Tl;dr: enjoyed this session immensely. Moved it from Tuesday as I’d my flu and pneumonia jabs on Tuesday and ended up working late to make up the time and feeling a small bit sorry for myself.

Friday, 23 October Plan: 3k w/up 5k-3k-1.5k@LT and 3k c/d. Actual: 5k@LT. 5K@5:55/km HR: 157(172)

This session looked a bit big for me and I was tossing over in my mind how to adapt it when the decision got taken out of my hands slightly. I was late finishing work and got the PP in daylight but it was twilight but the time I finished the first segment. I’d asked during the week about whether the park was off limits in the dark and it was confirmed to me that it was, so I got the hell out of Dodge. Nearly died when running past the zoo and something large was rustling in the bushes.

Bit disappointed by my splits - some KMs are outside the range - but the average is okay.

Saturday, 24 October. Plan: 8k easy. Actual: 8k@7:21 HR: 145(161)

Turns out a sausage roll and coffee isn’t the best prep for a run and I needed a pitstop a couple of kilometres in - glad the facilities are open in the park and that it’s within my 5k.

Sunday, 25 October. Plan: “long” 16. Actual: 16@6:57/km HR: 150(168)

Did this at the steadier end of the pace range as once I got into the park, there was a cold wind in my moy, so I upped the pace to get a bit warm. Really enjoyed this run. Much easier than last week. I did my typical route in reverse but was so deep in thought that I ran past the Ashtown Gate without realising. Kind of glad I did as the middle of the park was a hive of activity with virtual racers - I even managed to get a cheer for myself at one point :o The cheer seems to have spurred me on, along with hitting a downhill stretch, and I went far too fast here.

That’s another phase of the plan done and dusted. All of the LT runs are done and next week brings some VO2 max work - the necessary evil of a 5k plan, I suppose.

Delighted to see all the fab results pouring in from various virtual efforts over the weekend. I am so disappointed for you all that you didn’t get to put your hard work to the test in a race environment but you have all made the best of a bad situation by getting out there and racing to the best of your abilities nonetheless.

The weeks are ticking nicely by now. I still haven't managed a sixth run, however :P

Monday, 26 October. Plan: 8km easy. Actual: 6k@ 7:25/km HR: 137(154)

Kept this nice’n’easy after Sunday’s steady long run. Had a bit of tummy discomfort all day, so decided to shorten this to 45 minutes. It actually helped a bit.

Tuesday, 27 October Plan: 10x200m@vo2 Max (400r) Actual: per plan. Reps: 1:01; 1:01; 1:02; 1:02; 1:02; 1:03; 1:00; 1:01; 1:04; and 1:02 HR: 150(176)

Some of these were a little on the fast side, but overall a nice introduction to the VO2 max work. The 400 recoveries were plenty and I was delighted to squeeze this in at lunchtime.

Thursday, 29 October Plan: 3x2k@10k pace. Actual: per plan. Reps: 5:45; 5:40; and 5:44 HR: 153(173)

I moved this from Friday as I wouldn’t have time on the Friday to get it done. My legs didn’t really feel sessiony after Tuesday’s run but they were a wee bit heavy on the warm up for this. I ran to a local park in Cabra and was booted out after the second rep as it was closing. I ran the third rep back towards the house and finished in the park closest to me. Made a hames of the last rep when I accidentally hit lap instead of the light button. Oh well. Walked the cool down.

As an aside, I wore an old pair of three-quarter lengths running leggings for this that have a small hole in the seam and I have NEVER experienced a chafe as bad as I did on this run. It’s still scaldy today.

Friday, 30 October Plan: 8k easy. Actual: per plan. 8k@7:14/km HR: 141(151)

My legs again felt fairly fresh despite the session the night before. I have negotiated getting a few runs a week in at lunchtime by pushing my finish time out a bit. All a bit of nonsense as I rarely finish of time at this time of year, but anyway. Most noticeable thing about this run was spotting someone trying to remove a clamp with an angle grinder. I think I’d rather just pay the fine personally but each to their own.

Sunday, 1 November Plan: “long” 16. Actual: 16@7:19/km HR: 144(162)

Kept this easy, peasy lemon squeezy. I wandered up to Tolka Valley Park for a change of scene and came back along the canal, dipped into the house to lose some layers around the 11k mark and the last 4k felt long as a result. Still, I enjoy my long runs a lot and this week was no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Huzzah! wrote:
    As an aside, I wore an old pair of three-quarter lengths running leggings for this that have a small hole in the seam and I have NEVER experienced a chafe as bad as I did on this run. It’s still scaldy today.

Oh god, this has happened me before, its actually horrific! I tried to sew it to save the leggings but my sewing skills are quite poor so the resulting lumpiness was just as dangerous !

That 3x 2k session looks bloody tough, well done.

ReeReeG wrote: »

That 3x 2k session looks bloody tough, well done.

Yeah, I'm not 100% convinced that the recoveries were correct but it's done now:o

Was thinking the same, that 2k sessions looks very tough. You've had a few big sessions lately but you seem to be handling them well? Great going to be getting five runs in consistently, time enough to build up to six ;)

Good idea to negotiate a longer lunch even if it is a bit of nod to bureaucracy really, it's great to get those sessions done in daylight. I'm really missing that god damn hour :(

ariana` wrote: »
    Was thinking the same, that 2k sessions looks very tough. You've had a few big sessions lately but you seem to be handling them well? Great going to be getting five runs in consistently, time enough to build up to six ;)

I have found the 10k stuff surprisingly okay - comfortably difficult but manageable. I shouldn't have moved the 2k session to the Thursday but needs must.

Yep - you're right: in not including the 6th easy day, I've slightly skewed the balance of the plan. FinalSurge gives me a breakdown of time spent in zones and last week was just about okay in that it was 79% easy. But the week before was 70/30.

I should really have just found a five-day-a-week plan but I'm feeling quite good on it at the moment, anyway.

Monday, 3 November. Plan: 8km easy. Actual: 8k@ 7:20/km HR: 133(145)

Lunchtime run and it was windy. D drove past me as I set out and if I’d have seem him sooner, I’d have flagged him down to take me home. Decided to run this in a park close to the house as it would provide a bit of shelter. It did mean boring laps, however.

Tuesday, 4 November Plan: 12x400m@5k pace (400r) Actual: per plan. Reps: 2:14; 2:12; 2:09; 2:07; 2:09; 2:03; 2:03; 2:07; 2:09; 2:08; 2:05 and 2:11 HR: 144(168)

Did I mention that I hate 400s? Actually, again, these were more enjoyable than I expected. I am really seeing the benefit of having done a benchmark run pre plan. The last time I did these, they were much quicker; perhaps too quick for my fitness at the time? Anyway, that’s not to suggest this session was easy. They really started to bite around the 9th rep.

Thursday, 5 November Plan: 8k easy. Actual: per plan. 8k@7:30/km HR: 137(147)

More laps. Something had really annoyed me in work; I was so preoccupied as a result that the time whizzed by and the laps were irrelevant.

Friday, 6 November Plan: 5k easy. Actual: per plan. 5k@7:12/km HR: 136(157)

Easy run at lunchtime with the husbag, trying out my new leggings that replaced the chafe-makers.

Saturday, 7 November Plan: Race 5k Actual: 5k TT. 26:22@5:28; 5:29; 5:33; 5:03; and 4:48 HR: 170(181)

This is a tune-up run, so I wasn’t too nervous about it. I felt like I would beat the time I set during the benchmark TT I did before starting the plan. I was a bit slow to leave the house, though, as the prospect of 5k pain wasn’t massively enticing. I am lucky in that I have an in-house pacer that certainly makes TTs easier. I did this on the same route as I did my benchmark run. I think it has a slight net elevation loss, but as a PB is out of the question for this training block and I’m only ‘racing’ against myself, it’s no big deal.

As usual, I took off too quickly. D and I started to ‘race’ each other until I politely clarified that he was to please pace me and that 5:30s were the aim. He went out in front and steadied the pace. Just after the Cabra Gate, I noticed the pace drop significantly, so I drew alongside him to see if he was okay. Turns out it was just the tree cover giving me dodgy GPS readings. I turned left onto Odd Lamps Road but D continued on. It didn’t take him long to realise I was no longer with him, but it made his pacing gig slightly more difficult. I thought I picked up the pace here. I was really working hard but it was my slowest split. I had to smile to myself when I saw a pace that is most of your easy pace :) We turned left at the Aras and I politely asked for the pace to be increase to 5 minutes per km. While I thought this would mean slowing slightly, D’s wrong turn earlier meant he actually picked up the pace. I wasn’t able to go with him and, sure enough, this km was over the 5:00/km. The elevation really drops here on Chesterfield, so I upped the pace to catch up with D and kept pushing as hard as I could. I was starting to get funny looks, so I must have been a sight.

Unlike the last time, I had no kick at the end, so I feel like I judged the effort correctly. If I am to be a small bit critical, I don’t seem to be hitting my max HR on these, so maybe there’s more in the tank or maybe it’s due to the profile of the course? I was delighted to stop the watch at 26:22 (or 26:23 depending on who you ask). I didn’t have any goals at the start of this plan as my PB is not within reach but I was hopeful that I’d dip under the 27 minutes.

I now feel like I have a time to beat for the plan’s finale, so no doubt I’ll be much more nervous when I tackle that in four weeks’ time.

Sunday, 8 November Plan: 12 easy. Actual: 12@7:13/km HR: 141(161)

I was a small bit creaky heading out but I soon warmed into the run. It’s nice to have the odd shorter long run - feels like a bit of a treat.

Advertisement