Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mercury engineering

Options
  • 10-10-2020 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. My son isn't on boards :D. He has an interview for mercury engineering this week. He's trhrilled. Electrician apprenticeship. Would anyone have any tips?

What attire should he wear?? He doesn't want to look OTT with a suit :pac:

What questions may be asked ?? Any tips/ advice would be greatly appreciated folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭enricoh

A lad I know started with them recently in intel. He's happy enough with them. I think he gets travel money as well which I've never heard any other apprentice getting. They are taking on loads of apprentices apparently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Tredstone

enricoh wrote: »
    A lad I know started with them recently in intel. He's happy enough with them. I think he gets travel money as well which I've never heard any other apprentice getting. They are taking on loads of apprentices apparently.

Do they keep them on

If floods the market if they dont

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Hi folks. My son isn't on boards :D. He has an interview for mercury engineering this week. He's trhrilled. Electrician apprenticeship. Would anyone have any tips?

What attire should he wear?? He doesn't want to look OTT with a suit :pac:

What questions may be asked ?? Any tips/ advice would be greatly appreciated folks
    Tell him to have a look at the website, learn the history of the company and the sectors they work in.

Pretty standard stuff, Why mercury, Why electrical

Big hiring push for electricians with big jobs in Facebook and Intel coming online.

Always better to overdress than underdress as with any interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Tredstone wrote: »
    Do they keep them on

If floods the market if they dont

Depends on the guy, Good lads are always looked after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

Depends on the guy, Good lads are always looked after.

And further trained in automation whatnot. Those that aren't kept on usually stay in the industrial/ manufacturing side anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Thanks folks. I imagine it's not much of a "drilling" for apprenticeships. They young, inexperienced, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

He should wear a casual trousers and a shirt not a Jean's. He might be asked how much experience has he, what has he done, why does he want to be an electrician, does he drive as well as maybe where he sees himself in 5 years time.
    Mercury is not the best place to be an apprentice as they just want to get jobs done and they are a big company. They tend to have there apprentices do the same thing all the time which might help with getting good at one thing but not for other parts and getting other experience. He would be better doing his apprenticeship with a smaller company and then going to Mercury when he is fully trained if he wants

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

He has been asked to bring a scientific calculator to interview too ! Would it be just a basic maths test ??

• Registered Users Posts: 8 deetravels

Hey @runningbuddy, I know this was last year but how did it go? What was the maths test like? any tips?

Advertisement