Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GAMSAT SEPT 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Medchem123

Quick Q-are we allowed write on the scrap paper during the reading time? I hear we are able to start writing straight away in section 2 also since its on proctoru.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 leo of cork

Yeah I can't see why not, I presumed that you could start away during reading time no? Also hope everyone seen the reduced amount of questions on the gamsat website

• Registered Users Posts: 20 purnimasnow

Yeah I can't see why not, I presumed that you could start away during reading time no? Also hope everyone seen the reduced amount of questions on the gamsat website

How many questions are there? The demo and GAMSAT booklet say different things..

Yeah I emailed them and they said go off what it says in the booklet, 47 questions for section 1 (70mins), 2 essays (65 mins) and 75 in section 3 (150 mins).. All timing there includes reading time

Cool thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Cal100

How did the exam go? Thought it was terrible myself for section 3

Did you sit it in June? My paper was a lot better than that sitting. Not great at all, but better. Actually saw a few question in both section 1&2 repeat themselves. Not that it was helpful as I still wasn’t sure if the answers!

Did you sit it in June? My paper was a lot better than that sitting. Not great at all, but better. Actually saw a few question in both section 1&2 repeat themselves. Not that it was helpful as I still wasn’t sure if the answers!

No I didn’t sit in June.. Found the science so tough. Yes I actually saw 1 question repeated in section 3

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Blackboot

I found section 1 really hard. Usually very strong in it but found it very difficult.

Blackboot wrote: »
    I found section 1 really hard. Usually very strong in it but found it very difficult.

Agreed- honestly all round the exam was much more difficult than I had anticipated, and i sat the exam before in paper format.

• Advertisement

I was the exact same, couldn't concentrate and all and lots of vocab I've never seen. Usually my strongest but was my weakest this turn around which im very disappointed with

Lets take comfort in the fact everyone found it difficult, anyone have any clue when results are out??

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Medchem123

Lets take comfort in the fact everyone found it difficult, anyone have any clue when results are out??

I think results are late November sometime. The sooner the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Urethra Franklin.

I've sat GAMSAT twice before and did pretty good but didn't pursue further cause of cost. Redid it to purse Derry and section 3 was by far the worst and most difficult it ever was compared to the two times I sat it before, far worse. It seemed that nearly the entirety of my section 3 was physics; I don't study physics as it's only 20% and prefer to focus on chemistry. Even the chemistry was far more complicated than I ever sat before, or the mock exams. I didn't look at them but i own dee's science notes and felt like they would have been useful....they reformed the course maybe a decade ago and kind of made des's style of questions and notes irrelevant. And in the practice papers each topic tends to have maybe 3 questions and moves on....mine had 6 questions most of the time....most notably in sections I didn't have a notion how to answer. It was by far the worst section 3 I've ever done. I left early cause I knew there was nothing I could do and was just too down troden by the rest of section 3 to go over the questions I could answer. The last time I sat this exam I did better in section 3 than section 1, if I came out with a score of 20 I'd be surprised. I'm not even angry at myself for not studying harder as there was no way I could have seen that coming. if I did three times the amount of study the result would have been much the same.

Section one is always blehhhh for me. I legit don't know how to improve. The more passages I practice the worse I get. Section 2 I'm a bit disappointed I wasted a bit of time with my first essay couldn't come up with arguments so I didn't have time to make a plan for essay two and was still writing with less than 10 seconds on the clock. Second essay may have been a little repetitive and incoherent as a result. I done those practice essays in acer and scored hugely on them before 72, 74, 74, 84. These essays definitely were not to that standard. I reread an essay on a topic on space travel I had practiced and it was oddly beautiful and poignant, and I didn't even agree with the stance I took on my essay. I had to take a similar approach with essay one arguing for a point I dont believe in as it was easier to write about..... definitely wasn't as sound of an essay in comparison, and the theme was something much more prolific and meaningful.

I've sat GAMSAT twice before and did pretty good but didn't pursue further cause of cost. Redid it to purse Derry and section 3 was by far the worst and most difficult it ever was compared to the two times I sat it before, far worse. It seemed that nearly the entirety of my section 3 was physics; I don't study physics as it's only 20% and prefer to focus on chemistry. Even the chemistry was far more complicated than I ever sat before, or the mock exams. I didn't look at them but i own dee's science notes and felt like they would have been useful....they reformed the course maybe a decade ago and kind of made des's style of questions and notes irrelevant. And in the practice papers each topic tends to have maybe 3 questions and moves on....mine had 6 questions most of the time....most notably in sections I didn't have a notion how to answer. It was by far the worst section 3 I've ever done. I left early cause I knew there was nothing I could do and was just too down troden by the rest of section 3 to go over the questions I could answer. The last time I sat this exam I did better in section 3 than section 1, if I came out with a score of 20 I'd be surprised. I'm not even angry at myself for not studying harder as there was no way I could have seen that coming. if I did three times the amount of study the result would have been much the same.

Section one is always blehhhh for me. I legit don't know how to improve. The more passages I practice the worse I get. Section 2 I'm a bit disappointed I wasted a bit of time with my first essay couldn't come up with arguments so I didn't have time to make a plan for essay two and was still writing with less than 10 seconds on the clock. Second essay may have been a little repetitive and incoherent as a result. I done those practice essays in acer and scored hugely on them before 72, 74, 74, 84. These essays definitely were not to that standard. I reread an essay on a topic on space travel I had practiced and it was oddly beautiful and poignant, and I didn't even agree with the stance I took on my essay. I had to take a similar approach with essay one arguing for a point I dont believe in as it was easier to write about..... definitely wasn't as sound of an essay in comparison, and the theme was something much more prolific and meaningful.

Completely agree with you- I sat before and this was the hardest exam by far. Fingers crossed we meet the cut off!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Urethra Franklin.

Cal100 wrote: »
    Completely agree with you- I sat before and this was the hardest exam by far. Fingers crossed we meet the cut off!

I literally could have never did a tap for section 3 study wise and I would have been equally lost. Oh welllllllllllllllllllll

That sounds exactly like the S3 paper I sat in June. Really empathise with you. So infuriating and disheartening.
    Can we assume that acer are actually using some psychometric testing and only putting you on a bell curve with people who sat the same paper?

I doubt it.

I know that this year it was a bank of questions and you get what your dealt on the day, lets hope there was standardised difficulty across the board

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JK95

As a person who has sat the GAMSAT in March 2019 (received score of 52) and again in March 2020 (score of only one mark up, 53). I am really beginning to accept I will never be able to increase my score. It is becoming increasingly frustrating.

Has anyone ever looked into the SME (Study Medicine Europe) route for Graduate Entry Medicine? Or is it actually a legit course? I feel like it is being advertised everywhere (probably due to my cookies tracking etc). It seems way too good to be true. Apparently it is a 3 year course to become a qualified Doctor??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 gamsatter

I got on to MedLink as something similar happened to me, Its actually not as straight forward, In eastern Europe graduate medicine is actually undergraduate medicine that you join late. In order to do so you need to have done a science degree in order to skip the first 2/3 years. you give them your degree and they will check for you

I thought that they would try to sell it to me as though I am a non science I had done a masters and got a 2.1. turned out to be a very short conversation that they couldn't do anything! so a bit humbling XD

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Peek1

Best of luck to everyone with their scores.

How did everyone get on????

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gem2021

Got 53, v disappointed. Section 3 was brutal, only got 38. Hope everyone else did well!

How did everyone get on????

Cracked 57 so I’m happy. How did you do?

gem2021 wrote: »
    Got 53, v disappointed. Section 3 was brutal, only got 38. Hope everyone else did well!

Sorry to hear this, but don’t be put off- give it another shot in March!

66! Can't believe it. Definitely enough for veterinary.

66! Can't believe it. Definitely enough for veterinary.

That’s amazing congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cosmo6576

I got 66 - Reckon this will be enough for UCD GEM? I know it was last year, but how much do these things fluctuate?

• Advertisement

cosmo6576 wrote: »
    I got 66 - Reckon this will be enough for UCD GEM? I know it was last year, but how much do these things fluctuate?

Definitely enough, congrats

Advertisement