Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 French Open

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Steadied nicely, should be a decent 5th

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Love Tsitsipas shot making,lot's of power.

He's got a big forehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,756 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I can't believe Tsitsipas has got it to a 5th with the amount of unforced errors he made in the first 3 sets, and is still making!

Djokovic is like a drop shot machine.

The colder than normal conditions given the time of year mean that the drop shot has a higher likelihood of success as the bounce will be lower than it would have been in late May or early June.

So players like Djokovic are using it proportionally more.

Incidentally the balls they are using are also heavier than what would have been used in FO 2019.

glasso wrote: »
    The colder than normal conditions given the time of year mean that the drop shot has a higher likelihood of success as the bounce will be lower than it would have been in late May or early June.

So players like Djokovic are using it proportionally more.

Every day's a school day!! The commentators referred to it and I googled it - interesting!

• Advertisement

Not the "heart"-throwing thing Djokovic - just no!

Djokovic probably thinking that he played 90 minutes longer than he should have in advance of the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Fair play to Tsitsipas for stepping it up for a couple of sets, but I don't think the extra hour and a half will do Djokovic any harm going into Sunday.

Someone's going to make history on Sunday (and go a long way to stopping the other guy making his own), I wouldn't like to call it either way at the moment.

lostcat wrote: »
    Fair play to Tsitsipas for stepping it up for a couple of sets, but I don't think the extra hour and a half will do Djokovic any harm going into Sunday.

Someone's going to make history on Sunday (and go a long way to stopping the other guy making his own), I wouldn't like to call it either way at the moment.

Vamos Rafa.:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Vamos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭C__MC

I think Djokovic has the edge on nadal but putting him in a French open final has been problematic.

Very hard to call

Djokovic in 4

• Advertisement

C__MC wrote: »
    I think Djokovic has the edge on nadal but putting him in a French open final has been problematic.

Very hard to call

Djokovic in 4

I'm inclined to concur reluctantly.

I want Nadal to equal Federer but fear the joker has a recent psychological edge on him.

Hoping Djokovic won't take it in 5.

I am loathe to back against my favourite player and undoubted king of the clay.

if its windy, advantage Nadal

if its teeming and they close the roof, advantage Djokovic

otherwise, and all things being equal, Nadals mastery on clay nullifies the fact that Djokovic has had his number for the past few years

If it was the final of any other major, I would heavily favour Djokovic however given the sheer weight of Nadals history here, it will take a bigger effort for Djokovic to win the final than it will for Nadal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

While it's great to see Nadal and Djokovic face off again in the final, it also highlights again that the next generation simply aren't up to the challenge. While Nadal and Djokovic are still playing to a high level, they are certainly not as good as they were, but, yet they got to the final without ever looking like losing, they had a few uncomfortable sets, but, never looked like losing a match.
    It's a real shame for tennis that at least one of the younger guys isn't seriously challenging and beating them. The reality is Thiem only won the US Open because Djokovic got disqualified. It's gotten to a similar stage to where women's tennis was a few years ago when Serena was winning all her slams almost unchallenged at least that the women's game has become more competitive and widely unpredictable, but, again time has finally caught up with Serena.
    The only interesting thing about the men's game now is whose going to end up with most slams, at the moment it looks Djokovic will, even if Nadal wins tomorrow. It's a sad indictment of the next generation that Federer who is probably 10 years past his best is as likely to win a slam as they are (although after this injury lay off I don't see him winning another). We really do need to see the next generation push on and win a slam where all the big 3 are present and not knocked out because of injury or disqualification.
    It's time for the next generation to step up and push the big 3 out or anything they achieve after the big 3 finish up will lack all credibility. It's looks right now that outside of each other, time, is the biggest challenge to both Nadal and Djokovic. I'd love to see this change next year, but, don't see it happening to be honest.

I think next year will be the last year of Djokovic/Nadal dominance, the younger guys are catching up physically and their game is gradually improving as the big three slowly decline.

Some people make the 'weak era' argument about Federer (that he won most of his majors in a 'weaker era') but really this doesn't hold much water. Hewitt and Roddick were easily as good as most of what came after. Federer made it a weak era by just being much better. He isn't better than Nadal or Djokovic, but they are also outliers.

im not sure Im looking forward to the mens game mirroring the womens game. Look at who is in the womens final, as noted above you couldn't have guessed it. one of these ladies is going to win a major, and will immediatley be the 'next big thing', however the previous 10 next big things in the womens game have had fairly random results since their anointments.

The mens game going the same way doesnt hold much attraction for me, I like to look at who is in the semi finals and see the rankings more or less justified - that is to see players playing to their ranking with some consistency. If everyone can beat everyone, it kinda suggests that none of them are all that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

There is no sport more predictable than men's tennis. None. Might watch the Giro on Sunday instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,531 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Well, my prediction ruined..

Sad that theses two are still the best in tennis..

They are past their best. In their 30s, and still these young players can’t fooking best them..

I’ll go with Nole in 5.

Djokovic is 33 and Nadal 34

They are not ancient ->
    With modern training and athletes being far more focused on longevity and both living very disciplined lifestyles it's not really surprising that they can still play at a very high level.

Tennis is actually a game that is suited more than other games to lasting longer at the peak - normally short enough effort with breaks in-between.

Add to that they are 2 of the top 3 players to ever play the game.

What is actually more surprising is that they still have the ambition and hunger to be the best they can - that's what's amazing.

All being around in the same timeframe more or less and competing for the most total slams surely has something to do with it.

Besides Tsipsipas took it to five sets - not sure exactly what more he could do to make it a good competitive match? :confused:

And Djokovic was playing pretty well

I'm looking forward to seeing what will happen on Sunday - it should be a competitive match whereas Nadal has in the past been completely dominant at RG.

these titans will be missed when they are gone.

they are not just ordinary players but the best ever.

To add to that it actually means something to win a slam in men's tennis - to win you still (aside from Djokovic's disqualification) have to really earn it, take it from an actual titan.

This will help maintain the standard when they are beaten in the end - those who come after will have tried and failed and then finally beaten them but know what it means what should be required.

They won't want to roll over in the GS championship bouts.

Like Tsitsipas will have learned from yesterday.

Girly Gal wrote: »
    While it's great to see Nadal and Djokovic face off again in the final, it also highlights again that the next generation simply aren't up to the challenge. While Nadal and Djokovic are still playing to a high level, they are certainly not as good as they were, but, yet they got to the final without ever looking like losing, they had a few uncomfortable sets, but, never looked like losing a match.
    It's a real shame for tennis that at least one of the younger guys isn't seriously challenging and beating them. The reality is Thiem only won the US Open because Djokovic got disqualified. It's gotten to a similar stage to where women's tennis was a few years ago when Serena was winning all her slams almost unchallenged at least that the women's game has become more competitive and widely unpredictable, but, again time has finally caught up with Serena.
    The only interesting thing about the men's game now is whose going to end up with most slams, at the moment it looks Djokovic will, even if Nadal wins tomorrow. It's a sad indictment of the next generation that Federer who is probably 10 years past his best is as likely to win a slam as they are (although after this injury lay off I don't see him winning another). We really do need to see the next generation push on and win a slam where all the big 3 are present and not knocked out because of injury or disqualification.
    It's time for the next generation to step up and push the big 3 out or anything they achieve after the big 3 finish up will lack all credibility. It's looks right now that outside of each other, time, is the biggest challenge to both Nadal and Djokovic. I'd love to see this change next year, but, don't see it happening to be honest.
    This reminds me of Ronnie O'Sullivan's outburst at the recent snooker world champs!

Can't say there isn't an element of truth to it - but it's not as if the younger guys aren't trying, either!

The final won't hold as much interest for me as if an underdog had got into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It's the first time they've met at the French since 2015, you have the whole slam record thing which will swing one way or the other after tomorrow, and for once Nadal isn't heavy favourite going into the match. I think it'll be plenty interesting.

• Advertisement

It's the first time they've met at the French since 2015, you have the whole slam record thing which will swing one way or the other after tomorrow, and for once Nadal isn't heavy favourite going into the match. I think it'll be plenty interesting.

haven't been in the final together either since 2014

yes I think that it has the potential to be very interesting

I'm more interested in this than if Tsitsipas got there tbh as I think that Nadal would have dealt with him handily and it doesn't have the slam battle dynamics

I wouldn't miss this latest clash of 2 of the greatest ever for all the money in the world.

Much harder to call than previous years when Rafa would be expected to come through.

lostcat wrote: »

im not sure Im looking forward to the mens game mirroring the womens game. Look at who is in the womens final, as noted above you couldn't have guessed it. one of these ladies is going to win a major, and will immediatley be the 'next big thing', however the previous 10 next big things in the womens game have had fairly random results since their anointments.

The mens game going the same way doesnt hold much attraction for me, I like to look at who is in the semi finals and see the rankings more or less justified - that is to see players playing to their ranking with some consistency. If everyone can beat everyone, it kinda suggests that none of them are all that good.

Indeed.

I don't think that it will get to that low point in the men's game even though there will be a transition period for sure.

Hopefully there will be at least 4 actual quality consistent players who maintain the standard.

Tsitsipas is improving still and if can get his consistency up will be a real champion. I think that he will do it.

Sinner looks the real deal even though he's quite young and not been around that long but has shown a lot in a short time which is usually a sign of real quality.

Zeverev looks a bit of a write-off at this point unless he can man tf up.

Thiem is not going to go down as a great but will pick up a couple more slams at least.

Then you have Medvedev who is solid enough.

There are others obviously Auger-Aliassime, De Minaur etc but they have to prove their worth.

Again I think that the legends still being around at a very high level - Djokovic particularly who is still a force on every surface is no harm really and will help harden up the successors from a quality and consistency point-of-view in the long run.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Djokovic leads the h2h, but since 2017 they've split the meetings 3-3, with all of Nadal's wins being on clay. Nadal hasn't beaten him at a slam since 2014 (!) and got destroyed in Melbourne last year, but Melbourne is to Djokovic what RG is to Nadal. Nadal leads 17-7 on clay and 6-1 at RG, so it's difficult to pick against him.

I'll actually be rooting for him on Sunday, would be cool I guess to see him equal Federer, and funny to see the meltdowns from the Federer stans. I highly doubt I'll be watching unfortunately, a Nadal-Djokovic grindfest on clay just doesn't do anything for me, but I hope it's a good match for those who will be watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I don't have an issue with Nadal v Djokovic in the final and they are still playing to a high level, but, there's no doubt they aren't playing as well now as in their prime a few years ago. It still takes a high level to beat them and they're not going to give anything away softly. What I'm disappointed about is that there really isn't a consistent challenge coming from the younger guys. Even last night once Djokovic broke early in the fifth I couldn't see Tsitsipas coming back. We're praising Tsitsipas for making it competitive, but, that's the least we should be expecting.
    Eventually the younger guys will win slams, but, they need to step up and push Nadal and Djokovic out of the way rather than waiting for time to do the job for them.

I do hope the men's game doesn't go the way of the women's game, we have witnessed a golden age with the big 3, but, I do think the last year or 2 their levels have definitely dropped, but, yet the challenge from the younger guys hasn't really hurt them at slam level.

I don't like the way the women's game has gone over the last decade or so where Serena if she was in any kinda form was winning slams unchallenged and now that time has caught up with her, we are seeing different winners coming and going very quickly with very little consistency. It's good to have a few players at the top to ensure a high standard, it's unhealthy if it goes almost unchallenged.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

As for today's match, I'm indifferent. Kenin just doesn't do anything for me, and aside from the last few games of her match with Halep I've never seen Swiatek play either. In some ways Swiatek's ascent shouldn't be as much of a surprise as it is, she'd already reached two grand slam fourth-rounds before she even turned 19, but it is.

They've never played each other aside form one juniors match either, so difficult to to make any kind of informed prediction as to how it may go, so I guess just sit back and watch what happens. One thing that may be certain though is that Kenin looks like she's here to stay, two grand slam finals (or maybe titles in a couple of hours) is impressive.

I wonder if Kenin does win the title today will the media, particularly the US one, start giving a sh*t? Right now all they care about is Gauff, a player who went 4-3 at the slams this year. Even Anisimova has got a few big contracts with Nike I think. Yet with Kenin, a player who actually is getting the results and is worthy of the hype, they don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Iga did well.

Well done!

I liked that match a lot, started strong, lost few points on the way, but what a finish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,051 ✭✭✭Augme

Certainly wasn't a classic but Swiatek real does look like she could dominate the sport for a long time. She strikes the ball with an agressiveness and power that isn't often matched in the women's game. Serena obviously had it but it is rare to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Don't know about dominating but she's definitely most impressive we've seen for a while i think, in terms of power, composure, mental strength, the full package really. Could do with improving second serve and a few other aspects of her game but has lots of time to do it. Comes across really well off the court too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Renegadema

Don't know about dominating but she's definitely most impressive we've seen for a while i think, in terms of power, composure, mental strength, the full package really. Could do with improving second serve and a few other aspects of her game but has lots of time to do it. Comes across really well off the court too.

Full package? I don’t watch much tennis anymore so I’m prepared to be educated but I thought she had great power off the baseline and thrashed a weak opponent but maybe the standard of ladies tennis is that way.

Advertisement